Stove pipe won't fit through Thimble opening...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
I am installing a wood stove into an existing chimney, which has a Thimble which I can use.
I bought a Stainless Steel Chimney Liner Kit which connects the stove pipe outlet to the Liner with a 'tee'.
There was no problem installing the bottom cap, and the vertical tee section to the bottom liner then slidding it down the chimney, but that's where I hit a roadblock!
The Thimble I.D. showed 6", the horizontal tee section that I'm trying to push through and connect to the tee section on the liner pipe is a 'touch' larger, by 1/8" it looks like.
The Thimble is a clay 'pipe/tube' with a thin metal strip around the inside wall.
I called the company that I bought the kit from, and the Tech guy said couldn't I just grind that down some, to get it to fit?

I suppose that's the best, and only(?) option that I have, to get that 10" section into the stovepipe -tee?

What's the best way to go here???

*We're expecting 3+ inches of Snow here in Western Maine Saturday/Sunday.
(Don't suppose that I'll be getting up the roof till Monday, Ehh)?

Thanks to All,

Irv in Maine (CTwoodnutt.....gotta change that now).

I had the same issue, I ended up removing the old thimble, installing an 8" thimble and then running the snout to the tee. I just packed ceramic wool insulation between the snout and the thimble. Grinding like they recommend may be quicker, I used a diamond blade on my angle grinder and it made quick work. Good luck!

Hi All- No, the Thimble is probably from circa 1930 or such, when this house was built(?)

It looks like a clay pipe/tube, the thickness of a brick, with a thin metal ring on the inside wall of it>
-I've never seen anything like this, so it must be 'old-school' original.
I'm not all that comfortable with having to cut, chip, grind away on the inside edge of the old, original/existing Thimble.
.....I was wondering...
*AS A THOUGHT.....could I cut a slit through the length of the 10" Horizontal Tee-Connector pipe, then place that INSIDE this same pipe, about 1/8" then JB Weld that entire seam.
Then this pipe would easily slide through the Thimble, into the Vertical section of the Tee, which is already on the SS Liner.
JB Weld would probably be able to take the hot smoke & gasses passing through the pipe, into the chimney liner, wouldn't you say?
-This would be covered by the 90* double-walled elbow, and would fit flush with the brick of the chimney, here in my living room, so I don't think anything would leak out of it.

WHAT'S THE 'GENERAL CONCENSUS' on this idea???

I need some HELP with ideas with this guys. Please!

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt in Maine.....(4 -8+ inches of Snow tonight, storm #2)...(Then single digit temps overnight by mid to weeks end).
Oh Boy...

Hi All,
Chipped away at it all this afternoon. I got it o-u-t.
It was a thin metal strip/ring that was on the inner wall of the Thimble opening.
That, and chipped away at the old cement, which was paced around it.
*New question......do I need to use any 'special cement' to re-cement my new 6" pipe into the Thimble, or can I use regular sand mix, which I have from a mailbox-post job just last week.
I could probably finish this tomorrow.

(God only knows just HOW I'm going to get back up on my roof, to trim the top of the liner pipe, and connect it to the chimney hat/cap).

I'm thinking of: #1 - Roof-Rake the new 5" of White Stuff off roof.
#2 - throw a heavy rope over roof, tying both ends to something unmovable.
#3- tie rope around my waist, so that WHEN I fall (not IF...) I'll stay on my ass at least ON the Roof!
#4 - place a full section of extension ladder ON roof, to walk/crawl on, to get up to Chimney.
# 5 -cut top of S.S. Liner, install Chimney Cap/Hat
COMPLETE.
# 6 - OK now get off roof, IN ONE UNBROKEN PIECE!

Seriously, HOW would YOU get up on top of your roof safely NOW, with Snow...?

I've gotta get up there to complete it.

All Ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt (now, "MEwoodnutt).....gotta change my screen name somehow.

Someone more knowledgeble may say different... But I mixed up "patching cement" sets up fast. Pretty much cured overnight. Swells slightly and really locks everything together.

Again stay off the roof! Who cares if ya get a little snow/rain in there. Much safer when dry!

One thing you DON'T want to do is tie a rope around your waist. If you fall and the rope slides around your stomach your diaphragm can't work and you can pass out in as little as 30 seconds and suffocate in 3 minutes. Beg, borrow, or rent a tree climbing saddle or a bucket truck harness. That way when you fall you will just swing back in forth in front of the picture window. Better yet, wait till spring, Joe.

Regarding the cement, I don't believe you need to use a fire rated mortar for holding in your liner. Your thimble is mortared in still correct? You would use the fireplace mortar at the joints of your clay liner and thimble joint. You don't really need any in the thimble to secure the liner unless you want it fixed so it won't move. If you want to get some just ask your local hardware store for fireplace mortar. There is a product called Heat Stop and it comes in 2 or 5 gal pals pre mixed. Just check the min temp for curing. It takes longer the colder it is and is meant for thin joints.

Regarding getting on your roof with snow, no easy solution there. I climb mine to sweep once mid season and it's 7/12 pitch. The snow is usually waist deep by then so chances of sliding off are low compared to 3-5" of snow. Good luck.

Back