STRANGE husky 365 for the Russian Market...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
It used to be main saw in Soviet Union. Long ago I saw a small movie about logging in USSR. They used these Druzbas (Druzba=friendship, if I remember correctly) and Ural's (Urals=mountains in Russia) mainly for felling and bucking, as limbing would be too much pain in the ...head - that was done with saws and axes. As I know Ural is more powerful than Druzba - don't know how much, but Druzba is like 4 HP in 11kg(24Lbs).

Wow! First Latvian on AS? Long distance rep coming your way hope to hear more about logging in that part of the world from you...:clap:

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Forestryworks posted a link about a month ago in the froestry and logging forum and it shows N. Koreans using those saws to fall timber in Russia.

Got a link? Spent about 15 minutes searching for it but :-(

I sent Forestryworks a PM to ask about it, but if you can find that post it would be great.

Philbert

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I sent Forestryworks a PM to ask about it

Got this BBC link from Forestryworks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8221164.stm

it's a longer (17-1/2 minute) expose' video on the larger topic of North Korean forestry workers being exploited in Russia.

Very brief footage of these strange saws in use at the beginning, and then around minute markers 12:20 and 12:54.

Interesting (saw) in that you don't have to bend over to cut off a tree near the ground. Interesting (video) too, but that discussion belongs in the "Off the Topic Forum" or "Political Views".

Thanks (and rep) to Forestryworks.

Philbert

Brimmstone

Brimmstone

ArboristSite Operative
That would be an awesome saw to buck a tree up with. I'm 6'-8" and sometimes my back wants to quit when I'm half way through bucking a tree.

wfsdno

wfsdno

ArboristSite Operative
I imagine at the first kickback you would have a serious headache, a real spliting headache......

My local chainsaw dealer has one similar (but much older) for a mail box. His handles come straight out the back of the saw.

Roger

Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Kind of cool -- the saw must swivel so you can fell the trees watching that BBC video.

Now here's what I found really interesting:

British video, filmed in Russia, about North Koreans...and they talked about how much they got paid in terms of Dollars!

Uldis

Uldis

ArboristSite Member
Very interesting video! Some good examples of old USSR trucks and tractors.
The one caterpillar tractor is TDT 55, often called The Forest Cat. It is like a skidder - pulls logs on the platform and gets them to landing. Powerful, nimble and could get to places other tractors couldn't get. Log trucks are Ural's. Do I have to tell something about them after You watch this VIDEO?
Pretty sad about those slaves (that's what they basically are), but if somebody can get 200$ a month - it is pretty much in that area (in numbers yes, but the work they do to get it - it just is plain slavery)..
By the way - thanks for Welcome!

Last edited:
7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Very insightful videos. Not totally surprising but informative.

Reminds me of my youth when I worked on a dryland farm in Eastern Montana. Pay was $167 per month and I worked from sun up to sun down 7 days a week. Seems not too bad until you realize in northern Montana sun up is about 5:30 and sun down is about 10pm. Slept on a cot in the kitchen of their shack and ate salt pork and beans three meals a day. Out house was out back and I used it a lot because the water was alkali water. They mixed it with Kool Aid so that it was palatable (it tasted like the old Fizzies).

Of course this was a few years ago.

7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
7Oaks, what was going on there! That's a tough way of life. I'd be in the outhouse plenty also, glad you were able to move on.

This thread rocks :cheers:

Those were hardscrabble times. But life gets better. My next job was desk clerk at a XXXX hotel. Cheapest room $1.25 per night. Most expensive $5.25 per night. And my pay? Fifty cents per hour. After an 8 hour shift I went home with $4 in my pocket or $160 per month. My next job was even better as a private in the U.S. Army. $99 per month and a free trip to Vietnam.

I guess what I'm saying here is that things weren't always rosey here in the States and young people today don't have an appreciation for how good they have it.

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Very interesting video! Some good examples of old USSR trucks and tractors.
The one caterpillar tractor is TDT 55, often called The Forest Cat. It is like a skidder - pulls logs on the platform and gets them to landing. Powerful, nimble and could get to places other tractors couldn't get. Log trucks are Ural's. Do I have to tell something about them after You watch this VIDEO?
Pretty sad about those slaves (that's what they basically are), but if somebody can get 200$ a month - it is pretty much in that area (in numbers yes, but the work they do to get it - it just is plain slavery)..
By the way - thanks for Welcome!

Urals ROCK!!!!
IF you can keep 'em running. Crazy coot up the road has one, and it reminds me of our old Military 2.5 Ton trucks. WAAAY overbuilt, but cantankerous, just like Belarus tractors. Cool vid!! Thanks!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts