Stress Head crane ops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I can assure you it is actually me in all my videos Dave, they are edited though to fit into the 10min youtube time-slot. Fiction, to me sounds like pretend, when in fact they couldn't be any more truthful.

Wasn't referring to you specifically Reg but pretty much every crane vid just shows the hooked up piece, the cut, and the takeaway. All the fumbling around before, during, and after is left on the cutting floor rendering the job and climber perfect. Fiction.

Crane jobs are in appearance the most dramatic thing we do. But they are anything but IMO. Climbing a huge decurrent tree without spikes for big deadwood, cutbacks etc over a delicate landscape, wires or a slate roof or traffic is by far the most difficult......and removing a huge no bark dead tree or blow over on a building.... over similar landscape with no truck access is the most dangerous job we do. Crane climbers are the prima donna's or poster boys in our trade.

Everone wants to talk the biggest crane and the biggest pick when in reality the biggest crane or the biggest pick may not fit the job often. Using your brain more and sometimes a smaller crane is often more desirable. Crushing driveways, burrying groundies, scraping wires and gutters and tearing limbs off treasured specimen trees are often the price paid by being greedy or a show off......or just plain inexperienced or :monkey:

I wanta grab the biggest piece for the situation. Sometimes I want to hook up a big piece on a blow over on the side of a building before it starts going crooked in its structure. But if it is an uproot you gotta be careful it doesn't get to much weight off at once and have a treerection.....boing :) (just made that word up)

My answers are in Bold Dave

Wasn't referring to you specifically Reg but pretty much every crane vid just shows the hooked up piece, the cut, and the takeaway. All the fumbling around before, during, and after is left on the cutting floor rendering the job and climber perfect. Fiction.

Dave I dont think anyone denies the fumbling and cutting thereafter on the floor, just that it'd be boring to watch on the video....dare I say it, fact?

Crane jobs are in appearance the most dramatic thing we do. But they are anything but IMO. Climbing a huge decurrent tree without spikes for big deadwood, cutbacks etc over a delicate landscape, wires or a slate roof or traffic is by far the most difficult......and removing a huge no bark dead tree or blow over on a building.... over similar landscape with no truck access is the most dangerous job we do. Crane climbers are the prima donna's or poster boys in our trade.

I had no idea there were climbers who did soley crane work. At least in the U.K and other places Ive worked, if you cant do it all then you'll really stuggle to find regular work. Probably 30% of my work is pruning, the rest is conventional rigging and a smaller proportion of that is crane work. To a much lesser extent also I get hired to straight fall Large or dangerous trees where they are considered high risk.

If I had to do crane work all the time I think I'd get bored very quickly. For similar reasons I've been a contract climber since I was 22....without the variety I get dispondant, no offence to any one who prefers the security and shelter of being a permanent employee.

Prima donna's, yep I've sure come across plenty of those....and generally the most defensive, in-secure and super-sensitive types of all when you scratch below the surface....

Everone wants to talk the biggest crane and the biggest pick when in reality the biggest crane or the biggest pick may not fit the job often. Using your brain more and sometimes a smaller crane is often more desirable. Crushing driveways, burrying groundies, scraping wires and gutters and tearing limbs off treasured specimen trees are often the price paid by being greedy or a show off......or just plain inexperienced or :monkey:

The pine tree earlier was picked with a 25t, and on saturday we have a 10t city-crane on the job, only 6ft, wide, 24m stick, so will get in practically anywhere. Access around here is terrible for the best part.

I wanta grab the biggest piece for the situation. Sometimes I want to hook up a big piece on a blow over on the side of a building before it starts going crooked in its structure. But if it is an uproot you gotta be careful it doesn't get to much weight off at once and have a treerection.....boing :) (just made that word up)

Oh, and as well as being generally easy on the body, crane work is also comparatively easy to edit as the video only consists of a dozen or so shots.

Oh and back to the original topic, the guy called me the next morning to apologise....with him being the owner of the crane company and all, apparently had real drama's going on at other jobs that day.

Oh and back to the original topic, the guy called me the next morning to apologise....with him being the owner of the crane company and all, apparently had real drama's going on at other jobs that day.

IMO, it takes a real man to call/visit and apologize like that.

I'd do work again with him.

Jeff

My answers are in Bold Dave

I hope you know I was talking about crane work in general and no way was I referring to you specifically (other than the editing....which is obviously a necessity....which still renders the product fiction, but everyone does it)....

to put it another way...everything that was in your vid actually happened...but everything that actually happened (in the time span of the removal)....wasn't in your vid. Tend to make the subject look a bit the genius...No?

Back on topic....er what was it....meanie crane ops.....I got 3 subs I work with over the years and all 3 are so cool they could disarm bombs with their time off.

Last edited:
I hope you know I was talking about crane work in general and no way was I referring to you specifically (other than the editing....which is obviously a necessity....which still renders the product fiction, but everyone does it)....

Of course not Dave, and refreshing to be able to talk crane work without the thread turning into a farce.

to put it another way...everything that was in your vid actually happened...but everything that actually happened (in the time span of the removal)....wasn't in your vid. Tend to make the subject look a bit the genius...No?

Well rest assured, it is not my goal to dress something up as something it isn’t. And with respect, genius is too big a word for tree-cutting IMO, although I am told that Ed Hobbs WAS/ IS that man, with talents far beyond the scope of tree-work.

FWIW, here’s a couple of shots from the weekend, purposely with a lot less edit to prove both of our points. 8 youtube minutes for 2 – 60ft picks....normally I’d cram 10 cuts into a slot of that duration.

I have added a little Verdi for effect, although that’s not too far from the truth either, as is the kind of nonsense that goes through my mind on a job as such.

Rather than fight the wind with the boom, I cut from the other side, hence not as smooth as I’d intended.

You want slow and fumbling Dave, try this brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDFhvc7dYM

Not to forget, thanks for the kind words from the other poster's who actually enjoy watching the vids, although making them is as boring as hell.

FWIW, here’s a couple of shots from the weekend, purposely with a lot less edit to prove both of our points. 8 youtube minutes for 2 – 60ft picks....normally I’d cram 10 cuts into a slot of that duration.

I have added a little Verdi for effect, although that’s not too far from the truth either, as is the kind of nonsense that goes through my mind on a job as such.

Rather than fight the wind with the boom, I cut from the other side, hence not as smooth as I’d intended.

I don't think I like it.....

I love it.......great to actually see someone move from point a to point b in a crane vid. And what you call an adjustment cut from the wind is closer to the cut I prefer than the one you always use which looks to get the saw stuck and maybe bend the bar and is so slow. My fave is choke on the back of the piece, make a front cut half way in and a back cut that runs right into it and pops right off like opening a can of Coke. To each his own. LOVE the music as well.

Remember when you and I were over on TW and the guy makes you and me mods? Well my first official thing I did was ban your ass. :) Then you tried to ban my ass back but couldn't cause your ass was already banned. Big fun.

I better watch out critiquing your vids. You might turn mod on me and ban my ass. :jester:

Remember when you and I were over on TW and the guy makes you and me mods? Well my first official thing I did was ban your ass. :) Then you tried to ban my ass back but couldn't cause your ass was already banned. Big fun.

I better watch out critiquing your vids. You might turn mod on me and ban my ass. :jester:

You banned from the expo next month, I took care of that already!

Check out the pine cuts again Dave, like peeling an orange.

Last edited:
Since we are critiquing your vids, I'd like to make a request: Please show more setting of lift points, along with commentary of why & how.

It is very rare for me to use a crane, so the "how to" is of far greater value to me than the images of chainsaws cutting a big limb or watching a crane carry some big chunk away.

Quite frankly, I haven't figured out how you get those branches to balance so nicely during the lift. I imagine that it is as much art as it is science to keep them from flipping and twisting around when released from the trunk.

BTW: Rigoletto was nice. I imagine Toreador would work well with a crane video also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqEn57tVA1s&feature=related
Somehow the dialogue seems to work well for slaying trees, too. Too bad we don't get as good a press as the bullfighters do.

pertinent lyrics extracted from the English translation:

...For it is a celebration of courage! It is the celebration of strong-hearted men!
...And think, yes, think as you fight, That a dark eye is watching you, And that love awaits you.
...People are fleeing, they jump over the railings. It is your turn now. Come on!...

Last edited:
BTW: Rigoletto was nice. I imagine Toreador would work well with a crane video also.
[/I]

+1, on both accounts. Good call PDQDL. Rep to ya. How did you ever think to pull toreador? Fits like a glove with Reg's style.

BTW, is it really Reg, or is that short for Reginald or something else?

God bless,

Jeff

+1, on both accounts. Good call PDQDL. Rep to ya. How did you ever think to pull toreador? Fits like a glove with Reg's style.

BTW, is it really Reg, or is that short for Reginald or something else?

God bless,

Jeff

Birth certificate says Reggie, although most call me by the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqEn57tVA1s&feature=related
Somehow the dialogue seems to work well for slaying trees, too. Too bad we don't get as good a press as the bullfighters do.

pertinent lyrics extracted from the English translation:

...For it is a celebration of courage! It is the celebration of strong-hearted men!
...And think, yes, think as you fight, That a dark eye is watching you, And that love awaits you.
...People are fleeing, they jump over the railings. It is your turn now. Come on!...

youse guys are gettin awful cultured and sophisticated.....but wait....

what was that noise.....

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft :fart:

I think somebody farted and ruinned it all :laugh:

Reginald?

So what is this? You guys contracted a hot headed crane op who didn't jive with your regular crew? Maybe he was taken aback by all the tea drinking, krumpet eating calm coolness you guys portray. Hey, I was kinda taken aback myself but in a good way.
Well don't go letting something like this spoiling T time Reg.:cheers:

Reginald?

So what is this? You guys contracted a hot headed crane op who didn't jive with your regular crew? Maybe he was taken aback by all the tea drinking, krumpet eating calm coolness you guys portray. Hey, I was kinda taken aback myself but in a good way.
Well don't go letting something like this spoiling T time Reg.:cheers:

Reginald....no thankyou, I draw the line at that Danno

We've been hiring him near 10 years now....and he is actually the most intuitive and pro-active op Ive worked with. But at this stage in his life I just think perhaps he should concentrate on running the business, and leave the crane work to his guys

Of course not Dave, and refreshing to be able to talk crane work without the thread turning into a farce.

Well rest assured, it is not my goal to dress something up as something it isn’t. And with respect, genius is too big a word for tree-cutting IMO, although I am told that Ed Hobbs WAS/ IS that man, with talents far beyond the scope of tree-work.

You want slow and fumbling Dave, try this brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDFhvc7dYM
I like that you actually know the proper way to use a shackle , its the little things that show experience that builds respect..And If you know the proper way than you know what I mean

got back late monday night from that little road trip..... nice to see you boys getting along so swimmingly with all the grab ass you guys are playing with each other. it's cute, really is.

hey reg, disregard the lying inquiry i was making. the way i read a previous post it sounded as if you were saying that i am less than truthful in my postings. i guess you were not.

that said...

i hate to sound like an ass hole reg but i gotta say i am not all that impressed. i am trying. i really am, i promise you that much. just not feeling it though....and then with the peanut gallery chiming in it tells me that there is a thirst for knowledge about the best way to handle crane assisted removal. and that leads me to the belief that what you are showing is actually not the best method. (i love the log dolly btw)

the "peeling an orange cut" leads to pinch city (did i see a little video editing on the pine removal vid?). what saw are you using? your 390? and you are cutting half assed with the thing! it kinda tells me that you might not always know where the pinch is coming from so you kinda just slowly chase it as you cut...... i don't know man its so very hard to explain on the net and in written gibberish but the way i run the saw in the cut is so very different than your way. almost too slow and deliberate. why even use a big powerful saw?

that cut with the wind (the poplar vids of real time action) was almost close to a normal cut but what i wouldve done knowing the growth of the piece slung is going to drag itself off the cut is to have gotten on the back side of that leader first and then cut first what you cut last. maybe almost half way and then come from the top side and met the back cut allowing the piece to float harmlessly away like it tried to do while you were fiddling half throttle with it on the top side originally....

thats on a limb like the one in the vid.

on the pine tree butt you so worried about flipping i would put the choke on the weighted side and had the op boom up just a couple feet to be able to gain the center of gravity when the work comes free. the cut you ask? well knowing that she is weighted that way towards the boom i would pretend to make a felling cut and start the gunning cut in the direction of the weight (towards the boom in this case like the pine had grown.) and then came around with the power head and then finish the cut the same way you would as is you were felling it. meet the kerf from the begging of the cut and then watch the piece sit ever so gently into the boom and then float off toward the chipper. you are not catching the weight because you both ( op and climber) are on the same page weight wise and have the proper amount of tension on the line. these cuts are made at full throttle.

Lol, and the truth comes out-you've been pissy ever since you found out you aren't the top crane guy in the country or even the northeast. How do you think the boss pays me what he does? My crew usually does $100k worth of work for him a week. My crane will do in one pick what takes yours three. Get over it, you're still in the bush leagues. I personally know two other outfits in my state that bring in more than you doing crane work.

Final thought, why are pics so essential for you?

i guess what bothers me the most wulf is that in all the times that i have been around the game for the different companies doing crane related tree work where i am now i know for a fact that they (all the other companies) could not compete with the crew i am on now. i know this as fact. and believe me dude i have been around a bit seeing a few things along the way.

but if there is a better way of doing things and if there is a better climber than i doing it then i would like to see this thing in action. i love tree related vids and pics, that is why i have a hard on for them.... hence me always wanting pics and vids. i just want some proof is all! anyway, yes, in your written word you have proven to be very persuasive in proving that you indeed do know your ****. and i'd just like a chance to see......

here is what i am going to ask of you. i remember telling you in a pm that i long for the days of working with or seeing someone work with more tree skill than i. a day were i can for once feel almost like a student and have the chance to watch and learn but that that hasn't happened in a long time.

sometimes at work i bring up certain topics about AS when the operator and i are talking through the day..... these crane threads more often than not if you'd believe it and while both supe and i are confident in our game we would love the opportunity to see a company of your caliber work. your business model and money number interests him while your method is what i want i want to see.

we may be taking a company break in late november and we would love to come out and see your crew work. just kinda come on out and check out the way you go conduct your business.

you guys would obviously have to provide nothing of course! this trip would be on jm's dime. we obviously would bring our hardhats!!!

and yes you were so very right about using a top handle in crane assisted removals and why i am so vocal against them now. i did in fact learn from my mistake and missed the opportunity to learn from your advice.

anyway, big dawg. what say you? can we make this happen?

even though 19k is #### for weight and your a ####Y I like your style , You are my new hero and from this point on I will NEVER DISRESPECT YOU , REP SENT....

I like that you actually know the proper way to use a shackle , its the little things that show experience that builds respect..And If you know the proper way than you know what I mean

you really are a complete donkey.

what the f is wrong with your dumb ass? you want to put a 300+ ton crane on a tree job? how many tree only companies you know with 100+ cranes??!!!

19k pounds is a monster pick in of itself and if you are taking bigger than that where the hell are you going to be putting the pieces? any much bigger than that and you start talking about trees not being able to handle the weight of themselves at sling points and structurally failing!

besides that kinda pick'n would take you and your vermeer all day to process.

and in regards to proper shackle usage there is only one way. that **** you learn on your first pick with a shackle.

idiot.

Latest posts

Back