Stress Head crane ops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got back late monday night from that little road trip..... nice to see you boys getting along so swimmingly with all the grab ass you guys are playing with each other. it's cute, really is.

hey reg, disregard the lying inquiry i was making. the way i read a previous post it sounded as if you were saying that i am less than truthful in my postings. i guess you were not.

that said...

i hate to sound like an ass hole reg but i gotta say i am not all that impressed. i am trying. i really am, i promise you that much. just not feeling it though....and then with the peanut gallery chiming in it tells me that there is a thirst for knowledge about the best way to handle crane assisted removal. and that leads me to the belief that what you are showing is actually not the best method. (i love the log dolly btw)

the "peeling an orange cut" leads to pinch city (did i see a little video editing on the pine removal vid?). what saw are you using? your 390? and you are cutting half assed with the thing! it kinda tells me that you might not always know where the pinch is coming from so you kinda just slowly chase it as you cut...... i don't know man its so very hard to explain on the net and in written gibberish but the way i run the saw in the cut is so very different than your way. almost too slow and deliberate. why even use a big powerful saw?

that cut with the wind (the poplar vids of real time action) was almost close to a normal cut but what i wouldve done knowing the growth of the piece slung is going to drag itself off the cut is to have gotten on the back side of that leader first and then cut first what you cut last. maybe almost half way and then come from the top side and met the back cut allowing the piece to float harmlessly away like it tried to do while you were fiddling half throttle with it on the top side originally....

thats on a limb like the one in the vid.

on the pine tree butt you so worried about flipping i would put the choke on the weighted side and had the op boom up just a couple feet to be able to gain the center of gravity when the work comes free. the cut you ask? well knowing that she is weighted that way towards the boom i would pretend to make a felling cut and start the gunning cut in the direction of the weight (towards the boom in this case like the pine had grown.) and then came around with the power head and then finish the cut the same way you would as is you were felling it. meet the kerf from the begging of the cut and then watch the piece sit ever so gently into the boom and then float off toward the chipper. you are not catching the weight because you both ( op and climber) are on the same page weight wise and have the proper amount of tension on the line. these cuts are made at full throttle.

i guess what bothers me the most wulf is that in all the times that i have been around the game for the different companies doing crane related tree work where i am now i know for a fact that they (all the other companies) could not compete with the crew i am on now. i know this as fact. and believe me dude i have been around a bit seeing a few things along the way.

but if there is a better way of doing things and if there is a better climber than i doing it then i would like to see this thing in action. i love tree related vids and pics, that is why i have a hard on for them.... hence me always wanting pics and vids. i just want some proof is all! anyway, yes, in your written word you have proven to be very persuasive in proving that you indeed do know your ****. and i'd just like a chance to see......

here is what i am going to ask of you. i remember telling you in a pm that i long for the days of working with or seeing someone work with more tree skill than i. a day were i can for once feel almost like a student and have the chance to watch and learn but that that hasn't happened in a long time.

sometimes at work i bring up certain topics about AS when the operator and i are talking through the day..... these crane threads more often than not if you'd believe it and while both supe and i are confident in our game we would love the opportunity to see a company of your caliber work. your business model and money number interests him while your method is what i want i want to see.

we may be taking a company break in late november and we would love to come out and see your crew work. just kinda come on out and check out the way you go conduct your business.

you guys would obviously have to provide nothing of course! this trip would be on jm's dime. we obviously would bring our hardhats!!!

and yes you were so very right about using a top handle in crane assisted removals and why i am so vocal against them now. i did in fact learn from my mistake and missed the opportunity to learn from your advice.

anyway, big dawg. what say you? can we make this happen?

I'm down for the show. Not that I doubt you, beowulf, I'd just like to see the operation. I promise, no pics posted to AS, merely a learning op. You can't be THAT far from me....Talk to the boss, if he's down, we'll set up a training day ( maybe money in his pocket ) and let us view the op. Newbies, like myself, as well as ol' buzzidz would be sure to join in the fun.

got back late monday night from that little road trip..... nice to see you boys getting along so swimmingly with all the grab ass you guys are playing with each other. it's cute, really is.

hey reg, disregard the lying inquiry i was making. the way i read a previous post it sounded as if you were saying that i am less than truthful in my postings. i guess you were not.

that said...

i hate to sound like an ass hole reg but i gotta say i am not all that impressed. i am trying. i really am, i promise you that much. just not feeling it though....and then with the peanut gallery chiming in it tells me that there is a thirst for knowledge about the best way to handle crane assisted removal. and that leads me to the belief that what you are showing is actually not the best method. (i love the log dolly btw)

the "peeling an orange cut" leads to pinch city (did i see a little video editing on the pine removal vid?). what saw are you using? your 390? and you are cutting half assed with the thing! it kinda tells me that you might not always know where the pinch is coming from so you kinda just slowly chase it as you cut...... i don't know man its so very hard to explain on the net and in written gibberish but the way i run the saw in the cut is so very different than your way. almost too slow and deliberate. why even use a big powerful saw?

that cut with the wind (the poplar vids of real time action) was almost close to a normal cut but what i wouldve done knowing the growth of the piece slung is going to drag itself off the cut is to have gotten on the back side of that leader first and then cut first what you cut last. maybe almost half way and then come from the top side and met the back cut allowing the piece to float harmlessly away like it tried to do while you were fiddling half throttle with it on the top side originally....

on the pine tree butt you so worried about flipping i would put the choke on the weighted side and had the op boom up just a couple feet to be able to gain the center of gravity when the work comes free. the cut you ask? well knowing that she is weighted that way towards the boom i would pretend to make a felling cut and start the gunning cut in the direction of the weight (towards the boom in this case like the pine had grown.) and then came around with the power head and then finish the cut the same way you would as is you were felling it. meet the kerf from the begging of the cut and then watch the piece sit ever so gently into the boom and then float off toward the chipper. you are not catching the weight because you both ( op and climber) are on the same page weight wise and have the proper amount of tension on the line. these cuts are made at full throttle.

Hey Justin, I'm glad you made it back safely....we were just killing time untill you got back really!

There is so much wrong with wrong with your post, too much to list this morning as I'm heading out in a minute. I'll give it to you though, its dam funny, as usual. There's perhaps only one other person that could put a smile on my face this early but she is only 19months old. I'll reply to you later on when I get some time. Thanks again and have a great day. Sincerely, Reg

Reginald....no thankyou, I draw the line at that Danno

We've been hiring him near 10 years now....and he is actually the most intuitive and pro-active op Ive worked with. But at this stage in his life I just think perhaps he should concentrate on running the business, and leave the crane work to his guys

Hey, i didn't call you Reginald and I will just let you be for now as it seems you have your hands full with OD wanting to be chums and all.

Nothing wrong with being civil Justin, trash talking very rarely leads to anything good.

that said...

the "peeling an orange cut" leads to pinch city Speak for yourself my son, knowing how to sling a tree makes childs play of the cutting part. (did i see a little video editing on the pine removal vid?). Do you want me to make another long winded video just to prove I’m not hiding stuff? I could’ve made those cuts practically blindfolded. Comments like that are a waste of my time and your time. what saw are you using? your 390? and you are cutting half assed with the thing! it kinda tells me that you might not always know where the pinch is coming from so you kinda just slowly chase it as you cut......
If I have to, yes absolutely. Chasing/limiting the holding wood to the outside, we want static - slow release wherever possible, whizzing though a log fast rarely achieves this.
i don't know man its so very hard to explain on the net and in written gibberish but the way i run the saw in the cut is so very different than your way. almost too slow and deliberate. why even use a big powerful saw?
You miss the point once more, I don’t need the power so much as the long bar to reach around.

that cut with the wind (the poplar vids of real time action) was almost close to a normal cut but what i wouldve done knowing the growth of the piece slung is going to drag itself off the cut is to have gotten on the back side of that leader first and then cut first what you cut last. maybe almost half way and then come from the top side and met the back cut allowing the piece to float harmlessly away like it tried to do while you were fiddling half throttle with it on the top side originally.... The slings, lean and position of the boom did in fact favour my original direction of cut, but when the wind picked up it took a hold of the situation. I could’ve waited for it to drop, but then again it may have gotten worse hence the change of cutting direction. The second pick, well, I’ve learn’t through experience that when you depend on the wind as your aid, it holds back and laughs at you.
The first pick came off ok, but the second was actually quite bad. Watch it again and you’ll notice a bounce? Well believe it or not that bounce turned a 3 ton lift into 3.8 which set the buzzer’s off, not good. Now I tried to release it slow even after the change of cutting direction (the half-ass sawing as you wrongly interpreted it) but with the top twisting and what not it was difficult to interpret how much the opening of the kerf was due to the wind, or Andy (crane-op) over tightening. To our detriment on this occasion, it turned out to be the latter.

You know I cant believe you could perceive that to be the extent of my expertise at this stage of career, just trying to make it through a cut without trapping the saw and then get both the pick and myself the hell out of the way....like thats all I have to consider! Perhaps that suggests more about you than it does me?

on the pine tree butt you so worried about flipping Whoever said that Justin, that I was worried? I wasn’t worried in the slightest, because I knew the best way to control the situation. i would put the choke on the weighted side and had the op boom up just a couple feet to be able to gain the center of gravity when the work comes free. the cut you ask? I didn’t ask well knowing that she is weighted that way towards the boom i would pretend to make a felling cut and start the gunning cut in the direction of the weight (towards the boom in this case like the pine had grown.) and then came around with the power head and then finish the cut the same way you would as is you were felling it. meet the kerf Mate, now who’s half assing around? from the begging of the cut and then watch the piece sit ever so gently into the boom and then float off toward the chipper. you are not catching the weight because you both ( op and climber) are on the same page I right the page for him, he don’t have to do nothing, carry on talking on the phone for all that it matters. And there lies the main difference between the way you and I operate. weight wise and have the proper amount of tension on the line. these cuts are made at full throttle.

You have yet to show one smooth pick in real time, unless I have missed something in which case I apologise. You told me in the past its coming and this and that, but I’m still waiting. Talk is cheap, you pretty much said the same to Beowulf earlier.

I looked at the Marquis Website. Are you the big goofy guy to the far left in that last photo, I’ll bet? Well you all look cheerful enough in real life, good. Collectively it looks great with all that equipment, but individually it tells me little if nothing at all. The photo’s and video....what?

Don’t get upset, but I think you may lack some very fundamental knowledge/experience of rigging, almost like you’re running without first learning to walk....at least, that’s how your posts read. Otherwise I surely wouldn’t have to explain the basic dynamics of every given situation. I do hope, however, that I am wrong and that you just can’t write for $hit.

My advice to you is to leave your permanent role at Marquis, at least if you want to get better. I don’t see how else you’re going to get improve with such limited exposure. No offence meant.

i get it now reg. i thought some of your situation out a bit in my head and i realized something.

you contract climb.

you going to make sure you get your rate in for the day. you are not up against the clock so to speak. sure you need to perform otherwise you would not being working all that much but other than that it matters not to you if the job is done by lunch or by days end. you still get yours regardless. and thats all good too.

me? i like being the work horse at jm's farm and truthfully at this particular stage of my life i do not really want to go work for myself. just yet that is. i'll get there soon enough.

reg. i am a climber first and foremost. i climb trees. my only skill is not just crane work. hell man i am a better climber than i am a crane climber.....

so your attack on my rigging skills and how to find center of gravity with 1 or 2 slngs doesn't hold much water, to me at least. i've manually ripped down enough trees in the urban and city setting to know what the scoop is.

and leaving marquis would make no sense, reg. none. there is no other company around here that could hang with this crew..... why would i take a down step in my tree career. usually when you leave a company it is for greener pastures, no? i am in a good spot work wise. from the vids though i know it wouldn't be that good of a work environment for you. not sure you could "hang" so to speak.

but you are right, reg. other than condescending remarks and attitude and before and after and during pics of my work and some fly time-lapse vids i haven't shown proper cutting and slinging ****..... (and how to move through the tree post sling'n. my goodness you take your time doing that too!)

i intend to fix that asap. i need to show the world you all can kiss my ass and that i haven't just been breaking balls for the fun of it.

don't hold your breath reg but soon i'll have a little something to bring to the table vid wise.

oh, and....

goofy, reg? look at you man. your head looks like a meatball on a toothpick. at least i am a 6ft6inch athlete. not a little fella such as yourself.

Last edited:
Reply in bold again

i get it now reg. i thought some of your situation out a bit in my head and i realized something.

you contract climb.

you didn't listen to a dam thing I said did you?

you going to make sure you get your rate in for the day. you are not up against the clock so to speak. sure you need to perform otherwise you would not being working all that much but other than that it matters not to you if the job is done by lunch or by days end. you still get yours regardless. and thats all good too. 99 out of 100 jobs are done without a hitch

me? i like being the work horse at jm's farm and truthfully at this particular stage of my life i do not really want to go work for myself. just yet that is. i'll get there soon enough.

reg. i am a climber first and foremost. i climb trees. my only skill is not just crane work. hell man i am a better climber For how long and with whom? than i am a crane climber.....

so your attack on my rigging skills and how to find center of gravity with 1 or 2 slngs doesn't hold much water, to me at least. i've manually ripped down enough trees in the urban and city setting to know what the scoop is. I certainly didn't attack you. On the contrary I was very considerate, open minded and hopeful....if I attacked you, you would realise the difference

and leaving marquis would make no sense, reg. none. there is no other company around here that could hang with this crew..... why would i take a down step in my tree career. usually when you leave a company it is for greener pastures, no? i am in a good spot work wise. I meant as a contract climber, go and see the world, it would change you forever from the vids though i know it wouldn't be that good of a work environment for you. not sure you could "hang" so to speak. Ha, dont kid yourself

but you are right, reg. other than condescending remarks and attitude and before and after and during pics of my work and some fly time-lapse vids i haven't shown proper cutting and slinging ****..... (and how to move through the tree post sling'n. my goodness you take your time doing that too!)

i intend to fix that asap. i need to show the world you all can kiss my ass and that i haven't just been breaking balls for the fun of it.I wont be kissing any part of you, not now not ever

don't hold your breath reg but soon i'll have a little something to bring to the table vid wise.

oh, and....

goofy, reg? look at you man. your head looks like a meatball on a toothpick. Why thankyou at least i am a 6ft6inch athlete.Athlete, shut up now not a little fella such as yourself.
Well dude, I cant help that. So will I see you at TCI or what?

you really are a complete donkey.

what the f is wrong with your dumb ass? you want to put a 300+ ton crane on a tree job? how many tree only companies you know with 100+ cranes??!!!

19k pounds is a monster pick in of itself and if you are taking bigger than that where the hell are you going to be putting the pieces? any much bigger than that and you start talking about trees not being able to handle the weight of themselves at sling points and structurally failing!

besides that kinda pick'n would take you and your vermeer all day to process.

and in regards to proper shackle usage there is only one way. that **** you learn on your first pick with a shackle.

idiot.

No theres only one right way ....I told you already I am done with you enough said right , and 19K is not that big as a single pick whether its tree or steel .. Its all relative and honestly you know relatively nothing other than a tree and thats what funny too me , in my world your a ONE TRICK PONY and good for a little of something kinda LIKE TITS ON A BULL , enjoy your hay etas in November you deserve it someway I am sure You can come visit me since you wanted to call me out here I will gladly make time .. Now go #### ### somewhere please.

let's talk CUTS again....cause if there is ANYTHING redeeming in this thread it might just be this. Talking chokes are a valid topic but you can only choke what the tree and the situation will give and there are so many variables so.....

This cut you make we will call the "orange peel" cut requires cutting every last phloem cell prior to getting detachment and liftoff. One can see the disadvantages of this because of time spent and "incidents" such as your "wind gusts" and even mis choking whether by incompetency or by happenstance where the piece does not afford the appropriate hook up for the cut.

Ofcourse there are a myriad of cuts in a tree and we are talking predominantly upright cuts here. It (the upright piece) may have a slightly forward lean or sideways or backward (over you) lean (and that covers all the bases I think).

With that cut of yours you have to be perfect finding the last bit of pressure or constantly have the op adjust the boom for you.

Or what??....you get stuck...that's what.

These cuts (crane pick cuts) are not your typical upright removal piece cut (like a removal from ground or blowing out a leader) because besides side pull from the crane you have considerable up pull. Often times you are in a position where all you have is straight up pull.

The cut I and many use around here according to crane subs is the cut half way through on the boom side and then make the finishing cut perfectly matching into it (vaguely similar to the wind gust cut in your vid). Why did your wind gust cut work? Cause that cut works in just about any direction of pull.....forward and backward of the piece and sideways and EVEN STRAIGHT UPWARD there is so little wood holding. So it is fast and efficient. You may say it is dangerous to the climber but if

The climber is situated making the cut so the piece is at head height when cutting and ducks down a little it is IMPOSSIBLE for the piece to hit him even if it chooses to flip a little (it happens to all of .....don't lie.) The only direction the butt CANNOT go is downward cause it is hooked to the crane.

I think that the big crane that tipped over in SoCal last winter we ran a multi page thread on all forums about was the result of a "bypass" cut. While this works on a piece being pulled forward or backward.......it ain't gonna work if pulled straight upward with all that holding wood in the bypass area (without a fulcrom to snap it off).

The (we will call it) "pop top" cut will/woulda worked with so little holding wood even straight up. It will work in virtually any direction of pressure and is fast and efficient.....unlike the orange peel cut.

To keep from any pinching in my pop top cut I sometimes stick 2 or 3 hardwood twig pieces into the back of the cut and you would be amazed how they work just as good as a plastic wedge.

Last edited:
let's talk CUTS again....cause if there is ANYTHING redeeming in this thread it might just be this. Talking chokes are a valid topic but you can only choke what the tree and the situation will give and there are so many variables so.....

This cut you make we will call the "orange peel" cut requires cutting every last phloem cell prior to getting detachment and liftoff. One can see the disadvantages of this because of time spent and "incidents" such as your "wind gusts" and even mis choking whether by incompetency or by happenstance where the piece does not afford the appropriate hook up for the cut.

Ofcourse there are a myriad of cuts in a tree and we are talking predominantly upright cuts here. It (the upright piece) may have a slightly forward lean or sideways or backward (over you) lean (and that covers all the bases I think).

With that cut of yours you have to be perfect finding the last bit of pressure or constantly have the op adjust the boom for you.

Or what??....you get stuck...that's what.

These cuts (crane pick cuts) are not your typical upright removal piece cut (like a removal from ground or blowing out a leader) because besides side pull from the crane you have considerable up pull. Often times you are in a position where all you have is straight up pull.

The cut I and many use around here according to crane subs is the cut half way through on the boom side and then make the finishing cut perfectly matching into it (vaguely similar to the wind gust cut in your vid). Why did your wind gust cut work? Cause that cut works in just about any direction of pull.....forward and backward of the piece and sideways and EVEN STRAIGHT UPWARD there is so little wood holding. So it is fast and efficient. You may say it is dangerous to the climber but if

The climber is situated making the cut so the piece is at head height when cutting and ducks down a little it is IMPOSSIBLE for the piece to hit him even if it chooses to flip a little (it happens to all of .....don't lie.) The only direction the butt CANNOT go is downward cause it is hooked to the crane.

I think that the big crane that tipped over in SoCal last winter we ran a multi page thread on all forums about was the result of a "bypass" cut. While this works on a piece being pulled forward or backward.......it ain't gonna work if pulled straight upward with all that holding wood in the bypass area (without a fulcrom to snap it off).

The (we will call it) "pop top" cut will/woulda worked with so little holding wood even straight up. It will work in virtually any direction of pressure and is fast and efficient.....unlike the orange peel cut.

To keep from any pinching in my pop top cut I sometimes stick 2 or 3 hardwood twig pieces into the back of the cut and you would be amazed how they work just as good as a plastic wedge.

Dave, is there an actual question in there for me or are you just passing information? If its the latter then thanks for your much valued imput and adding another dimension to an ok thread.

FWIW I dont have a problem with cutting of any kind, up the tree - down the tree - in the kitchen or workshop. This thread was actually about a guys bad attitude the other day. Last thing I wanted was another off topic debate with Justin....We cool, he's my brother, but I'm gonna be "fkn divorced if I dont stop bull$hitting with my buddies on the net"....thats the word tonight in my home.

On the 21st, I think that might even be next week, we have quite a large chunky Oak, to crane out. We'll have an undersized crane again so we'll be on the limit throughout. But I'll get the camera out and we can all take a look thereafter. Gotta go my frieng I'm being yelled at as I type.

Dave, is there an actual question in there for me or are you just passing information? If its the latter then thanks for your much valued imput and adding another dimension to an ok thread.

FWIW I dont have a problem with cutting of any kind, up the tree - down the tree - in the kitchen or workshop. This thread was actually about a guys bad attitude the other day. Last thing I wanted was another off topic debate with Justin....We cool, he's my brother, but I'm gonna be "fkn divorced if I dont stop bull$hitting with my buddies on the net"....thats the word tonight in my home.

On the 21st, I think that might even be next week, we have quite a large chunky Oak, to crane out. We'll have an undersized crane again so we'll be on the limit throughout. But I'll get the camera out and we can all take a look thereafter. Gotta go my frieng I'm being yelled at as I type.

I am not sure I can tell you anything you don't allready know about cutting, well, maybe one thing; How to cut out that yelling you are hearing in the backround. ;)
I also feel OD is getting himself worked up over nothing, in fact, I am totally clueless as to any derogative remark from him which makes me think you said something to get him going cause he sure is going but I really doubt you would have said anything to that effect. Does he do this to you over on ********?
Well you know how everbody rants and raves but from me and others thanks is given for your time showing us your tricks. Me? I have get em down with a rope... it nuts man.

I guess there was no question Reg. Just lookin for a little crane **** chat and crane threads (or any thread for that matter) are usually open season for all kinds of going off on a tangent.

Thought others might want to flap a little bout it. Regards to Juliette (hope I remember her name, I have trouble remembering my own sometimes).:D

today was a series of monster oaks along the front of the yard and a bunch of one pickers for the rest. we did 115yd of chip and 2 log trucks of wood from 2 crane setups. finished blowing off the driveway in the dark with the strobe lights off the trucks being the only lights afforded to us. lol. i love the long days. separates the men from the boys.... nice getting them hours though seeing as tomorrow already been called.

anyway.

once again AS was a topic of discussion while we worked. we both agreed that 101 is a complete bonehead for sure. him saying a 19k wasn't a big pick brought laughter to our hearts. we were sending out 6-7k tops and 5k laterals and these picks were whales.... taking up the street type of pics. only being able to be taken that big because the grapple chipper can deal with them monsters by taking a log and putting them to the side while feeding the rest. i'd be standing there looking up at these tops and trying to imagine what they'd look like 3x's bigger. you'd need a parking lot to lay **** down.

i mean our biggest sling (the 24ftr) is only good for 20k and the thing is unruly in the tree. not only that but to make a pick like that , even with beowulf's mythical 75ton you'd have to 2part the line and even then you'd have about to be well inside like 50ft and have almost no boom out......wtf are you going to be able to do under that circumstance with the wood? nothing. 19k is a monster pick. not a big pick....what a jackass.

how many full time tree cranes go out with the line parted and using the biiiig slings working at the max on every pick? none, i'd say.

crane op says why you letting these mutts bother you? they don't know what they don't know. let them continue on thinking what they are doing is the right way and we will continue to do things our way and out produce them at every step. just because someone has been doing something for so long doesn't mean they been doing it right..... let them continue to be none the wiser.

he actually came up with a good one..... said we should hire reg (i've made him watch a bunch of the vids) but have him work for our competition. that way we can bang out work all around them by the time they off the first tree. lol.

alright. tv wants to talk cuts. today for the most part on most of the tops picked i used mostly your "pop" (cut away all the pinchy stuff first and then bring the saw around to the other side and finish from there.) and it worked beautifully, of course.

but for the laterals i usually prefer to just do a leave it cut that way i can get out the area and be away when the pick gets stood up in the cut.

you know the leave it? some might call it a shelf. under cut about a foot from the collar as deep as needed but not to pinch and then make the top cut about 3-6 inches behind the bottom cut. (closer to the collar than past the undercut obviously.) cutting this way allows for the piece to just sit there until the crane op does something with it. IE cable down some to break the wood and then cable up and boom up to stand her straight up while it stays in the shelf.

and on the butt cuts. heres the goal of a butt cut. you want to be able to cut it so that irregardless of how much tension is on the line you will never pinch your saw. even if the operator takes all the tension off you should still be able to make the cut. this is where putting your saw in to start a cut make all the difference. if it has a slight lean i cut all the lean side out first and then bring the saw around to finish the cut almost opposite of where i started and push to that spot. again allowing the piece to just ever so gently move on the stump meaning the cut is complete. if the piece is a straight stick then i start just off the side of the choke and remove as much as the bar will let me and then bring the saw around to the other side and end up finishing the cut with the powerhead almost under the choke. this allows the piece to close the hinge behind the bar but start to really open as you sever wood on the other side of the bar..... no over under cuts or other such nonsense on a butt cut.

not trying to be a jerk (again) tv but if you sticking twigs in a crane pick cut to me that means you not cutting it right. but your arguement will be i've been doing crane removals since you swam up your mothers uterus and all that blahblah so i guess it'll fall on deaf ears as well.

fear not though boys. i got the ok to start in the tree filming some of our work. i will feature sling points and cutting techniques along with weight guesses precut and then actual weights post cut. thats it. crane op has a helmet cam (but not the one i want) so we are going to give it a shot and see what comes out of it. if it looks like it has some potential we'll get the bigtime helmet cam and help some of you boys along with the crane work.

treemandan. i appreciate the pm's and the thinking of my wellbeing. while yes, i am almost a complete mess you know that i am passionate about certain ****.

and when i see injustice being done i will try to right the perceived wrong. in the right or wrong manner, which ever way i see fit.

reg knows i got love for him otherwise i'd talk to him like that mutt capetrees or the donkey 101. in fact i like watching reg's manual climbing work and give nothing but props to most of the stuff i see him do. he good for sure at that stuff (although i do get a chuckle out of the vid of him screwing eyelids into firewood chunks and sending them out the tree that way) and some of his handiwork is top notch gear. he gots my treespect and not many do. whatever thats worth, tman.

but its the crane work that i get worked up about. and then all the rest of you guys hopping in with the great jobs and back pattings leads me to knowing that none of you guys got a clue either! just work with me on that fact. vids'll be coming soon enough.

reg i started my climbing career at community tree then back to FTS and then onto popeye then over to some hack in gloucester then back to popeye and then i went off and did nothing but rope work for a buddie for a couple years and then back into a fully automated company that had preservation tendencies and then bang up to where i am now. with a couple stops here and there along the way. been a long strange trip for sure but i am not just a one trick pony as idiotboy (101) would say. somehow i've managed to not keep any bad tree habits while sponging good habits from each stop...... i am not just stuck in one spot now doing only what they do. i got my own way of doing things as well, man.

reg, stay safe and don't let me stop you from doing more vid work. i enjoy the stuff for sure.

No theres only one right way ....I told you already I am done with you enough said right , and 19K is not that big as a single pick whether its tree or steel .. Its all relative and honestly you know relatively nothing other than a tree and thats what funny too me , in my world your a ONE TRICK PONY and good for a little of something kinda LIKE TITS ON A BULL , enjoy your hay etas in November you deserve it someway I am sure You can come visit me since you wanted to call me out here I will gladly make time .. Now go #### ### somewhere please.

actually fatboy you should be the one to pipe down. you've made a series of posts in this thread proving you are an ignorant ass hole who knows **** about tree related crane work.

steel..... wtf do you keep bringing up steel on an arborist related website. you a joke.

he actually came up with a good one..... said we should hire reg (i've made him watch a bunch of the vids) but have him work for our competition. that way we can bang out work all around them by the time they off the first tree. lol.
Easy for him to say that when its not remotely possible

No, we not going to fall out again, but thats a bit lame and totally unfounded.

Tell your boy I've already forgotten more about tree work than he'll ever get to learn. 17k, what, I was picking over 20 at 20 years old, can find the photos with my meatball head on it if you want.

Lets just keep the egos in check and remember the crane does most of the work anyway...

I know of at least one crackhead run operation locally, that uses cranes quite a bit. They take massive picks too. I remember hearing the owner bragging about a 18k white pine top one of his crackheads took.. just sayin..

actually fatboy you should be the one to pipe down. you've made a series of posts in this thread proving you are an ignorant ass hole who knows **** about tree related crane work.

steel..... wtf do you keep bringing up steel on an arborist related website. you a joke.
Its a crane thread having little to do with whats hanging on it , about technique and proper rigging , of which I have to say from your posts and that alone I question what you know outside the realm of Marquis , so in a diplomatic way lets see who knows what ... I will not bash you anymore because your defense is solely you calling me fat and inexperienced with trees , and to be honest with you I have never truly shown where I have been and what I know so I am ready to shut your stupid snuff filled garbage hole with either my fist or my knowledege so now what . Because its obvious that when you said that you see me soon that was a crock or you lied ...I have tried to be done with you but I refuse to let some skinny crack head with a saw constantly beat his chest about swinging around on some limp #### of crane ...Fire away please with your best questions and I will respond as fast as I can

Last edited:
My words are in bold again Justin, they are written honestly and without malice

today was a series of monster oaks along the front of the yard and a bunch of one pickers for the rest. we did 115yd of chip and 2 log trucks of wood from 2 crane setups. finished blowing off the driveway in the dark with the strobe lights off the trucks being the only lights afforded to us. lol. i love the long days. separates the men from the boys.... nice getting them hours though seeing as tomorrow already been called.

Well I already referred to my oak next week as chunky, but yours were monsters right ? Can you define a monster? You mean like McMahon’s or Acemasters 200+ft Eucs, or the big conifers that your west coast fallers are topping out? Tell me you got at least one photo on your cell-phone?

anyway.

once again AS was a topic of discussion while we worked. I can’t believe you’d actually drag this stuff to work with you....that’s almost obsessive. All but a couple of the guys I work with don’t even know the forums exist even, and I sure wouldn’t bore them with a lot of trivial hearsay about people I’ve never even met. we both agreed that 101 is a complete bonehead for sure. him saying a 19k wasn't a big pick brought laughter to our hearts. we were sending out 6-7k tops and 5k laterals and these picks were whales.... taking up the street type of pics. only being able to be taken that big because the grapple chipper can deal with them monsters by taking a log and putting them to the side while feeding the rest. i'd be standing there looking up at these tops and trying to imagine what they'd look like 3x's bigger. you'd need a parking lot to lay **** down.

i mean our biggest sling (the 24ftr) is only good for 20k and the thing is unruly in the tree. I used to frequently drag chains around tree’s thicker than my wrist, with hooks almost as big as my thick head, cause we had nothing else at hand, I think the poplar photo at the start of the thread was one such occasion. So don’t tell me about your bad-ass nylon sling, ok not only that but to make a pick like that , even with beowulf's mythical 75ton you'd have to 2part the line and even then you'd have about to be well inside like 50ft and have almost no boom out......wtf are you going to be able to do under that circumstance with the wood? nothing. 19k is a monster pick. not a big pick....what a jackass.

how many full time tree cranes go out with the line parted and using the biiiig slings working at the max on every pick? none, i'd say.

crane op says why you letting these mutts bother you? they don't know what they don't know. let them continue on thinking what they are doing is the right way and we will continue to do things our way and out produce them at every step. just because someone has been doing something for so long doesn't mean they been doing it right..... let them continue to be none the wiser. Your crane op either lives in a bubble, or perhaps he really just wants you to change the dam record

he actually came up with a good one.....not that good actually said we should hire reg (i've made him watch a bunch of the vids) but have him work for our competition. that way we can bang out work all around them by the time they off the first tree. lol.

alright. tv wants to talk cuts. today for the most part on most of the tops picked i used mostly your "pop" (cut away all the pinchy stuff first and then bring the saw around to the other side and finish from there.) and it worked beautifully, of course.

but for the laterals i usually prefer to just do a leave it cut that way i can get out the area and be away when the pick gets stood up in the cut.

you know the leave it? A leave- it cut and get out of the area!....what happened to stuff gently floating away like in your earlier advice? some might call it a shelf. under cut about a foot from the collar as deep as needed but not to pinch and then make the top cut about 3-6 inches behind the bottom cut. (closer to the collar than past the undercut obviously.) cutting this way allows for the piece to just sit there until the crane op does something with it. IE cable down some to break the wood and then cable up and boom up to stand her straight up while it stays in the shelf.

and on the butt cuts. heres the goal of a butt cut. you want to be able to cut it so that irregardless of how much tension is on the line you will never pinch your saw. even if the operator takes all the tension off you should still be able to make the cut. this is where putting your saw in to start a cut make all the difference. if it has a slight lean i cut all the lean side out first and then bring the saw around to finish the cut almost opposite of where i started and push to that spot. again allowing the piece to just ever so gently move on the stump meaning the cut is complete. if the piece is a straight stick then i start just off the side of the choke and remove as much as the bar will let me and then bring the saw around to the other side and end up finishing the cut with the powerhead almost under the choke. this allows the piece to close the hinge behind the bar but start to really open as you sever wood on the other side of the bar..... no over under cuts or other such nonsense on a butt cut.

not trying to be a jerk (again) tv but if you sticking twigs in a crane pick cut to me that means you not cutting it right. but your arguement will be i've been doing crane removals since you swam up your mothers uterus and all that blahblah so i guess it'll fall on deaf ears as well.

fear not though boys. i got the ok to start in the tree filming some of our work. i will feature sling points and cutting techniques along with weight guesses precut and then actual weights post cut. thats it. crane op has a helmet cam (but not the one i want) so we are going to give it a shot and see what comes out of it. if it looks like it has some potential we'll get the bigtime helmet cam and help some of you boys along with the crane work.

treemandan. i appreciate the pm's and the thinking of my wellbeing. while yes, i am almost a complete mess you know that i am passionate about certain ****.

and when i see injustice being done i will try to right the perceived wrong. in the right or wrong manner, which ever way i see fit.

reg knows i got love for him otherwise i'd talk to him like that mutt capetrees or the donkey 101. in fact i like watching reg's manual climbing work and give nothing but props to most of the stuff i see him do. he good for sure at that stuff (although i do get a chuckle out of the vid of him screwing eyelids into firewood chunks and sending them out the tree that way) That’s exactly the point. How to rig 4-5ft rounds out of a tree? I have yet to see an alternative to the method I used. I’ll do whatever it takes when the situation is put upon me. and some of his handiwork is top notch gear. he gots my treespect and not many do. whatever thats worth, tman.

but its the crane work that i get worked up about. and then all the rest of you guys hopping in with the great jobs and back pattings leads me to knowing that none of you guys got a clue either! just work with me on that fact. vids'll be coming soon enough.
You’ve said all this before, you gonna come good this time?

Justin, getting worked up about a bunch of tree videos is fkn crazy....listen to me, its not healthy and it’s just not rational.

All I do is try to highlight the finer points of tree work in my particular vids, quality not quantity.
For whatever reason, lots of folks (some on AS) value much the same things as I do and say 'good job' or something along those lines. Others like Dave will say ‘Reg I like this and that but not the other’, and so we move on. But you, just assume and attack.....and when I politely take the time to explain the circumstances and incentives of what you have clearly overlooked etc, instead of acknowledging my answer’s you’ll just attack from a different angle. What a waste of effort!

I honestly think you should take a break from the forums cause you coming across as depressed or something. If not then at least go onto your User panel and put me on ‘Ignore’....that way you not going all angry every single time I put on a crane related video.
Speaking of which, here’s one from job earlier in the year folks, where I did a one-off crane-job for a company called Ecos, a bunch of Lombardy poplars, easy stuff really.

The company mainly do work in woodlands and remote areas, hence the little tracked chipper you’ll notice. Nice bunch of guys though, everyone cool and relaxed throughout. Unfortunately much of the footage and as it turned out, my camera got ruined due to the rain in the early part....but I still got enough to show some close-up cutting and lifting. Much the same stuff in other words.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9YwWjaaJ-8

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_1sUcyhVdY

reg, stay safe and don't let me stop you from doing more vid work. i enjoy the stuff for sure.

Thanks, I always do my best to focus and pay attention, especially on the easy stuff. Same to you

anyway.

once again AS was a topic of discussion while we worked. we both agreed that 101 is a complete bonehead for sure. him saying a 19k wasn't a big pick brought laughter to our hearts. we were sending out 6-7k tops and 5k laterals and these picks were whales.... taking up the street type of pics. only being able to be taken that big because the grapple chipper can deal with them monsters by taking a log and putting them to the side while feeding the rest. i'd be standing there looking up at these tops and trying to imagine what they'd look like 3x's bigger. you'd need a parking lot to lay **** down.

i mean our biggest sling (the 24ftr) is only good for 20k and the thing is unruly in the tree. not only that but to make a pick like that , even with beowulf's mythical 75ton you'd have to 2part the line and even then you'd have about to be well inside like 50ft and have almost no boom out......wtf are you going to be able to do under that circumstance with the wood? nothing. 19k is a monster pick. not a big pick....what a jackass.

crane op says why you letting these mutts bother you? they don't know what they don't know. let them continue on thinking what they are doing is the right way and we will continue to do things our way and out produce them at every step. just because someone has been doing something for so long doesn't mean they been doing it right..... let them continue to be none the wiser.

you know the leave it? some might call it a shelf. under cut about a foot from the collar as deep as needed but not to pinch and then make the top cut about 3-6 inches behind the bottom cut. (closer to the collar than past the undercut obviously.) cutting this way allows for the piece to just sit there until the crane op does something with it. IE cable down some to break the wood and then cable up and boom up to stand her straight up while it stays in the shelf.

reg knows i got love for him otherwise i'd talk to him like that mutt capetrees or the donkey 101. in fact i like watching reg's manual climbing work and give nothing but props to most of the stuff i see him do. he good for sure at that stuff (although i do get a chuckle out of the vid of him screwing eyelids into firewood chunks and sending them out the tree that way) and some of his handiwork is top notch gear. he gots my treespect and not many do. whatever thats worth, tman.

reg i started my climbing career at community tree then back to FTS and then onto popeye then over to some hack in gloucester then back to popeye and then i went off and did nothing but rope work for a buddie for a couple years and then back into a fully automated company that had preservation tendencies and then bang up to where i am now. with a couple stops here and there along the way. been a long strange trip for sure but i am not just a one trick pony as idiotboy (101) would say. somehow i've managed to not keep any bad tree habits while sponging good habits from each stop...... i am not just stuck in one spot now doing only what they do. i got my own way of doing things as well, man.

Listen dude you need to take a break , 19k is big but not huge , I have done single picks over 150 ton , you wouldn't even know how to reeve the block , with rigging so heavy that we needed a helper crane , and although I am working with tree weights now I have been there done all of that , You truly couldn't even hold my #### and I have the pictures to back that up ,but you won't validate that at all , the truth is your stubborn and ignorant I have tried to stroke your delicate ego cause you dig that kinda crap but that didn't work either so now were stuck here , I refuse to feed your childish ways with meaningless banter , you can tell that oompa loompa Operator that I said that too , Please be safe and take care ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back