Stump Grinding Chainsaw...ms461??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DST0922

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Once again looking for some advice... Learning the hard way that it is way easier to cut off even just 4-6" of stump than it is to grind through it. Problem is I only have a ms290 with 18" bar. Barely enough juice to cut through even a 30" soft Maple. Most trees around here are either Maple, oak, Ash, or Locust. I can get a good deal on a new MS461 with 25inch bar for $975. I hate to spend that much money, but the time I can save would be well worth it. Also, could that 461 pull a 32 or 36" bar in the rare occasions I would need that much? Opinions or other options?

Side note - I do take down a dozen or so small 15-30' trees a year so it wouldn't be just for stumps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have the 461 and would suggest a 661 for stumping larger stuff and definitely for pulling a 32-36” bar. The 461 will cross cut that size bar with a skip tooth chain but it’s worth the extra [emoji383]for the 661 for the oomph.

I guess what matters most... does anyone run a 32 inch bar on their stock 461? I could use a skip chain, and would only need it when I get a stump over 45+ inches. Probably 20 times a year... For everything else I can use the 25 inch bar, which should pull great.

Thank again for any input

I use an 038 with 32" bar just can't lean into it when its buried. Imagine a 441 or 461 would pull a little better. Never tried skip chain.

The 461 will pull a 36" bar just fine. Not as good as a 661 though. Only problem I've had is the crank bearings don't like it. It will shorten there life some. Run a 7 tooth sprocket on the clutch. That will gear it down a little.

I run a 36" bar on a 460, it pulls it fine, though the saw is not balanced well. My other 460 has a 24" bar which I use everyday. It's way better as far as balance and handling.

I guess what matters most... does anyone run a 32 inch bar on their stock 461? I could use a skip chain, and would only need it when I get a stump over 45+ inches. Probably 20 times a year... For everything else I can use the 25 inch bar, which should pull great.

Thank again for any input

My avatar shows a sixty inch bar on my 460 . The muf_mod and air filter are the only change. It pulls a square chisel skip chain fine cross cut or milling very well. I have gotten a 661 ported cylinder, hollow muffler w/opened port for better speed in the larger cuts. I have a seventy two inch bar, just in case another opportunity appears that needs more than five feet of bar.
My opinion is that on a thirty two inch bar semi skip chain wood prolly work for you. I'm not sure that you have enough need for a 661, from what I read. A few pounds more with a bit more fuel use and the higher cost all play in. Your milage may vary, as the saying goes.
Stay safe y'all

I'm going to be the contrarian here. It seems every time I try and take some off a stump, I hit a rock and then have to file the saw. I can easily grind that 6 inches faster than filing the chain.

On that same vane, I never had problems with a 290 pulling it through the wood. Always kept the tip buried in the stump and less likely to get a rock.

I agree that may be true if your talking about 6" of a 12" diameter stump. Around here is mostly oak, Maple, and Ash, all of which can easily get a 60"+ diameter trunk.
Although Omaha doesn't have the rock in the soil like Vancouver either.

I did get the 461 with the 25" bar today. Was able to use it twice on stumps about 36" in diameter. With the help of a few wedges I was able to cut about 4" of stump height off of one and 8" off the other. The saw worked beautifully, this will save me not only the time in grinding that additional stump off, but also not cleaning up the grindings.

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm going to be the contrarian here. It seems every time I try and take some off a stump, I hit a rock and then have to file the saw. I can easily grind that 6 inches faster than filing the chain.

On that same vane, I never had problems with a 290 pulling it through the wood. Always kept the tip buried in the stump and less likely to get a rock.
Your grinder is probably much faster than my little 38hp bandit!

Back