Stump Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, c'mon addict.  You really need to take a break from regurgitating stuff, especially in a haphazard manner.  I've tried being nice, but I'm reaching my limit.  I highly suspect I'm not alone.

When you think you've got a post right, preview it and look at it for a while.  Think really hard about it before submitting it.  Does it impart any information that's accurate and first-hand?  Any at all?  Does it actually add anything to the discussion in terms of information or humor?  Even close?  If not, maybe it's best to close the window and not submit it.

Glen

Definitely go with the 044/046 class saw or similiar cc for pro use. I only run stihl now and can't speak of the other brands but the 039 is a homeowner special my opinion. Long term use go bigger. If you are limited by the saws you can own buy some different size bars and chains and keep them in the truck. 044 runs great with a 20" bar and can run 25" - 28" bar just keep an oil can nearby especially when flushing stumps. 046 a little more hp but more $$$

These kind of threads are rather funny, some days all the Husky fans are around and some days all the Stihl fans are around... looks like it's a Stihl day. :laugh: They are both great saws pick your poison.

*edit - Didn't mean to leave all the Dolmar reps and retailers out. :D

Use any decent pro saw that you like to run with at least 70cc's. If your back is strong and the stumps are on the bigger size, go with 80-90cc's. (For me, the most weight I want to carry around for hours is a +- 14 lb powerhead, which is basically the 372 or 044. But 20 years ago, a 17 lb saw would have been no problem.)

And clean the air filter constantly.

Scott, will try a 385,372 044 and a 066 if he calls me to set up a test ride of all those clubs.

Husky, Stihl, Dolmar they all do a good job today, of course I cut about 20 cords a year. So I have 1 saw per cord I cut. Works for me.

Originally posted by oldsaw-addict
I've been told that a PP7900 will cut with an 088 in stock form, or will the PP7900 outcut the 088? I cant recall that particular detail very well.

Who told you that???

Now the tooth fairy knows chainsaws......go figure.:D

This isn't even comprehendable. Maybe if you are cutting broom handles! I have a Dan Henry PP7900 and another one being done as we speak. The PP7900 is a real runner but is no match for an 088 in big wood!

No Rich don't ignore him I feel this should be addressed, why arent large falling saws compared to oneanother in their proper environment. I dicovered that my PP346 beats the hell out of my dual port 440 until the wood is 044 wood then see ya later little guy. Dog both saws into 3+ wood and the 7900 will be behind the game very quickly.

Originally posted by wiley_p
No Rich don't ignore him I feel this should be addressed, why arent large falling saws compared to oneanother in their proper environment. I dicovered that my PP346 beats the hell out of my dual port 440 until the wood is 044 wood then see ya later little guy. Dog both saws into 3+ wood and the 7900 will be behind the game very quickly.

My point exactly. First it was the 7900 beating an 066, now an 088. You must compare apples to apples & oranges to oranges. A 78cc saw ( even modded ) beating a saw with 122cc......not!!!

Just pick up a used Sachs-Dolmar 120 si and be done with it. And ditto what glens said!

1st thing
Glen hit the nail on the head. I cannot tell you how I really feel.

2nd thing
Lambert's eyes got real big when he noticed Old saw say 088's are $1200-$1800.

Bill

thanks

Thanks gang. This will help.

Mark, I'll take you up on the demo, e-mail me your phone # again.

PS: Mayberry's is taking forever.

Scott OUT!!!:D

Sorry about that, Scott.&nbsp; It's been steeping for a while now.&nbsp; I'd tried to address it at another chainsaw-forum site, so as to not make a mess on <i>our</i> playground, but got booted twice from the feel-good place before I could get around to it.

Thanks for being so understanding.

Regarding your original topic, you need two new saws, so plan for it.&nbsp; A good 50cc and a good 80cc would make a superb combination in my book.&nbsp; I've got a 60cc and 90cc pair, but find it a little (top-)heavy at times.&nbsp; I'd tried to get by with just the 60cc (Stihl 036 -- great saw) but it just doesn't have the sack for a 24" bar around these parts.&nbsp; If I had to do it over again, it would be the 50/80 split.

Glen

I just cut down a few maple stumps from trees cut last year in my backyard. Thirty inches in diameter tapering to almost four feet at the roots (I didn't buttress them first. Buttress - sounds like a dirty word. Perhaps it is in some vicinities).

I hate cutting stumps because A) You're lying almost prone and B) since you're cutting horizontally it takes ten times the energy, since you can't use your body weight as leverage very well.

Anyhows....I rip 3/4's of the way around with my (stihl stock 660, 24 inch bar) in about 60 seconds, drive in a few plastic wedges to hold it up (to prevent binding) and horse it on through. No sweat.

If I had to do this for a living I would go 088/36 inch bar (or Husky/Dolmar equilalent) NO DOUBT. Or at least get my 660 modded pronto. Weight doesn't matter much in this application since you're not fighting gravity as much. Time is money. Sanity has to count for something too.

With my old tired saws, I would probably still be out there. My two bits

Hey Hack,

Where have you been ? It has been awhile since I have seen you post. Were you the one that had your son give you a new 066 or do i have you confused with someone else. I do know you posted a "Jason" picture.

Bill

Hey Bill....

I've been lying in a ditch at the edge of town for some time now.

Actually I've been working up the nerve to mod my 660. I took some digital pics of the internal muffler "works." Will forward them to da forum soon to see how I can put my drill or dremel to work.

Thanks for asking about where I've been. I need to cut some firewood soon for next year. I'm tempted to rent a semi and drive to Canada for a big score (although I hear the ash trees are threatened big time by some Asian beetle). Anyone hear about this?

Regards,

Hack

you will need no more than a 44 or 46 or372 dont buy a homeowner type it will wear to much doing stumps

No kidding

I was out this week and now I need this saw more than ever. I got so frustrated with the saws I have now that I grinded a big boy about 20" above to 8" below.

Looked at the 044, local guy gets 670.00 for it!

Boy , what a mess of chips I had. Anyway I posted a pick from this week's chip buffet.

Back