stupid ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ops

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I know the manual says to drain out the gas if your not going to use it for a while. i was wondering do you put it back in the gas can or dispose of it.

never had a gas tool and want it to stay tip top shape

and do you remove the chain oil also?

Nothing wrong with collecting the gas back into the mix container and later using it. If for some reason you don't want to put it back in the saw, dump it into your automobile gas tank. No problem. [The tiny bit of 2 cycle oil mixed in is a non issue in the car.] Same deal if you reach the end of your cutting [saw-using] season and have some mix left you don't want to have sit there a long time. Put it in the car.

I leave bar oil in the saw. But it does not matter if you want to remove it. If you do remove the bar oil, be sure you do not get wood chips, etc., contaminating it. But I just leave it in the saw, regardless how long I'll not be using it.

Last edited:
my fuel stays in during firewood season usually late Oct. thru March or so. I pour whats left over back in the can then use it in the weedeaters or the mantis tiller. Bar oil stays in my saws, no problems yet. Obviously clean saw before pouring fuel back and use clean funnel.

I drain saws that are to sit for a month or more. To dispose of 2 stroke mix, more than a month old, I poor it in my plow truck. Disposing of large amounts of 2 stoke mix in any catalytic converter vehicle can tax the catalytic. Lawn mowers, snow blowers or gasoline powered tractors are a good place to dump the stuff.

I do not drain chain oil.

I only make-up enough 'mix' to last a week or so...and I store it in glass bottles.

After that..I just pour it into the truck tank. I get 'fresh' hi-octane every couple weeks.

Never a problem..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Latest posts

Back