Stupidest Repairs Ever Witnessed!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
best one i ever seen was a starter tie wired on. No bolts just tie wire.

Saw a guy on time had his motor ratchet strapped into his truck and transmission chained in. And tried to say it was factory. I looked at him and said "it might be more believable if the straps did not say task force on em but rather GM".

That is what a reneck calls quick disconnect mounts, just like them there Nascar people use.......

That is what a reneck calls quick disconnect mounts, just like them there Nascar people use.......

It is funny you say that because it was a bigger engine than the truck had in it so the motor or trans mounts did not line up. Should have seen the drive shaft. Would have only taken a little thought and imagination and she would have slip yoked rite out.

I have one for the "Redneck" category, although I don't consider it "stupid".

I had a 95 Caravan, and I broke the plastic hood latch release lever that is located inside the van. I couldn't open the hood, so I clamped a small pair of vise grips on the cable and just pulled on them to open the hood. I used it like that for about ten years. Didn't cost a thing as when i scrapped the auto, I retrieved the vise grips. Haha!

Bob

I have one for the "Redneck" category, although I don't consider it "stupid".

I had a 95 Caravan, and I broke the plastic hood latch release lever that is located inside the van. I couldn't open the hood, so I clamped a small pair of vise grips on the cable and just pulled on them to open the hood. I used it like that for about ten years. Didn't cost a thing as when i scrapped the auto, I retrieved the vise grips. Haha!

Bob

Vice grips.... Ain't they the greatest invention ever? I have seen them used for about everything, I used a small pair to hold one side of the exhaust flange on a Jeep.

the that pops out in my mind is a winco genset with a 18hp briggs on it, that only holds 2 qts of oil. the guy pops the cap to check the oil you know the one cap thats on the valve cover...
dose't see any oil panics and dumps two and a half qts in it..
then calls us out on an e-call saying we messed up his genset and wee need to fix it well after a new air filter and a little less oil it cost him $1000!

another customer i love is the ones that say "my generator is almost brand new i hardily use it i bought it new in 73 and i don't understand why it's not working.." well....

but i hate the hovering customer that second guess you the hole time.. a coworker of mine got so fedup with a customer like this looked at them and said sense you more then i do you fix it.. packed up his tools and left..

ether in a diesel with glow plugs will do a heck of a good head job.

Used to get about one car a week in with diesel fuel from a local station which had all green nozzles on all of the pumps.

An exhaust doughnut leak caused on purpose will cancel the sound of a rod knocking.

Chains bolted to the engine block and welded to the frame.

Hose clamps used to balance a drive shaft vibration.

4 years working at a farm implement proved bailing wire can fix anything.

ether in a diesel with glow plugs will do a heck of a good head job.

Used to get about one car a week in with diesel fuel from a local station which had all green nozzles on all of the pumps.

An exhaust doughnut leak caused on purpose will cancel the sound of a rod knocking.

Hose clamps used to balance a drive shaft vibration.

4 years working at a farm implement proved bailing wire can fix anything.

don't forget a good supplely of 6013 welding rod

I seen a 61 Impala that had the engine chained because it had so much torque it would bust the engine mounts, which would let the engine raise and ground out the alternator. I have also since newer cars with factory installed straps as a backup in case a mount was to bust.

Fish, you should have started this thread in the winter when I had the time to mess with it all day. :)

I could go on forever here.......got one in right now, that I'll call: David and the Rancher. Guy that really can't get the hang of saw ownership. Probably dangerous that he owns a saw. (And he's an electrician too. I wouldn't let this guy plug in my Christmas tree.)

Saw has just been through hell so many times. It's been rebuilt. Comes in with water in the gas, bad gas, no gas, straight gas, chain on backwards, Clogged air filter, missing air filter. I guess it's a testimony to the durability of the 55 Rancher.

Most recent bad fortune is that the saw spent an uncomfortably long time in a flooded basement. Amazingly, I got the thing running. But guys, I've never heard bearings make this much noise on a saw that runs. It sounds like dragging a cinder block across a tile floor. Used it to cut up some pallets, but I fear it's not long for this world. :msp_biggrin:

I'll think of some more.............

I had a buddy that owned a 1985 ford f 250 4x4 deisel with a five speed the shifters are two piece in those trucks the upper shifter is bolted with a couple grade 8's to a short piece coming directly out he top of the tranmission. It broke there he clamped on a large set of vice grips and drove it that way until he finally retired the truck, that was at least 5 years I know of. I kept teasing him about it until one day he told me just you wait that is gonna be OEM on next years models, he never missed a shift, but he had a couple close calls when the vice grips came loose on him while he was headed down the highway!:msp_scared:

We had a 71 Chevelle we were drag racing years back It had a screaming Small block in it. It kept snapping motor mounts on launch, to the point it wrecked hoods, and radiators, we almost went with solid mounts, but it was a street ride too so the fix was a piece of grade 8 3/8" chain bolted to the block and weilded to the frame, with about a 1/2" to 3/4" slack in it, motor mounts stopped breaking on launch. And since it was bolted to the block we could still swap motors if needed, and in those days it was needed I think we put almost five motors in that thing, the last was a radical stroker, that put the car in the mid 9's at between 140mph and 145mph. By that time it wasn't a street car so much anymore!

We had a 71 Chevelle we were drag racing years back It had a screaming Small block in it. It kept snapping motor mounts on launch, to the point it wrecked hoods, and radiators, we almost went with solid mounts, but it was a street ride too so the fix was a piece of grade 8 3/8" chain bolted to the block and weilded to the frame, with about a 1/2" to 3/4" slack in it, motor mounts stopped breaking on launch. And since it was bolted to the block we could still swap motors if needed, and in those days it was needed I think we put almost five motors in that thing, the last was a radical stroker, that put the car in the mid 9's at between 140mph and 145mph. By that time it wasn't a street car so much anymore!

I had solid mounts on my small block 67 Chevelle and it didn't seem to be that different. Street driven only, I just got tired of changing motor mounts.

mower mulching conversion

Not sure I'd call it the stupidest ever, but here's a mower with no option for a bag. The side discharge port is plugged to turn it into a mulcher. Yes, that's a piece of motorcycle tire.

attachment.php

Not sure I'd call it the stupidest ever, but here's a mower with no option for a bag. The side discharge port is plugged to turn it into a mulcher. Yes, that's a piece of motorcycle tire.

attachment.php

Those are great in the Fall to mulch up leaves rather than raking them. I have a Lawn Boy equipped like that just for leaf mulching.

Latest posts

Back