Subcontracting for the army corps of engineers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_bird

Reaction score
Hey guys the title says it all has anybody done this. I was asked about being a sub for the sandy storm clean up and I dont want to get scammed these storms seem to bring out the best in people!!
Matt

I have never worked for the COE, but have bid on their projects. Did work for our state DNR as well as a HUD managed housing complex. Both cases required HUGE amounts of paperwork, proof of all insurance sent certified from my underwriter (no standard ins. certs accepted) and they MIGHT cut you a check some time during the next fiscal year. Unless you're set up to provide paperwork, performance bonds, etc. it is more of a hassle than it's worth.

And, unless you are the well capitalized folks like Davey or Azzplunge you're going to have to borrow operating capital if it is a project of any size. You make the call......

When you say "subcontracting" does that mean somebody else has the contract and they need help from a subcontractor? Or would your contract be directly with the Corps?

If it is directly with the Corps, unless you have and extra somebody to do nothing but push papers and keep up with govco, I'd run away. If you do bid it, make sure you bid that cost (I'd plan on a full time support staff person for the length of the contract).

If you are looking to help another contractor who has the main contract, then make sure your roles and compensation schedules are well defined and you should be good to go. I'd insisit on intermediate payments, not wait until the whole project is completed just to make sure you don't walk away empty handed if things go south.

If someone asked you to sub for the USACE in a disaster response...they are not being entirely truth full. Those "prime" contracts are highly fought over. They don't have to seek out people.

I would guess in this case you are being asked to sub under someone who is subing under a company like Ashbrit, crowder gulf, Ceres....(hopefully you are only one tier away from the prime contractor). You can make some money working this way but the killer is the details. The USACE can be very strict. I has the displeasure of working in MS as a sub under Ashbrit and in LA as a sub under Ceres for them. They were brutal with the safety stuff. For example you were not allowed to climb out of the bucket truck. If you were chasing hangers in a 100' tree you would get everything u could reach from the bucket then have to start from the ground and climb all the way up to get the rest. This was because they had two people fall out of trees because they didn't know how to tie into a tree... I had one monitor make us wear our chaps while we were in the bucket...

Find out who is the prime contractor. Who you will be working for. Are they under anyone ? When will you be paid? It to me over a year to get paid everything from those contracts and almost 2 years before all my retainage was released....
Is there a prevailing wage rate sheet for the contract?
Too many things to type up right now. If you are thinking about trying this pm me you number be a lot easier over the phone .

+1 on the ridiculous safety precautions.

I did some subbing for a larger outfit for the Corps of Engineers once. Same thing with the chaps. I usually climb with chaps on so it didn't bother me much, but dang it was the height of summer and it was hot. The real kicker was that if you were on the ground you had to start your saw with it resting on the ground with your foot bracing the handle. I felt like a homeowner trying to start his saw for the first time. Pay was crappy too. The largest government organization I'll work for now is the county and even that's a pain in the butt.

Back