Sugar Maple Transplant photo story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found this link over on Wulkowicz' board:

There are four pages, each with about 10 good sized photos, so, if you have a slow connection, be forewarned....

The rootball only weighed 19 tons max, so that is 1/4 of the heaviest tree moving projects I've read about, but still... The tree is smaller than the one that Tom posted the link to last summer.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/treenet/move/default.htm

Roger

Last edited:
That is why I am a cable modem addict!. BAM the whole page is loaded:D.

WOW, that is a small rootball! (Relative to trunk) I hope they have pictoral followup on that so we can see how it takes.

Sugar Maple

Hi everybody,I didn't know a tree that size could be moved.How could you transport it without major trimming(you're not going to bundle those limbs with netting) and will it survive with such a small rootball?I hope it does.I am suprised that anybody would spend the bucks to move it,that sure looks expensive to me.I would guess most people would just cut it down,all in the name of progress.Mikey

Usualy thses types of transplantings are same site moves. Construction puts the plant in the way and it has some historic significance to the sirte so they move it out of the construction area.

Sometimes they are put on big heavy haul trailers and moved on weekend nights. Very pricey.

The size makes the follow up care more intensive, failure rates are higher too.

John Paul Sanborn - being connected w/ cable modem......I have to strongly suggest a firewall with active intrusion log. Most of the time they just "borrow" your capacity, but.....

I was in a federal project for a couple years - one operator was a full-time intruder, that was his job and last info I had they created an entire division under him. I doesn't matter if you're clean and green, they DO enter and now it's automated.

Don't trust anyone over G.S. 7, ever.

mikey,

The largest tree ever moved, well, that I know of anyhow, was a 160 foot wide crownspread live oak. The total weight was some 80 tons, or 160,000 lb!!! It took too flatbed semi trailers, and a few cranes to pick it up.

Story was in an arbo mag a few years ago, I may have the details off.

Yep, I thought the same thing about the rootball, but mention was made of the roots having been disturbed for a coupla building projects, so maybe a lot of new ones had formed in closer than normal.

A few years ago, an appx 18" dbh, 60-70 foot tall pine was moved at the University of Washington.

Also, an awesome laceleaf japanese maple was on display, inside, at the 2001 Seattle Garden Show. It was appx 16x16 feet. The total weight of that one was either 18000 lb or 18 tons, I forgot which. The then mayor Paul Schell bought it for $35,000 before he asked the city if it was OK to spend their money. Then he had to buy it out of his pocket, whereapon he donated it to the city as art for a park. I never heard if the city reimbursed him eventually, I would hope so, I guess.

Sugar Maple

Hi RBTREE,Thanks for info.,that is fascinating to me.I would like to watch the lifting of one of those big trees.Do they teach such tasks at the local college?As for your mayor,that too is fascinating,our mayor spends millions instead of thousands.But no matter where you go,there you are.Mikey

The crane stuff is rather specialized, for the big trees therer are only a few companies that do it. Same pricniple as smaller crane instalations with the 8-10 inch trees big landscape companies do. Callaround, you mayu be able to find one that will allow you to watch.

Originally posted by oakwilt
John Paul Sanborn - being connected w/ cable modem......I have to strongly suggest a firewall with active intrusion log. Most of the time they just "borrow" your capacity, but.....

I don't know why anyone wouldn't. In a couple of weeks, I had about 5 viruses when I didn't have a firewall. I just got a virus tonight...something my brother picked up, I guess. I also wouldn't even think of turning on a computer that didn't have virus protection.

Nickrosis

Back