Super Split discussion anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats funny right there :laugh: I just don't think it would live long here with what i split. the stuff i split are big, like 150-200 lb. need to see the log lift for that. I cut my wood 28", don't know if it will even fit on there. i don't even split the small stuff like in the video ! ::thumbsup::

I believe you're right, the SS is not the splitter for you. It'll only take up to 25" and it's tough liftin those 150-200 chunks up there. :D

thats funny right there :laugh: I just don't think it would live long here with what i split. the stuff i split are big, like 150-200 lb. need to see the log lift for that. I cut my wood 28", don't know if it will even fit on there. i don't even split the small stuff like in the video ! ::thumbsup::

You would be the exception then, not the rule... I take it you're burning in an OWB??? I cut a ton of hedge, but 16" lengths... I would not hesitate to use a SS on it... They're designed for production, and that, they deliver... I don't think they had 28" 200 lb blocks of Hedge in mind when they designed it. :msp_confused:

Now that is funny....Everybody knows the SS is just for making kindling.! I saw all my real firewood with the MS880. Anything under 36" goes to the slash pile. The D11 makes quick work of skidding it out of the woods, and then I load it on the old WesternStar and haul it home. I haven't filled my stove since Christmas..!

:yoyo:
:msp_thumbup:

I sharpened the wedge on mine, will slice through most knots, instead of trying to split through.

No grease on the roller bearings, just the rack and main bearings at the grease fittings.

I run mine at 1/2-2/3 throttle, but wind it up for nasty/gnarly wood.

If crap gets stuck under the ram head, it will sometime not retract. Mine rarely does this now, but did some when new. Keep the I beam clean.

Yes, best splitter ever made and Paul is a very good guy to deal with.

The table is worth every penny and is not a "shakey jake" . Very stout and well made!

I bought the J model, the heavy duty has an extra bearing on either side of the ram and more HP. The bearings can easily be add if needed. I haven't needed the extra bearings or extra HP. I just split a bunch of elm the other day, easy work for the SS.

I also wanted electric, but Paul talked me into going with gas. No regrets, but I'll put an electric motor on mine one day. Easy change/add on.

what are the extra bearings for on either side of the ram? do you know what the cost is to put these bearing on a j model?

what are the extra bearings for on either side of the ram? do you know what the cost is to put these bearing on a j model?

You need to call Paul at SS and ask him. I don't see any reason to have 4 bearings on the ram. Two work just fine.

Now the HD model has three bearings on the cam that pushes the rack down and they do make a difference over the single bearing the J model has. I've already upgraded mine.

Now that is funny....Everybody knows the SS is just for making kindling.! I saw all my real firewood with the MS880. Anything under 36" goes to the slash pile. The D11 makes quick work of skidding it out of the woods, and then I load it on the old WesternStar and haul it home. I haven't filled my stove since Christmas..!

:yoyo:
:msp_thumbup:

I guess I am with the other side of this discussion. The SS are fast, long lasting, and great for some people. However, it is lacking many of the options that it would need to be an effective splitter for me. Most of my wood is 25-30 inch diameter, and I cut some at 24 inch, 18, and 16. That means it is not unheard of to have a 200 plus pound round needing to get split. I also do not split anything under 10 inch diameter, unless I am selling that batch of wood to the stove place in town. I understand that on the eastern side of the US that many of you split your wood very small, and so the SS is the way to go. For me I am not going to lift every round up to the splitter to be split, they were heavy enough to load the first time. Now the logrite SS trailer would be a good option, with many great features, but at 10K its way out of the price range I would be willing to consider. Just saying, yes they work but not for everyone.

Oh and you must have huge arms lugging that lead suitcase of the wrong color around all day!! LOL

I guess I am with the other side of this discussion. The SS are fast, long lasting, and great for some people. However, it is lacking many of the options that it would need to be an effective splitter for me. Most of my wood is 25-30 inch diameter, and I cut some at 24 inch, 18, and 16. That means it is not unheard of to have a 200 plus pound round needing to get split. I also do not split anything under 10 inch diameter, unless I am selling that batch of wood to the stove place in town. I understand that on the eastern side of the US that many of you split your wood very small, and so the SS is the way to go. For me I am not going to lift every round up to the splitter to be split, they were heavy enough to load the first time. Now the logrite SS trailer would be a good option, with many great features, but at 10K its way out of the price range I would be willing to consider. Just saying, yes they work but not for everyone.

Oh and you must have huge arms lugging that lead suitcase of the wrong color around all day!! LOL

I was really torn on this subject, but decided to go with a fast hydro unit and multiple wedges... "though they pose problems of their own... The SS is still more productive for what I need and I'll get one in a year or 2 just to keep and use around the pad. The big hydro is mobile and has a lift, but honestly, I rarely use it right now.

The Super Split has it place, as does a hydro.

I feed 4 wood stoves with stove wood size splits. No OWB here! Ya couldn't run fast enough to give me a OWB, I like my stoves! :msp_smile:

No 4 foot dia wood either. Mostly oak up to about 24", some to 30" dia, cut 15" for two stoves and 20-24" for the other two... The big stuff gets halved or quarted in the woods so I can load it in the truck, so no log lift or vertical splitter needed here.

After 2.5 years with the SS, I'd buy another today if needed...

The Super Split has it place, as does a hydro.

I feed 4 wood stoves with stove wood size splits. No OWB here! Ya couldn't run fast enough to give me a OWB, I like my stoves! :msp_smile:

No 4 foot dia wood either. Mostly oak up to about 24", some to 30" dia, cut 15" for two stoves and 20-24" for the other two... The big stuff gets halved or quarted in the woods so I can load it in the truck, so no log lift or vertical splitter needed here.

After 2.5 years with the SS, I'd buy another today if needed...

That's why I will have both...
Pssshhhh....
What's another couple grand anyway... I got more than that just hangin' in the saw tree in the shop...:msp_sneaky:

I have an electric SS and a typical vertical/horizontal hydraulic. The SS gets 95% of the splitting done. After a couple months of non-use I did just break out the hydraulic in the vertical mode to quarter about 10 ~24" heavy wet elm rounds and finished them on the SS.
Need them both but the hydraulic gets used less and less. I did have one funky elm round the other week that I thought the SS could not handle... didn't try and went to the hydraulic, it turned it into a unusable mess that I threw back on the brush pile...

I have an electric SS and a typical vertical/horizontal hydraulic. The SS gets 95% of the splitting done. After a couple months of non-use I did just break out the hydraulic in the vertical mode to quarter about 10 ~24" heavy wet elm rounds and finished them on the SS.
Need them both but the hydraulic gets used less and less. I did have one funky elm round the other week that I thought the SS could not handle... didn't try and went to the hydraulic, it turned it into a unusable mess that I threw back on the brush pile...

I know those pieces...
Usually the saw is the only tool that renders em' useful... But most people won't bother noodling up a mess like that.
But I do...

Not yet, but you'll be the first to know.

I'm about ready to sell the 75cc 365. Beast of a saw, but just don't use it much...

Can I borrow it in Feb. for the races in Grantsburg WI???
I want to run it in the 4 cube class and see how long it takes Treemonkey to catch on that it ain't a 365...
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You need to call Paul at SS and ask him. I don't see any reason to have 4 bearings on the ram. Two work just fine.

Now the HD model has three bearings on the cam that pushes the rack down and they do make a difference over the single bearing the J model has. I've already upgraded mine.

did you notice a difference once you upgraded yours? is it a difficult task to perform? and approximate costs to do so? Thanks for the information. Talked with Paul, nice guy..lots of info. Just deciding it its worth the extra $430 to go with the hd vs j...

I sent Paul a check two days ago and am anxiously awaiting the "it's ready" phone call, hopefully next week. I went with the J model for my needs, have a hydro unit as back up for the nasty stuff. I thought about the HD model as well and Paul said the J will do everything I need it to and then some. I will inquire about the bearings when I go down there.

did you notice a difference once you upgraded yours? is it a difficult task to perform? and approximate costs to do so? Thanks for the information. Talked with Paul, nice guy..lots of info. Just deciding it its worth the extra $430 to go with the hd vs j...

There is no difference in how the machine works. I broke the single bearing on the cam engagement while splitting several cords of large nasty Elm. I was actually trying to find the limit of the splitter, splitting Elm crotches and the nastiest, stuff I had. The three bearings (US made) and machined shaft/bolt cost was around $100 for the up grade and 30 minutes to install.

Now that I'm doin around 20 cords a year, I feel the HD would have been justified. But I am 100% happy with the J model.

There is no difference in how the machine works. I broke the single bearing on the cam engagement while splitting several cords of large nasty Elm. I was actually trying to find the limit of the splitter, splitting Elm crotches and the nastiest, stuff I had. The three bearings (US made) and machined shaft/bolt cost was around $100 for the up grade and 30 minutes to install.

Now that I'm doin around 20 cords a year, I feel the HD would have been justified. But I am 100% happy with the J model.

Interesting. yeah i get a lot of nasty wood out here, madrone knots and stuff like that SUCK and are hard to split, sometimes even when it is green. cracked the ram on a 24ton hydro and had to re-weld it twice. i think the hd is what i'm going to have to go with. i'll end up going through quite a few cord this year. the extra $430 is only about 3 cord of wood which i figure the super split could knock out in about 2-3 hours :)...maybe sooner if i have a redbull and 5 hour energy but that might not be a safe combination haha
thanks for the info sunfish!

Latest posts

Back