Super Split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these splitters? I got an insert from them and it looks like a neat unit. The superSplit is a non hydraulic splitter. I would love to hear from someone who has/used one. I'm researching now and plan to buy a splitter of some sort in the spring. Thanks!:cheers:

Go on YouTube and there are a few videos showing the super split in action. Put log splitter in the search window and a number of log splitting videos will come up. I don't have a super split but it sure looks like a nice machine. Very fast recycle time!

Thanks for the info on the videos. Looks like it's real smooth & quick. I would like to hear someones opinion who runs one of these, to see how they hold up. It mentions in the video about easy replaceable parts? :givebeer:

Last edited:
I have one. I also have a hydraulic splitter. The super split in my mind is hands down the bet splitter on the market. I still don't understand why some people are spending 3-5k on timberwolf splitter when the can get a super splitter for around 3k. I have had mine for 4 years. It splits around 200 ranks (65 cords) a year. I have had no problems with it. The amount I split s considered light for a year. There is a person by me that runs 250-300 cords through his a year. He had it for 15 plus years and never wore it out. Just had o change the engine a couple times. The only thing I have had to replace is the little bearing that rides on the I-beam. It's a 5 minute change and costs about $5. The engine is very easy on fuel. It will split between over 2 cords on a tank of gas and i split the wood very small. The splitter will have a learning curve with it. I will say you have to read the wood a little more then you do with a hydraulic unit. But it's easy to get the hang of. I have split 30 inch elm with it so it will do the tough stuff also. I have a hydraulic unit to break the big chunks in 1/4s because you can only use the super splitter in the horizontal mode. I have the mid size model. If you need any more info let me know I will be happy to help.

Scott

Scott, Thanks for the info. You said you have the mid size one, is that the SSHD with the 5.5 Honda ? How does it work on the ugly twisted stuff? Did you buy it direct from the manufacture? Thanks again !

I actually have a robin engine on mine. It's a 6 or a 6.5hp. I bought it from a dealer about 40 miles away. It splits tought wood pretty good. You have to learn how to work with the splitter. After that it's fine. I have found very few pieces that I can't split. I have a hydraulic splitter also and I haven;t ever run a tank of gas hrough it this year. The super splitter has done everything I have expected and more. I cut mainly hardwood. I get rounds that are 30inch oaks with big knots and it splits them. You will not regret buying one trust me.

Scott

Last edited:
I have been borrowing one of these for a couple months now (a 20 year old model with a new B & S 5.5hp engine) and I have to affirm how great of a machine this is. It does seem to have it's challenges with ugly twisted stuff as occasion I have had gnarly pieces get stuck on the wedge but nothing that some whacks with a sledge didn't fix. HINT: spray the wedge head with some sort of lubricant which helps. Considering the quick cycle and low maintenance, I am surprised that these don't have a larger market share.

Last edited:
Does anyone have one of these splitters? I got an insert from them and it looks like a neat unit. The superSplit is a non hydraulic splitter. I would love to hear from someone who has/used one. I'm researching now and plan to buy a splitter of some sort in the spring. Thanks!:cheers:

Bdog, your welcome to come down and try mine. I have split several hundred cord with it and it has nothing but impressed me. I bought mine with a 3.5HP B&S and it works great. I had a little accident and broke the block on the 3.5HP so I replaced it with a 6.5 honda knock-off. The extra HP just helps it push thru nasty wood better. Although the 3.5HP would go though just fine with an extra hit or two.

super splitters

I have 4 super splitters, one is a year old, the other 3 are from 20 to 26 years old... I do over 1000 cords yearly, and I've owned about every type of splitter available. I had a timberwolf TW7 (which is the "packaged" wood splitter), and I had the built-rite 16-way "packaged" wood splitter. The timberwolf was just over $10,000 and the builtrite rite at $14,000. The supersplitters are under $4000. I've sold everything but my supersplitters. Take it from someone who knows; if you are looking to do high-production firewood, super-splitters are THE ONLY way to go.
Of course this is short of a processor, if you can get the wood split the right size a processor would be great.
Don't let people fool you though, you will not split very gnarly wood with these machines. we only cut/buy straight grained wood. We package all of our wood, so we have to have straight pieces to make pretty packages. I do keep an old hydraulic splitter around for huge pieces or the off chance that we get some gnarly stuff. If we have pieces that are over 16-18" in diameter (also depending on wood type) I'll normally halve or quarter them (I do it with a splitting hammer, but my employees normally use the hydro splitter) and then 'finish-split' them with the SS.
I can go on and on about wood splitters, but to make a long story short, buy a super-splitter... You will be happy, even with units priced 3-4times higher, nothing can compete.

Last edited:
i am becoming very interested in this machine. i sell about 60 cords a year and i am using a tw-5 with a four way wedge. are you saying hands down that the ss will out split my machine piece for piece?
up to what diameter wood will this machine go threw because the wedge looks rather short. any info would be great

Where is Winnebago IL at? I live about 40 miles south of St. Louis if you want to drive down and see it work let me know. You could even bring your machine for a race. I think there would be a Timberwolfe in the for sale section if you did. The hydaulic splitter has it's place. But overall that super splitter will walk over it.

Scott

split-fire.com

For the speed I'll stay with my split-fire it combines the best of both worlds!
It splits in both directions, and has the power to split narly stuff. And easy on gas.:givebeer:

i looked into the split fire, but it didn't look like it would be any faster then my tw5. i ended up ordering a super splitter heavyduty model. i'm going to put two of my guys on the tw5 and im gonna run the ss and see who splits the most in a hour. losing machine is getting sold

looks like a nice machiene, however I have not seen a video yet where it splits a nice knotty peice of wood, everything is nice and wicked clear. I would be a lot more interested in one if I knew it had balls

It will split the knotty stuff. It does slow it down. You might have to hit the wood a couple times. If you cut a lot of wood to sell this is hands down the best splitter on the market for speed. I do have a hydraulic unit that i use to quarter the blocks that are to big to lift. I haven't run a tank through it yet this year. It mainly just sits there.

One thing to remember Gage is that these things have a bit of a learning curve. Also I keep a few tools by the rear tire. I have a hatchet,and a big screwdriver. The screwdriver is to put the ram back in case it gets in a bind for some reason. I used it a lot in the beginning but very little now.

This looks like a great machience, but I have one question- if this is so great, why has nobody else been manufacturing it besides superplit- at least to my knowledge. It seems for such a time saver over hydraulic splitters, a few more manufacters would be coming up with similar rack+pinion splitters to sell.

I wonder the same thng. I really think mass produced it would be cheaper then a hydraulic. I think it's because the average person doesn't need a spliter like this and it might appear to be dangerous. With most hydraulics you can let an 8 year old work it by himself hell my 3 year old works the handle on my hydraulic splitter.

Scott

Latest posts

Back