Super Split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember there is a bit of a learing curve. But I am sure you will love it. Isn;t it exciting to have a new toy come in the mail :clap:

Scott

Explain the 'learning' curve required.

I'm going to get me a splitter at some stage but have never used one before so will hire one for a weekend and see if I can get thru the 20+ chord I will have to split. Doesn't look like the Super Spitter is sold in NZ ... but I see a lot of MTD ones advertised ... and yet somewhere here I read the MTD splitters were not that good.

:jawdrop:

Last edited:
You need to read the wood a little more then with a hydraulic splitter. With a hydraulic anywhere you put the wedge it will force it's way through. The super splitter will do the same but it really slows down. Here is an example. If you are spliting a piece of wood and there is a not towards one end. Put that end on the ram side and not the wedge side. The log will pop a lot easier. If you do it the other way you might have to hit the ram more then once. Just things like that. It will split tough wood but it's easier if you help it like that.

Scott

splitfire

Hi, I did some research, as of 2 years ago and ended getting a split-fire. Runs great. As of this summer, I came across the super split. I don't know how I didnt hear about it before. Anyway, the superspit seems real fast but it sits up higher, getting a heavy piece on it might be a problem. Split-fire can drop low, putting the support post down. 99% of the time, I lift the logs. I am in good shape, and keeps me in shape! lol. I read about, getting through tough wood. I guess, the hydrolics cant be beat for that? I dont split enough to warrant spending $3-4k. I got mine used for $1400. Except for the "spider" in the transmission having to be replaced, everything has working great....

QUOTE=ziggy2b;770756]For the speed I'll stay with my split-fire it combines the best of both worlds!
It splits in both directions, and has the power to split narly stuff. And easy on gas.:givebeer:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like people like them (Super splitters), could one of you gents post a pic or two here for us to see? I'm curious enough to go and do a bit of research on them and have a look-see but it would be great to have a few pics here for easy reference when folks read this thread, maybe a link or two too (not tu-tu :p ).

:cheers:

Serge

Google super split ... The official website has a youtube vid that shows the super splitter in action :greenchainsaw:

I ran it today. Scott you were right. It will walk all over my timberwolf. Although, on anything over 24 inches, it tends to turn into kindling. I think it needs a couple more inches on the wedge. All in all it is an an amazing machine! Blistering fast!:jawdrop:

I think you are right about the wedge. I have thought the same thing. I just wondered if that might slow it down a little. Maybe I'll have to try a different wedge just to see I'm glad you like it.

Scott

So whats the verdict? I have been researching both the super-split and the split-fire, and I cant make up my mind.....Found you guys searching around the web.....Now I am more confused!

verdict

split-fire Rules period, has log lift supersplit dos"nt . That was my deciding factor when I looked at these two machines. But if you like handling wood more than you already are go with supersplit:cheers:

I would love to try a splitfire for a true comparison, I believe it is very well designed. One thing I like on the supersplit over the splitfire is that all the wood comes off one end so it goes directly onto the production table then gets pushed off the table onto the conveyor by the next log. I am not a big fan or the horz./vert splitters where the wedge is mounted to the piston. I don't need a log lift as I split logs I can't lift with a splitter mounted to a bobcat.
In times like these with high gas prices the supersplit can split several cord on a gallon of gas.

compare splitter

Well, I have a split-fire , works great. I heard the super-split really works best with only good wood. When it has knots, etc, or not straight good wood, it doesn't split well. As with hydrolics, more raw power.

So whats the verdict? I have been researching both the super-split and the split-fire, and I cant make up my mind.....Found you guys searching around the web.....Now I am more confused!

I had rented a splitfire a couple of years back. It was their biggest model, with the 4-way and log lift. I really liked it, but I think the American splitters are a better value.

For what it's worth, the same rental place had a couple of super split style splitters. I don't remember the specifics, but they rented out the splitfire a lot more often and for more money too. I think that says a lot.

When I watch those super split videos, I can't help but think that the operator is going to wear himself out awfully fast on logs that would be ideal for a 4-way wedge and log lift. You could roll three or four of those logs on a lift, then split them each in turn with a couple of lever pulls and no additional handling....:clap:

gas period

I have a 255 split-fire with a 5.5 honda engine and run all day on a tank of gas. How many other splitters can do that???(at full powerl):jawdrop:

Another member mention he likes his wood to flow one way!!! Let me tell you
sooner or later you'll have to move that supersplit,and you just mite have to duck and cover if you have piece of wood that flies out at you??

I've had my SPLIT-FIRE for three years now and still going strong, no fly outs and some of the narleest pieces of hichory and what ever else you can throw at it and if it don't split it it will cut it...:clap:

I believe a smart man would rent each unit and run it to see if it justifies the price vs. production. If your going to invest 2500.00 or more better think of return on investment or(ROI) When you throw down big money your in it for the long haul.....

Buy the way I went to harbor frieght and got a two wheel dolly with 2" ball on top of it and it makes moving the spiltter with ease:givebeer:

SS uses kinetic energy and impact.

How does the SF work? the link says 2.75 bore cylinder, which seems WAY small, but would be fast. Is it some sort of impacting device or impacting valving like a jack hammer or what?

k

power

It works on brut force in both directions.. Go to split-fire .com and see it it action they have videos and that is how it works...:cheers:

Latest posts

Back