Super Splitter in Foul Weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I am entering my first winter with my Super Split. We had some snow that has now turned wet and heavy. My logs are in an un-managed pile with wet snow on most.

Should I expect any problems with my SS splitting in snowy weather? Does the moisture etc gum up the bearings? Any advice with experienced operators would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

WCA

The follower bearing on mine has a hole in one side that the straw from a WD40 or PB blaster can fits perfectly. It lubes it from the inside out. I fill IBC totes (about 1/3 cord) and spray the bearing and scrape the beam each time we fill a tote. About 150 cords later same follower bearing and minimal wear on the beam. I do store my splitter inside when not in use, I can see how that helps....a lot. In crummy weather you know you have a good pace when there is steam coming off of the wedge.

Ive started greasing the bearings on mine... 25 hours in before regreasing and the follower on the beam didn't miss a beat. No maintenance in-between either.

Go to the end of this thread for final results...

Back