Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woot !!!!

d93fc94b353157b8a0a97fce2a48ff6c.jpg

Special Edition collectibles LOL

The 266XP I just rebuilt for a local woodboogah came back yesterday.......idle issue....may just need the carb set again.....on about the third tank...hope that's all it is. It was giving me a little trouble too, but I thought I got it right......may have to replace the carb.....got a 163 on it right now.....may have a problem with the metering valve seat or perhaps someone crowded the low speed needle to hard on that seat.....hard to tell what has happened to a saw built in 1983 and used commercially.....it pressure and vac tested perfect....new pickup coil....runs and cuts great at WOT.....needles right around 1 turn out + or-....

Yep.......just as I thought, no saving that carb......I had it off four times this morning fussing and readjusting.....but it would still over run coming down from WOT.....would kinda hang at 5000 rpm for a second or two before dropping back to a fairly odd/unstable idle. Changed the carb out to a later type 260A from a 272XP. It ran and idled super.....so that told me for certain that the carb was at fault......however the 272 carb was to big a bore for the intake and it had the later type of idle adjuster. I knew somewhere I had a good 163 Tilly but couldn't seem to find it, but finally did and cleaned and kitted it and it worked perfect.....saw ran excellent and would return to a perfect idle....even after cutting 25 cookies in 12" popple just as fast and as hard as I could crowd her, never letting off her, making sure she was up to temp.......back to the woodbooger she goes tomorrow. The other guy picked up the 2095 today and was astounded how new it looked after I got done with it.....paid cash....happily...good saw day. Also did a carb kit on a 375 cutoff saw but was out of gas so I'll try starting that in the morning after I grab some fuel..

I would almost bet that the L side needle seat is damaged on that carb Robin. I have come across more than one carb that had the same symptoms and had damaged seat in them. Last one was on a Echo 670 that was being abused by wood boogas, they had also filed off the depth gauges completely on the chain, split the nose of the bar open from extra strain and destroyed the sprocket, also was using used motor oil for bar lube. Saw was a nasty black ball of crap, tore out two AV mounts and ripped the rubber bellows between the carb and cylinder. I fixed all that stuff and sent the saw back with a message that I never wanted to see that saw again!

Funny.....I've encountered two carbs in two days that are now in the "carb Parts" box.....this non starting 375K I been working on proved more elusive than I 'spected.......found a brittle metering diaphragm with a slit in it....woot woot!! Easy fix......Walbro HD 30.......kitted it last night and fueled it this morning....started right up but was a bit slow to spool up so I started turning the "L" side in bit rich......little better but as things went along she really started to load up at speed so I leaned the "H" to compensate...made no difference, totally flooded....no start again. So I took the plug out and poured the gas out of the engine....!!!....took the carb apart again and checked everything out.....couldn't find anything amiss really, but had noticed before that the "H" needle was actually bent.....cleaned everything up, set both needles at 1 turn out and put it back together...did the exact same thing.....ended up flooded if I tried to tune it any amount. Went looking for an HD 30.....Woot!! $105.00 to $115.00 was pretty normal with $88.00 plus shipping the lowest I could and that was at Jack's.........but I scrounged around and finally found a NIB HD 30 for $49.99 delivered on ebay...supposed to ship today. Very, very few carbs are total failures I've found.....but two in as many days is definitely odd. $50 bux is cheep enough......I figured if you had a bent steel needle in an aluminum carb that seat probably wasn't healthy either......

Back