Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got fooled this morning.......got back from the island last night and we forgot to set the bedroom clock back an hour....got up at 3:30 instead of 4:30 like I wanted....Oh well...
Good weather over the long weekend for working on various projects at camp. Replaced the old stairs down to the beach......I think the old ones had a few more trips left in them but Unc disagreed....called 'em...."Un-Safe".....bride sided with Unc....I was outvoted so had to comply. Pics were taken on this iphone thing.....getting used to it...sorta......it's the old dog new tricks thing....First pic...Old Stairs then a couple of the New stairs....but even though the stairs are NEW they were built from the OLD 2 X 12 pressure treated top boards from my OLD dump truck.....LOL!! You know what the little birdie says????? "Cheep Cheep Cheep"

View attachment 535985 View attachment 535986 View attachment 535987
Them new steps is sure nice , but I think you coulda got another season from the old ones ! But the saying is happy wife , happy life . LOL

Sure like yer tuning file too ! LOL

Them new steps is sure nice , but I think you coulda got another season from the old ones ! But the saying is happy wife , happy life . LOL

Sure like yer tuning file too ! LOL

They were OK if you knew where to step...LOL!! They just fell to pieces when I unscrewed 'em off of the camp.....that pic is where they stopped falling. However all was not lost.....those steps provided camp heat the rest of Saturday during the day and daytime Sunday....I got every last bit of goodness there was left in 'em!!!!!

Next trip out they get a handrail on the left side and a 6 foot by three foot platform at the top.....

Yep tuning file attests to the island mentality of "Never throw anything away just because it is worn out" You couldn't have filed your fingernails with it....but still made a darn good tuning driver!!

They were OK if you knew where to step...LOL!! They just fell to pieces when I unscrewed 'em off of the camp.....that pic is where they stopped falling. However all was not lost.....those steps provided camp heat the rest of Saturday during the day and daytime Sunday....I got every last bit of goodness there was left in 'em!!!!!

Next trip out they get a handrail on the left side and a 6 foot by three foot platform at the top.....

Yep tuning file attests to the island mentality of "Never throw anything away just because it is worn out" You couldn't have filed your fingernails with it....but still made a darn good tuning driver!!
Looked like they have been there a long time ! LOL

Rob tells me there are a few axe junkies in here. I'm interested in getting into them and am looking for my first. I'd like to find one rusty and completely unrestored, but in otherwise good condition. Here's some pics off eBay just to get your attention ;)

View attachment 536164 View attachment 536165
Danny is the one who knows axes , I just have a few I bought to hang on a wall .

Geez , I'm just a hack .
There are a few guys on the bushcraft websites that have a lot of time and effort in their collections , I only have a few, mainly local older retail mainstream and a few swede/german but nothing like a Black Raven or a stamped axe from the day .
Another good place for info and history is http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Home.html

Lee Valley has a shopping bag with pictures of about 50 different Walters axes with their original paper tags

45K1673s07.jpg

Nice and clear pics of a beautiful collection .
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=66859&cat=2,2260,47776

Pinterest has plenty of great pics .
I like to find them at yardsales , and estate sales , I like to use what I have at least once and have gifted a few away . Kind of neat to find out about them , even the more obscure ones that were local to a town or region , it's just a personal thing I guess , some just collect to collect but there is some real art in the oldies :)
I find that ebay is the easy way .

They are out there , you'll find one and make sure you put up some pics when you do .
I've never seen a stamped/embossed one around here like those holy grails , just a few small logos , makers stamps or name and town .
I've also heard of some grumblings of fake embossed but never seen proof , some of them do command fair monies so an enterprising fella might be tempted ..... Fake paper labels wouldn't surprise me at all .

Latest posts

Back