Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cantdog
Package arrived yesterday........more miserable device parts.......two new valve cover grommets for the tin valve cover.......those 40 year old OEM ones were pretty beet.....also a new neoprene rear diff gasket......cover leaks somewhere at the top some where.....drain re-seal and refill with gear lube. Hope it the gasket and not the cover rusted out.....probably shoulda checked......Oh well plenty of time.....

Here's the cheep meter I got coming......does a lot....if it works at all.....made in Chinah......be a good one to leave out at camp....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AT2150B-Dig...f933cd9&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=151694551486

Cantdog
Dad keeps all of his old instruments around, shorting tach dwell, timing light, etc. Amazing how many people these days don't know what those items are.

Yep....well....anyone born since the invention/application of the crank angle sensor, (which would meen anyone under 35 or so...for most Euro junk) would not have a use......and to try and explain the relation of point dwell to timing figures is hopeless.......actually it was hopeless trying to 'splain that to most guys who grew up with points.......years ago, don't know how many times a friend would say...."Hey you got a timing light!!! Throw that on my car and set the timing, would you?" Then they'd get mad when I said......."No"........pointless to set the timing until the dwell has been set" They'd look at me like I had rocks in muh head.....Chebby V-8s were the only rigs that setting the dwell wasn't a trial and error PITA......nice little door in the side of the cap....reach right in with a hex key (Allen Wrench for us 'Mericans) and dial the dwell right in on the meter..WOOT!!

tbone75
Stihl 041S
Package arrived yesterday........more miserable device parts.......two new valve cover grommets for the tin valve cover.......those 40 year old OEM ones were pretty beet.....also a new neoprene rear diff gasket......cover leaks somewhere at the top some where.....drain re-seal and refill with gear lube. Hope it the gasket and not the cover rusted out.....probably shoulda checked......Oh well plenty of time.....

Here's the cheep meter I got coming......does a lot....if it works at all.....made in Chinah......be a good one to leave out at camp....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AT2150B-Digital-Tachometer-Multimeter-Tach-Dwell-Tester-Automotive-Speed-Duty-US/151694551486?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=73b2c23530064d0786b8ec64bf933cd9&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=151694551486
Oh that is on my Christmas list!!!

Jimmy in NC

Jimmy in NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep....well....anyone born since the invention/application of the crank angle sensor, (which would meen anyone under 35 or so...for most Euro junk) would not have a use......and to try and explain the relation of point dwell to timing figures is hopeless.......actually it was hopeless trying to 'splain that to most guys who grew up with points.......years ago, don't know how many times a friend would say...."Hey you got a timing light!!! Throw that on my car and set the timing, would you?" Then they'd get mad when I said......."No"........pointless to set the timing until the dwell has been set" They'd look at me like I had rocks in muh head.....Chebby V-8s were the only rigs that setting the dwell wasn't a trial and error PITA......nice little door in the side of the cap....reach right in with a hex key (Allen Wrench for us 'Mericans) and dial the dwell right in on the meter..WOOT!!
Love when people have no clue what that is for and i still dont think my brother knows what that flexi Snap-On hex driver is for in dad's box...

Jimmy in NC

Jimmy in NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cantdog
Robin i think they were cheaper on another site.. let me ask someone about them.

Yeah.....$25 bux seems a little steep, but a very handy holder if it works as described. We'll see what John says about it once it arrives....be really nice to clip the tach on and be hands free for tuning or tuning in the cut.....

Jimmy in NC

Jimmy in NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah.....$25 bux seems a little steep, but a very handy holder if it works as described. We'll see what John says about it once it arrives....be really nice to clip the tach on and be hands free for tuning or tuning in the cut.....
I will openly admit I have never had a proper tach personaly or compressio tester. Been looking at the Fast Rach vs the DTI-20k. Not sure which way to go...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jimmy in NC

Jimmy in NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Been reading up on my new war wagon and boy would it make you I'll Robin. Coming home Friday I noticed the voltage gauge around 12v. I am very accustomed to 14.4v on a running auto so I was pretty alarmed. Being only 2 miles from la casa I pushed on and with an out of town departure in the AM I had to let it sit.

Reading last night it has a variable output alternator that is run by the computer for fuel economy. I can see this being an issue in the future but hope I am wrong. Not sure I will ever get use to a gauge that goes from 12v to 15.5v and all be normal.

Cantdog
I will openly admit I have never had a proper tach personaly or compressio tester. Been looking at the Fast Rach vs the DTI-20k. Not sure which way to go...

I've had the Fast Tach for 4-5 years at least.....works great.....be nice to not HAVE to hold it in position though.....

Cantdog
Been reading up on my new war wagon and boy would it make you I'll Robin. Coming home Friday I noticed the voltage gauge around 12v. I am very accustomed to 14.4v on a running auto so I was pretty alarmed. Being only 2 miles from la casa I pushed on and with an out of town departure in the AM I had to let it sit.

Reading last night it has a variable output alternator that is run by the computer for fuel economy. I can see this being an issue in the future but hope I am wrong. Not sure I will ever get use to a gauge that goes from 12v to 15.5v and all be normal.

Hmmm that's wild.....I guess once you get used to it be OK...but...probably keep watching it to make sure it goes back up...thinking the worst......not a "confidence inspiring" device fer sher....