Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH yeah!!!!!! Got to the shop by six this morning.....didn't even have breakfast.....just Koffee....took a thermos with me too....took care of the known self fail first thing.....then found that I had swapped the solenoid connections.....that ended with turning the key to "on" and the starter engaging and not disengaging even with the key turned to "off"......figgerd that out quick......then on the first start attempt......turned ovah a few times then went pffft out the carb.....OK.......figgered just my luck with only two chances I'd be 180 off.......surenuff....put the comp tester in number one cyl and ,and manually brought her up about 40 degrees ahead......then gigged the starter....she was on the compression stroke............the rotor as pointing to number six........pulled the distributer and retimed 180 and reinstalled.......VROOM!!.....ran a little weird at first.....tweeked the timing, idle speed and low air bleed jets........eventually the miserable device agreed to run haff normal....good power.......idles hot at 45 psi oil pressure.........down the road 50mph , hot........60psi..........that's freekin way better than 9psi hot on the road and 3-4 psi at idle hot...........WOOT!!
Great job Robin!

Nuther crappy day.....worked more on the miserable device......got rid of all the useless wiring and wire tied the rest more or less in an orderly fashion....that went pretty good...everything still works!!!

Spent some time fussing with the carb.....it has a hesitation just off idle....it's fine if you take right off but if you engage the clutch just a bit then add a little gas she fall on her face for a second or two then take off like a jack rabbit. Not good for doing low speed maneuvers in traffic or going down weebly little island roads where you need good low end torque and reliable just off idle operation.......did some research on the web and found a fairly easy fix......took it apart and put that part through the UC for 45 minutes or so......put it all back together but not to confident that it will make a difference as I didn't seem to encounter the blockage described. Was raining late this afternoon so I didn't feel like standing in the rain trying to get a good tune. I'll try it first thing in the morning. If what did today doesn't fix it I'll get a kit and tear the whole thing down and UC and chase all the tiny passages, one buy one the reassemble and adjust things as per instructions.......if that doesn't fix it I'll buy a brandy new 38MM Webber and pressure regulator and be done with it!! It seems to have passage restrictions in the idle and bypass circuits....once you get by that tiny spot it runs perfect...

jeep wires 001.JPG jeep wires 004.JPG

Noticed a capped threaded pipe nipple on the cobbled together exhaust, planning on running water cooled exhaust...LOL

LOL........all these header pipes come with a smooth stainless nipple that needed to be capped in some manner......I didn't want to simply cut it off and weld the pipe in as I didn't want to burn away the galvanizing........so.......in my fittings stash I found a brass onion that was the correct diameter straight thread to fit inside the nipple... the other end was pipe thread so I brazed the onion into the SS nipple and then capped it with the brass pipe cap.....it was a "run what ya brung" kinda fix..LOL!!

LOL........all these header pipes come with a smooth stainless nipple that needed to be capped in some manner......I didn't want to simply cut it off and weld the pipe in as I didn't want to burn away the galvanizing........so.......in my fittings stash I found a brass onion that was the correct diameter straight thread to fit inside the nipple... the other end was pipe thread so I brazed the onion into the SS nipple and then capped it with the brass pipe cap.....it was a "run what ya brung" kinda fix..LOL!!

Las Miseralab will be worth its weight in gold by the time it gets to the island. If the vacuum is off I have seen many carb related problems with them. Had a new Isky cam once that was completely off its grind, had to replace it to get the vac up, valve timing just wouldn`t work and the engine had a steady 15 inches of vac.

Las Miseralab will be worth its weight in gold by the time it gets to the island. If the vacuum is off I have seen many carb related problems with them. Had a new Isky cam once that was completely off its grind, had to replace it to get the vac up, valve timing just wouldn`t work and the engine had a steady 15 inches of vac.

I'm going to follow the carb as the issue for the time being......it's just a little stumble at a very specific low throttle setting.....just off idle....you can drive right by it without difficulty.....but it is right where you don't want it.....idles perfect....accelerates perfect...goes down the road fine....it seems to be right in the idle air passages, just before the mid range circuit takes over......from my readings a very common complaint with the Carter BBD.....I know a $300.00 Webber will cure it.....but would rather fix the Carter.....I meen...it is a 40 year old carb.....might need a thorough cleaning and a kit.....LOL!!

OK.........this is so usual that I can't stand it......after the last post I went to mikescarb.com and ordered a full kit of 'Merican made gaskets for the BBD......not bad $29.45 to my door. Went to the shop and took the Jeep out.....first time it has been run since yesterday's internet directed carb idle tube fix......runs flawless.....no stumble...starts first flip...idles perfect....electric choke opens correctly to full........'Nuther $30 bux I didn't need to spend......but on the other hand.....good to have a fresh kit in stock......Woot!!

OK.........this is so usual that I can't stand it......after the last post I went to mikescarb.com and ordered a full kit of 'Merican made gaskets for the BBD......not bad $29.45 to my door. Went to the shop and took the Jeep out.....first time it has been run since yesterday's internet directed carb idle tube fix......runs flawless.....no stumble...starts first flip...idles perfect....electric choke opens correctly to full........'Nuther $30 bux I didn't need to spend......but on the other hand.....good to have a fresh kit in stock......Woot!!
Long as you have that kit , you will never need it . LOL

Every time I do a little cleanup in the tool room I find new unused GM truck parts I had squirreled away, had that old truck for 34 years, piled up a lot of spares that it never needed. Darn shame to have to toss them out.

Robin you know we need some action shots Bud style...videos would be better.. think "smoke screen"

Hmmmm shoulda got some pics before the transplant....but even as worn out as it was the old motor didn't smoke....neither out the exhaust or off the tires....it did, however smoke some from oil leakage down ovah the exhaust manifold.....

The miserable device has 270 gearz.....not gonna be a lot tire smokin' there either.....I'd be a lot happier if it had 410's.....be a lot easier getting around where it's going.....oh well.....always got low range......haven't do anything but drive it around on the road so far.....not pretty enough for those kind photos. There will be shots taking it to the island later but have no idea when that will happen.....want to put 1000 miles or so on trouble shooting before the trip.

Latest posts

Back