Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phew......75 'Merican in the shade...water tyme!!! Had to have a couple goes at this chain this morning.....took the rakers down 4-5 strokes.....teeth seemed sharp.......cut up 3-4 small stems to get cleaned up.....stihl making chips like a Stihl.....wimpy lil' dusty things....back to the grinder...sharpen...chain getting almost down to the angle marks.....took the rakers down 4-5 more strokes......mmmmmmm...perfect...nice fat chips and LOTS of them...self feed perfectly on the upcut as well as the down.....guess I kinda forgot what this saw will really do with enough bite......spend more tyme stacking than cutting now!!!!:( Woot!!!:rock: :chainsaw:

As usual that success story didn't last long.....shut the saw off, piled the wood, took a short lunch break...went back to it...gave the saw a yank....fired first pull but stalled....yank, yank, yank????? WTF??? Likely flooded.....let it set for a spell...did a couple other things.....yank, yank, yank...pulled the plug dry as a bone??? Examined the fuel line and found the issue.....line all pitiful and almost gooey....of course this saw frame is from a time when Husky copied Stihl and had a "Special line" with the grommet made into it....pizz poor idea....so much so that they dropped it in later saws of this same family in red or orange. Of course I had one right in stock but quite a bit of work to R&R...much easier and cheaper using a NORMAL straight line....fekkin ethanol...fekin ovah complicated fuel lines.....at least they figured it out and stopped doing that.....unlike.....well you know.....the other ones.....

There.....started second pull....good for another 8 years.....if it lasts as good as the original OEM one I put in when I built the saw....
Well done Lad.......could I check for those lines at my local JonseredS dealer for ya?

I take it they for more than one model.

Oh....the anchor ain't complicated.......just got to be welded and screwed together...........

Well done Lad.......could I check for those lines at my local JonseredS dealer for ya?

I take it they for more than one model.

Oh....the anchor ain't complicated.......just got to be welded and screwed together...........

Hmmmmmm Unc....sounds pretty complicated to erect......probably assemble at the shop where there are welding devises......NONE on the island....

Never trust anything that screws together if its to be used on or in the ocean, weld the durn thing solid. Constant wave action can and will cause screwed together things to come apart.
I don't have long pieces of SS shafting. So threaded shorter pieces.

2 3/16" with 1"-8 SS studs between them. 2 1/2" of engagement in each piece with stud strength loctite ought to do it......a bead is also easy to add.......

Never trust anything that screws together if its to be used on or in the ocean, weld the durn thing solid. Constant wave action can and will cause screwed together things to come apart.

Yep weld or drilled and SS safety wire for any threaded things.......it always amazed me how things will rust away in the ocean but very rarely will they rust together like in the atmosphere...

Yep weld or drilled and SS safety wire for any threaded things.......it always amazed me how things will rust away in the ocean but very rarely will they rust together like in the atmosphere...
We never weld pumps together........but I've only seen ones come back after 50 years.........nothin long term.

And SS wire....oh tosh........got heavy gauge Inconel...........

I don't have long pieces of SS shafting. So threaded shorter pieces.

2 3/16" with 1"-8 SS studs between them. 2 1/2" of engagement in each piece with stud strength loctite ought to do it......a bead is also easy to add.......

Add the bead unc, the ocean is unforgiving and never stops moving.

Especially a mooring of any type, constantly in motion, bouncing, jiggling and swaying. Seen many where shackles came apart even though they had been safety wired, the wire chaffed through.

We never weld pumps together........but I've only seen ones come back after 50 years.........nothin long term.

And SS wire....oh tosh........got heavy gauge Inconel...........

Ahh, the ocean is not like a machine, no constant one direction movement, the ocean is like an animal, moves in all directions and sometimes very violently.

Oh it's built to tighten well........outside radius purchase only. So very easy to run a bead.

And on pumps there is lots of twisting and untwisting torque when it starts. Lol we tie them down real well to test.

And with hundreds of open end fasteners they are a pain to take apart. Esp after years in the water. And no loctite.......anti seize is used.

But I design right on the edge of ovahkill......there will be beads.....

Didn't get a lot done yesterday......was getting ready to hit woodpile when the bride showed up all in a dither.....she was upset as the turbo on the Saab wasn't boosting properly....she was worried the turbo was shot. I took it for a drive and sure enough, very light boost and the more throttle you add the less boost....hmmmmm......usual turbo fail involves a LOT of smoke in my experience.....did a bunch of research which led me to Boost Control Valve....or BPC (Boost Pressure Control)....cheap enough, Genuine Saab $42....threw in a couple MANN oil filters for the Volvo to get the order ovah fiddy bux to get free shipping. It'll be here tomorrow.
Got into the woodpile about 5 yesterday afternoon.....the old 61/268 with Extra Pee was really slicin' and dicin' in the truck length Maple, 10"-20" dia......but the trigger seemed to be somewhat sticky.......guess I'll have to find out why this morning....perhaps the throttle shaft is worn or the trigger lock is interfering......can pretty much do away with that Husky high idle system as I have a 670 Jonsered recirculating carb on it and the high idle is built into the carb's linkage rather than the trigger linkage.

Didn't get a lot done yesterday......was getting ready to hit woodpile when the bride showed up all in a dither.....she was upset as the turbo on the Saab wasn't boosting properly....she was worried the turbo was shot. I took it for a drive and sure enough, very light boost and the more throttle you add the less boost....hmmmmm......usual turbo fail involves a LOT of smoke in my experience.....did a bunch of research which led me to Boost Control Valve....or BPC (Boost Pressure Control)....cheap enough, Genuine Saab $42....threw in a couple MANN oil filters for the Volvo to get the order ovah fiddy bux to get free shipping. It'll be here tomorrow.
Got into the woodpile about 5 yesterday afternoon.....the old 61/268 with Extra Pee was really slicin' and dicin' in the truck length Maple, 10"-20" dia......but the trigger seemed to be somewhat sticky.......guess I'll have to find out why this morning....perhaps the throttle shaft is worn or the trigger lock is interfering......can pretty much do away with that Husky high idle system as I have a 670 Jonsered recirculating carb on it and the high idle is built into the carb's linkage rather than the trigger linkage.
Hope its a quick easy fix on the Saab and saw .

Back