switching from 50:1 to 32:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oil you buy should say synthetic, or semi-synthetic on the label. In my experience, all the oil I've seen lately that meets the ISO L-EGD standard, and the JASO FC standard has at least a synthetic content.

I believe that if you are going to go with the more oil-rich mix, it would be best to use the synthetic oils, as they are supposed to reduce the tendency to build up carbon in your exhaust system , ring grooves, cylinder head and piston top, etc.

What is your reasoning? Some folks like the idea of having one mix for everything they own, others have concerns about their engine's lubrication.

Hi There, I always used 50:1 for 20 years in all my saws, but recently reconsidered after talking with Ken Dunn.
Because I use only modified saws now and run them at or slightly above factory RPM, I was convinced that the thicker mix cant hurt the saw. It is only when the saw is run to rich on the high setting that the thicker mix is of no use and could cause carbon build up.
John

richer?

Quite a few years go I raced enduro bikes.The shop I raced for gave us out an info packet that had a quite lengthy study about oil in 2 strokes.Basicaly from what I remember it showed that increasing the oil in the mix helped the rings to seal better and create more hp,and I think run cooler.Anybody got any thoughts on this?
Russ

Quite a few years go I raced enduro bikes.The shop I raced for gave us out an info packet that had a quite lengthy study about oil in 2 strokes.Basicaly from what I remember it showed that increasing the oil in the mix helped the rings to seal better and create more hp,and I think run cooler.Anybody got any thoughts on this?
Russ
I agree. Just make sure you adjust your carb if you increase your oil because it thickens the fuel mix, slowing the flow rate. So generally you need to richen the fuel to air adjustment.

haha! someone was board and went looking through the past!:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Here's a 372XP I have apart now, There is a chunk broken out of the piston. The inside of the engine was dry, sticky to the touch. The wrist pin bearing was so dry I could rattle it. The owner said he mixed 50:1. This looks like a lack of lubrication to me.

Cause we all know they are always telling the truth. All owners don't want to look stupid while going into your local repair dealer to tell them "I only used straight gas for 3 cuts honest!" And they find it easier for the problem to be the saw. I don't buy it.

The top of that piston is starting to turn death white looks like no oil to me or way too lean

maybe he did use 50:1, but if the inlet screen is blocked, or the carb tweaked too lean, it won't matter...

Why is this in Rah's 2002 thread??

Last edited:
I am considering switching from 50:1 to 32:1. I need opinions and also how RPM change will I notice? Will the RPM go higher or lower? How do I tell if an oil is sythetic ?

You gonna run Klotz Benol 2 Castor? :clap:

I get saws in that have been nuked, but the gas is 50:1, clean and new... yeah.. sure... the saw died on that gas...

The other variation is "my friend, brother, mother, aunt, uncle, concubine etc borrowed the saw...and it came back dead... "

It's like lying to your doctor... who are you really kidding?

Latest posts

Back