Synthetic oil brand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have seen Woodland Pro synthetic oil recommended. I have Stihl ms290 saw. Is this oil superior to, say, Stihl brand oil?

Some folks won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. I won't say it's superior to Stihl ultra but the WP Syn is ester based and it's much cheaper than the Stihl and it smells much better to me as well. I usually get my WP oil from Amazon since Bailey's usually has $1.99 shipping when sold through Amazon. Although not officially licensed through JASO, WP syn is FD rated and Ultra is FB rated. WP is blended and bottled by Spectrum Corp and Stihl Ultra is blended and bottled by Omni Specialty Packaging.

I have been running my MS231 and every other bit of two stroke power equipment I have for years with either Castrol Power 1 MX oil or Echo two stroke oil, whichever is cheaper when I need to stock up. Both are cheaper than Stihl and officially JASO rated and my equipment sees a lot of abuse.

I have a Husky 440e , that I use in the winter to cut my oak logs.
I have used JSASO -FD synt oil , and now use dear old Belray full synt.
No probs so far on my 2009 vintage saw.

I'm too lazy to cut a whole lot of wood, I just use 50 to 1 pre-mix bottle gas.

But if I did run a chainsaw all day, I'd probably do something like 45 to 1, and something not too cheap and skanky, like echo 2 cycle oil, which I can pick up around the corner. Much less of a pain in the ass than having to drive 8 blocks for no ethanol 93 octane gas to mix with it.

Then what to do with the leftover mix? Add a touch of stabil and pour it into all those empty metal bottle gas containers? Probably. Certainly would not leave it more than 24 hours outside in a plastic container where it can suck in moisture like nobodies business.

I suppose it doesn't really matter unless you make the mistake of grabbing marine grade two cycle mix in the auto section at the corner market.

The Lucas I have is 'snowmobile' oil.. JASO FD and I forget the other certifications.. doesn't smell bad and I run more oil than most people here

That Klotz smells pretty good in my saws. So does Polaris VES. As long as it's rated. I just tried out the snogo oils to see what they smelled like. I have been working on a case of Husky synthetic for a year now. No smoke at 32:1 and no real smell that I can detect. Just smells like a chainsaw running.

I've run the Woodsmans Pro Syn for years without a problem. I mix it at 3 oz. per gallon or 1 1/2 to a half just because I have a measuring cup with those increments. Never had a problem. I run it in all my 2 stroke equipment.

I'll run synthetic from motorcycle shops too if I get it on sale. I bought 2 quarts of Silkolene full synthetic a couple years ago on clearance. I don't like using the motorcycle oil because a lot of it doesn't have the blue additives so its harder for me to remember what gas can I'm grabbing.

I was running the Poulan synthetic when our local Wal Mart war carrying it and selling it cheap.

I'm a cheap skate so its all about saving a buck for me.

Further to my note above, I can get the Belray H 1-R at €22 for a litre , which is cheaper than I can get it in uk
Yes I had used Stihl red oil, but Belray @ 50:1 is a better bet
Happy new year to everyone

Interesting. I was in my local Canadian Tire (auto/hardware/food/camping/shoes/etc) and the small containers of Poulan oil was $3.99. I went into my local Husqvarna/Echo/Dolmar dealer and a 6 pack of Husqvarna XP oil was $11.99, works out to $2 a container. Another reason to support your local dealer I suppose.

Back