tach tuning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok guys here is a question for you certified saw tech types.

I got myself a sen-dec shop tach for Christmas.

I used it to retune my 026.

My last tune on the 026 had been made out cutting firewood a few weeks ago, the saw was way too fat so I had leaned it to the edge of 4 stroking and it was clearing up in the cut really nicely. I had pulled the plug after the day and the plug looked great. The air filter was packed with crap, I hadn't noticed how bad it had gotten while cutting. I cleaned out the filter, washed and dried it and reinstalled.

All that like I said was a few weeks ago. So yesterday I took it out and ran it on the tach w/o the bar and chain mounted to set the max speed. My tach run was at 15,400 rpm with the previous setting but now with a clean filter. I'm sure the leaness was due to having retuned the saw with a filthy air filter. So ok, I retuned it again and opened up the H screw and got it back to 13,500 no load speed w/no bar and chain mounted. Next I mounted the bar and chain and checked the tach again, it came it about 11,700 rpm with the bar and chain on. Still sounded fat but when I put it too the wood it cleared up and cut great.

Q#1 Did I tune it correctly by setting the max speed w/o bar and chain?

Q#2 Is it normal for the rpm to fall off by 2K rpm with just the bar and chain mounted?

Q#3 If it is still 4 stroking at 14,500 rpm can I run it there? I do not have a muffler mod, but it does have the old 4 hole muffler and the spark screen is long gone. It was still 4 stroking at 14,500 w/o bar and chain, but I went ahead and got it back to 13,500 like it should be at.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

You should set your carb with the b & c installed. You might want to go a bit heavier on the 2-cycle mix if you are running at higher than recommended RPM's. A couple of my saws were woods ported and the builder said to run @ 32/1.

Running a saw wide open with no load is not the best but obviously tolerated for setting the carb. Without a bar & chain WOT is worse. I never set a carb with out the bar and chain attached.

Set to to 14 - 14.5k with an 18 to 20 inch bar and chain (correctly tensioned and lubed)... it should still be slightly 4-stroking. Run 50:1, Synthetic oil mix, premium gas.

Latest posts

Back