Talk to me about Echo chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a couple of echo 302S for climbing saws back in the mid 90's. They were used and abused but never had any problems with them. Also had a echo 330 EVL limbing/climbing saw, and didnt have any issues with it.

Last time I did some timed cuts
Echo 8000 14 sec
Stihl 044 19 sec
Echo6700 muf mod 20 sec
Echo CS510 22 sec stock
Echo Cs440 muf mod 25 sec
Husky Rancher55 30 sec stock with a 3/8 chain, switched to a 325 chain now it beats my CS440 by a little
All with sharp chiesel chain. Steve

I could have passed over this thread but.......na
I've got a CS440 here at the house......worthless, underpowered piece of crap. Oh sorry did I say that????
Dolmar is in the same price range and is worlds apart on performance.

IMO

echo's are ok, the engineering quality is pretty good, they pay a lot of attention to quality controll, precision etc. but all the japs do is copy someone elses design and make it better. its a shame that they do it 10 years later, when the euro stuff is already on to the next big thing.

You could buy an echo and be happy, as they are quite reliable. severely underpowerd (consistant across the entire range), but quite reliable.

Or you could go for the euro stuff which has all the bells and whistles, feels / looks cooler, and is 10 years ahead the jappafantastica stuff

I got the opportunity to run an Echo 440 today for a few minutes. Not overly heavy, not overly powerful (my Makita 540 will run circles around it, as it should) very quiet and smooth. The thing I didn't like about it was the fuel cap. It was down in a recessed area and try as I might I could not budge it without the scwrench.:angry2: That did it for me. I usually have a scwrench with me but as sure as hell when I needed it the worst I wouldn't have it...No thanks.
Mike

I use my CS-440 for firewood gathering and clean up. I really like it, compared to my previous saws (poulan) it seemed like a pro saw. Now that I have built and run some bigger saws it seems pretty slow. Echo's saving graces are super easy starting, hot/cold, raining, etc they are one pull starters. Also, they are easily available for much less than the MSRP prices, just check craigs or the bay. I see the new CS-400's BNIB for $200 every day. I haven't checked out the newer orange models but the older gray ones like my CS-440 are built quite well from quality materials. The oilers work very well and I think many are adjustable.

I don't regret my purchase not one bit and the Echo is still my primary saw to grab for firewood and when I am just going to bring 1 saw to a job since I know it won't let me down.

Ideally I really like a 2 saw system when I go cutting. I use the Echo for everything smaller then 12" or so and if there is a big trunk or I need to fell something larger I would grab one of my bigger saws, it is also convienent to have a spare saw to cut yourself from a bind so I always try to bring an extra saw anyway.

My "big" saws are really quite small compared to what many people around here have but our trees are tiny too. Not EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas I guess...

Anyway, yeah most people love to point out Echo's very real power shortcomings but don't sell them short on quality and reliability they are a quality item. When I'm out cutting on downed trees to fill my truck/trailer so much more time is spent getting through the brush and mess to the actual cutting the fact that my saw is 20% slower in the cut than something else matters very little to me.

I just had my ole CS750EVL out today. Aint been started in bout 4 months. Took two pulls with choke then one with out and away it went.

I don't know anything about the newer ones but I have owned a couple other older ones (CS650 CS602 Deere 80ev) and there rock solid saws.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I have a 750 I bought new in 1980. Always reliable. Just started leaking all the fuel out of the tank whenever you fill it. Runs fine. I found my owner's and operator's manual from over 30 years ago and I have searched the internet to no avail. How do you get to the fuel lines and fuel filter? I don't wanna screw somethin gup. Thanks in advance for your help. Pete

i have run echos for years and not have had 1 minute of trouble out of them,, my cs-530 is a screamer,,

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I have a 750 I bought new in 1980. Always reliable. Just started leaking all the fuel out of the tank whenever you fill it. Runs fine. I found my owner's and operator's manual from over 30 years ago and I have searched the internet to no avail. How do you get to the fuel lines and fuel filter? I don't wanna screw somethin gup. Thanks in advance for your help. Pete

Take the side cover off, and the line and gas opening should be at the bottom.

By side cover I mean the cover that has the pull start on it. The 750 looks just like my grandfathers Cs-451VL.

I've been working on "restoring" my grandfathers Cs-451vl and it looks like it is a well built saw. I bought a carb kit for it and will install it in the next few days, so I think it will start right up after sitting in a barn/shack for 24 to 30 years.

My boy's saw is a echo simply because it is the slowest saw that I've had in the garage yet.:hmm3grin2orange:

I would agree with most that the echo saws are down on power compared to Husky/J-red and Stihl. However the one thing that I can say about the echos is they are very reliable. We run the snot out of our 360T's and they take a beating from multiple users. We had some larger echos many years back...cs440 evl and cs660 evl and they too didn't meet the power demands we had, but again where very reliable saws. Our engine shop still keeps the 440's and 660's available as back ups / loaners as they still run well. Decide on a saw based on the type of use and the amount of time you will spend on the handles.

For all you Echo saws are down on power boys you need to go back and watch mweba vid on the vid of (670 eating black walnut) thread post 93 where a 45cc Echo cuts faster than a 3.8hp MS290 56cc and wasn't that far behind a 038 mag 72cc and then still say Echo saws are down on power. Yes if you buy a new Echo you need to pull the caps tune right and do a muff modd (sounded like all 3 were muff modded in that vid) to get that power but that takes around 20 minutes. I've found the same thing over the years tuned right, muff modded and a aggressive chain Echo saws per cc cut quite a bit faster than home owner Stihl and Husky saws and right with or just a hair slower than thier pro saws. Steve

cyborg, thaks for the reply. I took the plunge and cleaned up the saw and took it apart. Super easy. The fuel line from the tank connector to the carb was kinda like one big long booger. The dang thing ran great though. Go figure. I'm off to the small engine shop to get some fuel line in the next day or so. The in-tank line is still good, but I'll probably still replace it while it's apart. Talk about reliable, I bought this saw in 1980, put a 24" bar on it, and cut 2 cords of wood a day for an entire summer. Since then, it sits in my shed, coming out once or twice a year to assist me i yard cleanup. I've never drained the gas, never put Sta-Bil in it, never replaced the plug, and it starts on the second pull every time.
This fuel line failure is the first time it's let me down.

Reading through this thread I realized it is better than two years old. What happened since then? Two pages of decent reviews on Echo saws from respected members and nobody talkin trash until this recent revival.

These are not the Echo saw of the past, piston ported well engineered saws (I wouldn't mind having a classic either). They are not hot rods and have not claimed to be. Just a solid reliable saw with Great manufacture support and warranty (2 year comm, 5 year homeowner). If they have a downfall it would be HD, just the same as Husky going with national chains.

My experience running both saws: If I fell a tree and grab the 346xp for limbing, the job could take five minutes. Now lets say I pick up my echo, the job would take five and a half minutes. Thirty seconds at the most on a tree, does that really make or break your day? I can make up more time just by working smart.

Said it before, get the saw that has dealer support in your area, or feels the best in your hands.

Well I'm a homeowner, so this is just my two cents....

I had to borrow a friends new Stihl 171 (might have been a 181) after I destroyed the 5 year old Echo CS-306 I had. (Notably the 306 was given to me by my father-in-law, where it was used for a very limited time and then promptly put in the basement and forgotten about for several years. It was a bear to start and hard to keep running.....if I had only found this site sooner....)

Either way, there was a night and day difference between that ill running Echo and that new Stihl....that 171 was so slow. Maybe it was an extremely dull chain (didn't feel like it) or something was off, but it took forever... It also seemed very sluggish in comparison...

That's the main reason I picked up the CS-440 off ebay to replace the 306. It seemed a little sluggish as well when I first got it. After a quick muffler mod, and retune it zips right along. Also getting rid of the low kick back chain helped immensely. I looked at the Stihl and Husky, but I had experience with Echo products, we have a local dealer, and the price was right.

My boy's saw is a echo simply because it is the slowest saw that I've had in the garage yet.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, but I bet he runs that MS 210 when you're not looking. Have worked on a couple of older Echo's/older Deere badged saws and it reminds me a lot of the last days of McCulloch-OK but there's better stuff made at that time. No experience with the newer plastic stuff saw wise, trimmers are ok.

At this point I've owned most of their newer offerings except for the CS-450 and 600P.

Echo made some real "turds" over the years, and some that are just OK. The just OK models being the CS-440 and CS-670.

The CS-510/520's are very strong runners.

Any of the reed valve engine models will fall into the "turd" catagory, CS-300, 301, 3450, 341, 346, etc.

The CS-330's and 360's are piston ported, and much faster that the other top handle models.

All of the older models with the spark plug down by the handle are pretty slow. I bought a one back in the early 1980's, and quickly got rid of it in favor of a Husqvarna 480CD, which I still own today.

It appears that Echo is hammering away at the current market with some better saws, at least in terms of power and cutting speed.

They still offer some "low end" stuff, but even those are great little saws. The CS-370's/400's are nice saws. I use them for limbing, light, great torque and very fuel efficient. They are NOT high speed designs, but pound for pound and dollar for dollar there isn't anything out there any better in that price range, IMHO.

Just for comparison purposes, I've owned two CS-670's (dumped them on Ebay), and still have a completely rebuilt CS-6700. I never use it (it's actually a "loaner" saw these days), and none of them would hold a candle to my Husqvarna 262XP or 268XP.

In contrast, my CS-510 cuts equally as well as my closed port Husqvarna 55, and has been dead solid reliable now for quite a few years. I use those two saws more than any others in my line-up these days, light, very fast, and easy on fuel......Cliff

no one mentioned a echo cs 500 vl its a fun saw and sounds great have a look
attachment.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back