Talk to me about Echo chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:confused:I think I may have made a mistake. I was wanting a 20" chain saw for when I needed a "larger" saw then my smaller saws (homelite and poulan) and my old 20" clinton chain saw was just too heavy and old. I have owned an Echo weedeater for over 30 years so I thought maybe I'd like one of the saws. Bought a 500EVL off of ebay that ended up costing me about $150. Started when I got it, shut it off after 30 seconds to see if chain was oiling, and hasn't run since. No fire. Unplugged switch, replaced plug... nothing. Seems these saws have a reputation for bad coils and ignition modules (mine does have electronic ignitiion), and they are no longer available. Seller won't take it back. Any ideas?

Send a msg to ebay member:cheapchainsawparts and ask if he has the coil/module you are lookign for. He has a coil from an 550evl for $25 listed, might be the same one?

But if I were you I'd consider filing a dispute with ebay/paypal over the dead saw you bought. Coil probs can be intermittent, so just a fluke it started once for you.

New member here - been spending alot of time searching. I'm considering an echo for my first saw, a CS600 to be specific. Its between that and the Stihl MS362. I have experience running many different saws by Stihl (MS190, MS260, MS361) but I've never run an echo. I do, however, own an echo trimmer and 2 echo blowers and I love them. My needs will be firewood along with some felling in the back woods behind our property.

When you talk about a "muffler mod", I assume that is opening it up/removing baffles, etc, but can you be more specific? I've searched around a bit but it seems like the "muffler mod" is something everybody here "just knows"...

Are there any directions or links that show a DIY/How-to for a muffler mod?

For less than the cost of the Echo you could have a Makita 6401 that will cut circles around both the 361 and the Echo 600.
But I HATE people who recommend saws not included in the question so I won't mention that.
I would get the 361 between those two.

Mike

Super, thats the other way around. Makita now owns the Dolmar, but the factory is still going I think. They just make blue saws, too.
Whats a superbuick? Does it get you to bingo faster, and have quicker turn signal cancelers?

JEff - Good to know about the Makita/Dolmars.

Cost is a factor as well.

I wouldn't say I'm a Buick guy per se (old screen name), though I owned one once a decade ago, but I think a superbuick would be this: http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-detroit/a-closer-look-at-the-1987-buick-grand-national-gnxpicture
:)

Grandma drives one of them to church, almost every Sunday. And Saturday to the Bandwagon polka show filming.
Efcos don't cost that much, BTW. What size saw are you looking at? We can fix you up. But if you have an Echo dealer right there, that counts for something, too.

Thanks Jeff :laugh:

I'm looking to spend around $500, and I do have an Echo dealer, quite literally, 100 yards from where I live...so as you can see I do enjoy the ability to walk over and get a part when I need one :)

I guess I'm back to not having an ECHO chainsaw. The guy I bought it from on E-bay decided to give me my money back. Lucky that way but I wish the saw would have ran good. May keep my eyes out for a good Stihl.

I guess I'm back to not having an ECHO chainsaw. The guy I bought it from on E-bay decided to give me my money back. Lucky that way but I wish the saw would have ran good. May keep my eyes out for a good Stihl.

Good luck on whatever brand you buy...Bob

Within the past couple of weeks I have been accumulating John Deere 80EV chainsaws. I impulsively purchased one on Ebay about 3 weeks ago after reading what little info there is on them. What sold me on buying one of these sight unseen was the list of features, and the fact that the guy said in the ad that he had just finished cutting with it before posting the ad (guess he bought a new saw).

When it came I un-boxed it, assembled the bar and chain, fueled and oiled it, then gave it a pull. It started with what I would describe as a half a pull. It blew my mind. I have been using it as my main saw since.

So far the max number of pulls it has needed is 3, and that was due to my own lack of finesse. When I am quick I can knock the choke off right after the first pull so it only requires one pull (this is when cold). The compression release makes the whole starting procedure effortless and easy to do in hand.

I sold the two Stihls I had to fund additional 80EV's, spare parts, and upgrades which include full wrap handle and Oregon reduced weight D009 bar. Both Stihls and my Husky can be tuned to start easy, but over time they become harder to start. I decided to keep the Husky for its light weight, power, and compression release.

As for performance I would say that the 80EV has very slightly less top end power than the 044, but it has the torque of the 066 (maybe even more). I am a big fan of the construction which is all metal (what I at first thought was some plastic ended up being magnesium, even the small air cleaner cover!). It should be noted that magnesium is the lightest metal there is, which is about half the weight of aluminum. As for the features it has that my other saws don't are:

Compression Release
Auto Oiler with adjustment knob (no tools needed)
Manual override oiler
Cleanable/Reusable aircleaner
Throttle lock (if ever needed for starting, but not likely)
knob for manually adjusting idle speed (no tools needed)
Magnesium everywhere
Sounds like two stroke 450 flat track motorcycle.

I read elsewhere on this thread that Echos are slow. Well all I can say is that this big Echo may be slower than the 066, but it is way more of a pleasure to operate, listen to and start. What also surprises me is the saws compactness for its displacement/power. The power head is shorter length wise and height wise then the Husky 359. Its compactness is kinda deceiving though, because I would say this saw weighs as much as if not more than the 066. One thing is for sure, cutting three cords in a day with this heavy beast will make an honest man out of anybody.

I can't wait for the two other saws to come. I am going to hopefully have one restored saw, one hotsaw, and one beater saw. One testiment to this saw is that I have yet to find one for sale that is not in running condition.

-JR

Last edited:
+1 You won't get any bad raps from me about your old 80V/CS-750 Echo. My dad had a pet one for years when we were selling them. Your gas lines prob will give out if they haven't already been replaced and i can talk you thru that. I have been watching some on ebay too but i need a job first besides fixing old chainsaws LOL...Bob

Echo is a good brand. I bought one(750) last week that had been sitting for a long time in an outbuilding, and I would have almost bet money that it would need alot to get it going. I primed the carb, put fresh fuel in the tank, and it cranked so easy and it ran so good it was scary. It's gonna be a keeper for me!

I was thinking about the unavailability of the unique fuel line last night and was wondering if there is anything preventative I could do to extend the life?

I know this sounds rather out of the ordinary, but I was thinking that rubbing a thin coat of vulcanizing rubber cement on the fuel line could fill/repair cracks and protect the surface therefore extending the life. It wouldn't be that pretty, but then again how often do you look at the fuel line? I think I might give it a try. What did you do to replace the line when it broke? Anything else I should watch out for with these saws?

I was thinking about the unavailability of the unique fuel line last night and was wondering if there is anything preventative I could do to extend the life?

Just make the lines from straight Tygon line. Its tricky but the fitted lines went bye bye a long time ago. Even if i could get a fitted line i would pass. And prevention isn't going to help with this new screwed up ethanol gas. If you drain the tank the line is going to shrink and get hard. And if you leave it in the gas its going to get hard anyway. Guess they are disposable at a few bucks each. I have line if you need some and a few secerets on how to hook them up on the big plastic Echo fittings...Bob

Back