TCI magazine hits new low

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys remember all the problems with cars back in the late 70's/ early 80's when the emissions laws forced changes?

I know some of you might not appreciate me chiming in here, but back in 1974 I was one of the first fully certified auto mechanics in the US, with a Master Mechanic license from Michigan and an Auto Emissions Installers license from California and I remember those cars well.

I also went to high school outside Detroit and I knew some of the engineers at the auto companies.

The problem was not so much that the gov'mint (read that the American people - remember Earth Day 1970?) was suddenly requiring cleaner engines, it was the ingrained stubborn conservatism of an auto industry which didn't want to make any really significant changes in an internal combustion engine that hadn't evolved much since the Duryea brothers sold the first car out of their garage in Springfield Massachusetts.

So instead of redesigning, they just added on a lot of garbage that made things worse. And the Japanese suddenly surged ahead in automotive technology.

There's no reason the chain saw industry, in this day and age, can't design a saw engine that's both powerful and clean. The more efficiently an engine uses its fuel the more power AND the less emissions get produced.

Since the best saws come from Germany and Sweden, I'll bet they'll manage just fine.

- Robert

It sucks that the only two tree mags out there don't add up to even ONE good one.

AA is a waste of good pulp, and TCI ain't all that far behind them. I DO spend more time perusing TCI...

But not much. :(

I don't dig the personal attacks but I must admit living vicariously through Rocky's rants... I just smile at most of his social commentary...

Anyhow I guess I acn live with the chainsaw standards.. hoping for the best...

BUT!!!!!!!! what about those SUVs... over half the passanger cars sold in the US are SUVs and they are exempt from meeting mileage requirements... So why pick on chain saws while the auto industry gets a pass??? What could be such a simple solution.. Democracy is such a struggle when the people are constantly at odds with the monied interests...

Good point, Murph.

It seems that all the saw gas used up in one day by every chainsaw in the US can't be much compared to the automobils, especially SUVs. (Not my hybrid)

I wonder why the gov't just doesn't require a few more small changes in the auto industry. That would make a change.

love
nick

TCI hits new low

MB I agree
I dropped the free sub to AA last year, haven't missed it at all. For some unknown reason I did send my renewal back in just a week ago for another year of TCI.
I went through it yesterday. Found absolutely nothing useful or of interest in this issue. Total waste of time on both our parts (mine and TCI's) Even the true story on the back page was (usually entertaining) dull and woefully poeticly challenged.
Funny, I just commented to the missus yesterday that it was the worst issue I've seen thus far. It seems I was not alone.
-Ralph

Originally posted by murphy4trees
Democracy is such a struggle when the people are constantly at odds with the monied interests...

Since when do we in the US live in a democracy?
Democracy is nothing more than mob rule
Our founding fathers set this up as a democratically elected REPUBLIC
Huge difference
Just an FYI
-Ralph

As far as the chain saw engines go...if the outboard motor industry can create a two cycle that beat the emmisions of a four cycle, why can't the chainsaw industry? I can't give concrete exs., but a friend who is up to date on marine motors passed me this tidbit. I found it interesting. One planet folks...don't whine when people are expected to better technology on behalf of environmental cleanliness. Why can boats run low emmisons, and not saws?

Why can boats run low emmisons, and not saws?

Why boats and not SUVs???

Why cahinsaws and not SUVs???

I heard LA eliminated the use of blowers years ago.... I hear you can live there for 6 months and never realize the valley is surrounded by mountains..

I'd prescribe too!

Dr. Ruminations prescription: two puffs off of Butch's rope and call me in the morning:D

how about this.
How about one of us write a tailgate safety once a week/month and let everyone else copy it for use in their companies? have someone make a list of members and the due date, any subject thats on their mind? They would even count as credits for ISA CA.
Theres a lot to learn from a lot of people here.
-Ralph

Thats cool, but I say lets start our OWN mag.

:eek:

Tommy D's got the bucks to start it!;)

But your idea is grand, lets put it in our mag!

Originally posted by dbeck
As far as the chain saw engines go...if the outboard motor industry can create a two cycle that beat the emmisions of a four cycle, why can't the chainsaw industry?

Speaking of boats, four stroke outboard motors rock! Torquey, quiet, easy starting, the best of all worlds.
These would not have come about if it weren't for the EPA's misguided attemt at cleaning up the environment.
Stihl's new hybrid 4-mix motor would never even have been thought up without the push from the gobment. We know it works great in some applications, will it make it to more chainsaws? Who knows. Might turn out to be the saw motor of the future.
Redimax has the motor that squirts air inbetween the strokes. Maybe that'll be the winner. A lot lees unburned fuel goes out the exaust.
Husky's idea is to lean out the low end, but stay with conventional 2 stroke. That might work.
Whoever wins, less unburned gas will go into the air and that's what we all want.

I had a long talk witht the technical editor of TCI mag last week... Very nice guy and plenty of credentials... but now he sits behind a desk all day and never gets into the field to check out the stuff that is or should be in his magazine... Its a catch 22.. those that do the work don't teach (or write) and those that teach and write don't do the work... Leaving our indusrty with a big gap in education...

I was actually think ing of offering to put a group of AS memebers together to act as an editorial staff in reviewing and commenting on articles for TCI... Putting more heads together will always produce a superior end product than doing the lone ranger thing..

Take that article on splicing... it would take about 2 hours of a new thread to come up with a dozen great points that would have made a big difference to that article..

Begley,
I like the idea. I'm in the process of typing up tommorrows safety meeting adendum right now. What fun, I get nominated to host safety and training sessions every Wed. morning from now until eternity...:D Begley you should be in charge of getting this idea operational.. And, Master Blaster, you're in charge of getting the funding for ArboristSite Monthly.

Yes, I am going to stock up on saws, had I known how things would develop I would have started sooner. I'm all for a perfect world, strange though, all of these social, environmental betters havent felt the impact of the changes as much as well probably most of us on this site. I,ve spent the last 19 years working in Fire, Fishing, and Forestry both urban and rural. I say to heck with that leave the saws alone jeeze there isnt as many going as there used to be I beleive I will live to see the dissapearance of the faller. Really difficult to beleive that my saws compete with 20,000 Seirra clubbers cruising across the bridge each day just pumpin that fuel thru their SUV's whatsay we outlaw those jet engines on commercial aircraft. I know its those dirty chainsaws and those blue collar folk that need to change. See ya in the Hamptons fellas.

tailgates

junky, I'd be happy to get it started, but I wonder how many would participate?Should I start another topic to see?
-Ralph

PS a mag wouldn't cost much if anything is it was distributed electronically, like an e-mag

Originally posted by murphy4trees
Take that article on splicing... it would take about 2 hours of a new thread to come up with a dozen great points that would have made a big difference to that article..

Don't get me started on that article.....it's bed time.

love
nick

I guess Rocky put me on his server's "ignore" list :) so...

In his original post Brian wrote:

Do you guys remember all the problems with cars back in the late 70's/ early 80's when the emissions laws forced changes?

The laws were made by the government right? And the cars are made by Detroit right? The changes, as you say, were forced upon them so who's responsible for the problems? The laws or the manufacturers?

Do you know who's administration enacted the EPA?

Robert has made the best point of all along with the insights into outboards.

We can whine about all the forms of pollution or we can stock up on pre-emission saws if that is the solution we choose.

Tom

Latest posts

Back