TCI magazine hits new low

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Writer's comments

Hi All,
I wrote the story and have a few comments on your comments.

Rocky- I suppose I should thank you for generating interest in my story on this thread. I find it interesting that news worth talking about is often that which people find something negative to comment on. You seem to have made up your mind before reading the article. For instance, I clearly stated the manufacturers felt they would get a clean burning saw with the same power in a year or two. In the meantime we could use our present saws. It won't be 10 years. I'm trying not to get personal, but you complain constantly and attack others, which as you know is against thread rules. You seem unhappy. Perhaps, you should spend some time on a couch talking to someone with a soothing voice.

Nick- We're on the same page, though I won't sign off with, "love".

RBtree- You state that some things are not so accurate. I read it again. Nothing is incorrect. I quoted people, and all my facts came from interviews or from studies performed, of which I've kept detailed notes.

Explaining what happens in the Redmax engine was difficult to put in a few sentences. Anything longer and I was affraid people would pass out from boredom. The picture doesn't do it for me either. I'll try to explain again.

Presently, when exaust blows out some fuel fumes from unburnt gas is mixed in. The strato engine sucks in clean air just as gas comes into the chamber. This clean air is between the fuel coming in and the exaust going out. The clean air prevents most of the fuel and exaust from coming into contact with each other. The clean air mixes with the exaust and blows out. The exaust is cleaner because it has mixed with the clean air pulled into the chamber and not with the raw fuel.

Rich- It won't be 10-15 years. You can stock up on more saws now if you want. I'm sure the manufacturers would love a mid-season spike in sales.

Guy- I'm on the same page.

Final thought. Cars are better now than they were 30 years ago and they'll be better 30 years from now. If we're alive 30 years from now, I hope we don't look bad on these days and say how bad it was, because I think things are great. If you want to buy some saws this year, go ahead, but I wouldn't panic. The competition amoung manufacturers is fierce. They know if they get it wrong and someone else gets it right, people will jump ship. They have to get it right the first time.

I want to keep this in perspective. It's not world peace we're talking about. It's a beautiful day here in Vermont. I'm going to enjoy it.
Michael

Judgments

Originally posted by Mike Maas
As far as TCI articles, I'd say it was on par, useless as most.
Just read my TCI (mail is not the only slow thing in NC:rolleyes: ).

The fert article showed that managing the belowground part of the tree is not only important, it can make $$$ for those who learn it.

THe EAB article showed that massacring the patient is still the most popular cure. Poisoning with Merit was a distant second. Biologicals got little mention, entomophagous fungus (the real hope imvho) got no mention at all.
Discouraging but important to know for when that green bug visits your neighborhood. None of this is big news for the removal-oriented crowd, but for arborists, very.

In other articles, lots of different takes on sales, marketing, dealing with Hispanic workers, pricing and business valuation.

I reprinted the plumbing article on drilling and am sending it to the local plumbing companies as well as developers I've worked for and some I haven't (yet). Sure if you look at it one way it's a baldfaced plug for the Roto-Rooter company, but it does show the others that the bar has been raised and those who trench without thinking are in for consequences. Next appraisal I do of a tree killed by trenching will refer to this article. The contractor will be more likely to pay big $$$:laugh:, and be more careful the next time.

So Mike, which of these did you find useless, and exactly why??:confused:

PS Glad the author confronted the critics directly and told it as he saw it. Gee, I wonder where the critics are now?:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back