Thanks for all the advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinglerM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well,
I finally got on with it. My Stihl MS660 w/ 32" bar and full skip chain, MS440 w/ 25" bar and full skip chain will be here tomorrow!:rock:
I guess I might as well call it the "Fishhuntcutwood starter kit":cheers:
I've read a lot of threads here, researching and narrowing down my options.
I got alot of guideance via email(Thanks Jeff) and on the phone(Thanks to Washingtonhotsaws):bowdown:
I got more responses that I ever thought I'd receive to my numerous posts. I really appreciate everyones time in bothering to answer them.
I chose Stihl over Husqvarna, mainly due to their being more Stihl dealers (4 within 30 minutes drive time), all of them had alot of saws, bars,chains, ect. in stock. I found one that I really liked, in particular. Around here there's only one Husqvarna dealer, not counting Lowe's. The one Husqvarna dealer seems to mostly concentrate on lawnmowers, trimmers, generators and snowblowers in the winter. They don't have many chainsaws in stock.
based on the advice of alot of people here, dealer support is a factor. It ended up being a point of consideration for me also.
I wanted 2 pro saws, one that would handle a 28"-32" bar. I read alot of the threads here and notice that many here felt that if you were going to consistently run a 28"+ bar then the 660 was worth considering. I was originally looking into a 460.
The other saw I wanted to have a 24" bar. So I really looked alot into the 440 vs 441. Weight wasn't a factor for me in making a decision. I won't be walking around the woods all day cutting alot of stuff, I'm stumpgrinding. The 441 would have been my choice, I have read too many good things about it. But it came down to going with the tried and true 440 over the new 441. I didn't want to buy into the first generation technology (for any product category). If not for my concern on that, I would've definately went with the 441.
I was originally going to go with the MS361, but after reading and also talking to Dean at Washington hot saws, I decided that for leveling stumps around where I live, a 24" bar would get used more than a 20" bar(what I would've set the 361 up with)
At first I was worried about what brand of saw(s) to get, then what size(s) to get.
But after all of my reading here. It really became a matter of deciding what size bars I wanted to run, then buying a power head to match up to it.
The idea of want a bigger bar...then get a bigger power head, makes sense to me.
So 24" meant a 440, and a 32" meant a 660. For me at least. I know that both of these saws can handle bigger bars, but I wanted to sort of be in the middle of the size range for each saw.
They'll be here tomorrow, I can't wait:hmm3grin2orange:
I hope my summary of how I decided on these 2 saws helps someone else in their decision.
I bought a pair of 9-layer chaps, as well as the combo helmet/face shield/ear protectors. I've read all of the safety related threads I could find also.
Next it's dual port covers.
Thanks for everyones help. This is a very cool site, I'm glad to be a part of it.
Oh, I had to get full wrap. It just seemed right after checking them out.
See ya around.:cheers:

Mitch

Last edited:
You DA man!!!

I can already hear you calling the 440 your 'trim' saw... you'll be deadheading mums at the homes of elderly women w/ it! Ha, Ha! :greenchainsaw:

Happy day for you tomorrow! :cheers:

Chaser

cool, I know how you feel. I still remeber the day that my 365 was my "big" saw. lol.

Don't cut all the trees down in Utah.

BTW, you don't have any mustang cop car pictures from the Utah highway patrol do you?

I am restoring a 1986 mustang SSP (special service package) Utah Highway patrol car. I found paperwork in the car that says it is one of 38 optioned the same. No on has confirmed total numbers for 1986 cars. I have been trying to find more information on the matter, but seems no one knows much about them.

Hi Freak.

Freakingstang said:
cool, I know how you feel. I still remeber the day that my 365 was my "big" saw. lol.

BTW, you don't have any mustang cop car pictures from the Utah highway patrol do you?

Sorry,
I don't have any pictures. That'll be a cool restoration project, I used to have a '67 Mustang. I really miss that car.

It's gonna be a long day, waiting for my saws to come in.

Later,
Mitch

Congrats to fellow Utah man. I'm out in the Uintah Basin trying to cut as many tress as I can before the snow flies. Right now, I just wish it would quit raining. Looks like you're pretty well set for a long time with those two saws.

Utah

litefoot said:
Congrats to fellow Utah man. I'm out in the Uintah Basin trying to cut as many tress as I can before the snow flies. Right now, I just wish it would quit raining. Looks like you're pretty well set for a long time with those two saws.

Hi Litefoot,

I'm along the Wasatch front. I'll be in Florida for a few months coming soon, I'll be taking the stumpgrinder with me down there. I should be pretty busy there as well.
I just got back from the Stihl dealer, got both saws in my trailer now. :)
No kidding about the rain. I'm ready for some snow....gotta ski!

Later,
Mitch

Dude you got a Sthil......

It's cool I'll still keep talking to you.
I like the thought process you went through in picking the right saw.
What kind of stump grinder do you own?

Hey Manual.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for still talking to me.:cheers: There might be a person or two here that wouldn't talk to me for buying a Stihl. Oh wait, that guy got the boot.:biggrinbounce2:
Researching saws here really helped in determining what I needed. I got schooled on ArboristSite.:buttkick: :laugh:
I just got a Carlton SP4012 stumpgrinder with dura-disk cutting wheel.

Later Manual.

Mitch

You'll definately be talking, Manual.

I've been browzing "the Prince" thread, Manual. I see that you're close to letting Thall talk you into a Stihl.;)
Thall's a sly one.:laugh:

Later,
Mitch

3 saw package.

Here's what I ultimately ended up getting. (I just added another saw.)

50cc saw w/ 18" bar(Dolmar 5100S)
70cc saw w/ 25" bar(Stihl MS440)
90cc saw w/ 32" bar(Stihl MS660)

The 50-70-90cc sizes seem like a good spread in power.
The 18"-25"-32" bar lengths seemed like a good range also.

I'm using 3/8" .050 chain on all of them.
Full skip on the 25" and 32" bar. Full complement on the 18".

From all of the reading and asking questions I've done here, the Dolmar seemed to be the best 50cc saw. The MS660 also seems to viewed as the best of the big saws. The 70cc size was a toss up to me between the Husqvarna 372XP (no longer widely available), the 575XP (wasn't interested), the Stihl MS440, 441 and the MS460. So I went with the MS440 (old reliable).
So, there you have it. :chainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks again.
Mitch

Thanks Belgian.

I gave a lot of thought to the 440 or 441. I went with the 440 mainly because of it having been around for so long, and I read alot of good stuff about it. I think the 441 is probably the better saw.
Thank you.:cheers:
I used to live in Trier, Germany. I worked in Luxemburg City for awhile. I really loved it there.

Later,
Mitch

SinglerM said:
Thank you.:cheers:
I used to live in Trier, Germany. I worked in Luxemburg City for awhile. I really loved it there.

Later,
Mitch

Wow, that's only 1 hour from my place. You must know than the famous "Bitte ein Bit" car sticker ;)

Bitte ein bitte

Yes I do.
Or Bitte ein bit, rather.

My wife was stationed at Bitburg Air Base. I took a tour of the Bitburg brewery once.
It was the best place I've ever lived, I miss it.

Take care,
Mitch

Freakingstang said:

That could be a problem! With a new guy and two big saws crying to be used, well, there just aren't that many trees in Sandy! :D

Good post, Singler. Makes sense. Where are your Stihl dealers?

Latest posts

Back