Thanks to the millers on AS,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thanks to you guys for putting so much good information on the site, it made it easy to get into CSMing logs, and gave me the confidence to take the show on the road as it were.

Here's a 1min clip of a demo I did at DADSTOCK, a GTG for stay-at-home-dads, following the milling of the log, was an hour of sharpening how-to's, and saw care for the dad's that asked for that info. It made me realize just how much I've learned from the members on the site, and the difference between shiny cutters and sharp cutters.

Even brought out some of the neighbors and after I was done milling the log into four boards, he brought over his c-saw and I earned few bucks sharpening his chains and giving the saw a lookover, again, all thanks to the members here.

I should have put a V-block to hold the log steadier,but it was working out well, I'll have a better setup for next time.

The vid took about 10min to load for me on my dial-up connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Gr5LdCJ_o

Here's some pics.
Disclaimer: All chainsaw use occurred prior to enjoyment of good home brew.

DADSTOCK078.jpg

DADSTOCK077.jpg

DADSTOCK074.jpg

DADSTOCK073.jpg

That was at another sahd's house, his wife may have had him shop-vac the lawn the next day. It was a demonstration/event besides the usual BBQ/yard games/beer/comraderie that occurs at a gtg. There were 4 guys that wanted to learn how to hand-file chains, so the boards from the log became the workbench surface. One dad took a slab to mount some ducks onto.

Great shots, looks like a real fun day.

Just one question and a comment.
Q: Do you always cut your slabs on such high supports, those saw horses look 6 - 12" too high to me.

Obs: Our city council would probably get very upset with someone using a chainsaw on a public footpath unless they had some sort of a permit.

Last edited:
Great shots, looks like a real fun day.

Just one question and a comment.
Q: Do you always cut your slabs on such high supports, those saw horses look 6 - 12" too high to me.

Obs: Our city council would probably get very upset with someone using a chainsaw on a public footpath unless they had some sort of a permit.

It was a fun day.

1-- They were handy, and worked for what I needed to do. All of my previous pics show 6"-12" blocks under the logs, but then they are 20"-30"+ diameter.

Last edited:
It was a fun day.

1-- Most logs that are worth milling for lumber would crush those saw horses, it was just a quick demo, and for an 11" dia x48" (70#)log, it worked out fine.
Kind of like " show and tell", less than an hour for the whole thing.

2-- wow.

wdchuck What were you thinking....Look's very residential.....
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Good job ...

The barefoot guy came down, his kid was napping, but he wasn't too worried, he's the one who wanted me check out his saw/chains, made a few bucks.

It also happened to be lawn service day, plenty of commercial outfits running their equipment.

Actually for the beautiful day, and the number of homes we hardly saw a soul outside in that neighborhood.

The barefoot guy came down, his kid was napping, but he wasn't too worried, he's the one who wanted me check out his saw/chains, made a few bucks.

It also happened to be lawn service day, plenty of commercial outfits running their equipment.

Actually for the beautiful day, and the number of homes we hardly saw a soul outside in that neighborhood.

Good Job....:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You speak of things I do not understand. Sharpening someone else’s chain? Shopvacing saw dust off a lawn? Lawn service day??? Just picking – good job

When I took down a cherry tree for a friend in May, he used his leaf blower turned leaf vac to clean up all the piles of dust I left him with.

We all won in the end.

Mark

I'll be doing more milling over Labor Day weekend, 24" maple, 28" oak, I'll be trying the 'cut for scale' approach, rotating the log with each cut.

good show... I've milled in residential areas like that. usually nobody complains as long as you're not doing it every day. And yes neighbors come up to you and start asking chainsaw questions... and before you know it you have an interested crowd.

Thats awesome!!!

I wish I could get up here and post more often. But everytime I do, Im one step closer to going back to the saw shop. Right now thats not a good idea.

good show... I've milled in residential areas like that. usually nobody complains as long as you're not doing it every day. And yes neighbors come up to you and start asking chainsaw questions... and before you know it you have an interested crowd.

Yeah, last couple of times. Didn't have anyone come up, but had the neighbors stop and watch over the fence. The last time, the old man griped a little bit, but we were almost done, then got excited about the boards. The lady on the other side stopped doing yardwork and watched for a while.

Mark

Neighbors

I have had the same experience. I notice neighbors watching from afar. I am worried about the noise, so keep my head down and the sawmill moving, hoping to get to a good stopping point as they come closer. When I finally stop and speak to them, find out they do not want me to stop, they just want to stand there with fingers in their ears and watch, then finger my boards!! I do limit my milling to normal work hours to limit potential noise complaints.

Latest posts

Back