the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell us a bit about yourself mate. You're one of those arborist folk it would seem?
I'll stick to ground level although I'm seriously looking at one of these at the moment - not cheap though :(

Genie - TZ?-50

Genie TZ50 Road Towable Access Platform - Demonstration Video - YouTube

Yeah mate 100% tree climber blood in me.

Ive actually used this kind of setup a few years ago although not nearly advanced, i like how you can drive from the platform, would make it a breeze for tight access. too bad that particular model only reaches 50'.

Pretty penny i'd bet.

Matt you really do have expensive taste :)

I'm looking at the cheaper option : HAYAUCHI 390 21-Feet : Silky Saws

I was running a 12m Nifty in the Adelaide Hills the other week from Kennards Hire. Very very handy little unit. Those Silkys are nice but try trimming trees above your head all day Wayne :D Your neck will lock up and you'll get a sunburnt face :D

Yeah mate 100% tree climber blood in me.

Ive actually used this kind of setup a few years ago although not nearly advanced, i like how you can drive from the platform, would make it a breeze for tight access. too bad that particular model only reaches 50'.

Pretty penny i'd bet.

Yeah the self drive option adds about $6k but it's bloody hard going pushing 2.2 tonne around without it. The 1.6 tonne Nifty I hired was a bit*h to move and any little lumps or bumps stopped it dead. I'd like more height but then the price goes ballistic and they get too heavy for a standard ute's towing capacity plus you'll need electric brakes - I can also add about 6m with my height and HT131 pole saw. Just north of $60k for a unit like this and I am very very tempted. There would be no issue paying it off in this area even with just weekend work.
I priced a similar spec Nifty and it was around $10k dearer and diesel only. This one is battery and petrol.

Last edited:
I was running a 12m Nifty in the Adelaide Hills the other week from Kennards Hire. Very very handy little unit. Those Silkys are nice but try trimming trees above your head all day Wayne :D Your neck will lock up and you'll get a sunburnt face :D

Yeah the self drive option adds about $6k but it's bloody hard going pushing 2.2 tonne around without it. The 1.6 tonne Nifty I hired was a bit*h to move and any little lumps or bumps stopped it dead. I'd like more height but then the price goes ballistic and they get too heavy for a standard ute's towing capacity plus you'll need electric brakes - I can also add about 6m with my height and HT131 pole saw. Just north of $60k for a unit like this and I am very very tempted. There would be no issue paying it off in this area even with just weekend work.
I priced a similar spec Nifty and it was around $10k dearer and diesel only. This one is battery and petrol.

hey matt i like it but that foot print looks small from up the top haha

I don't intend to use it all day, just for occasional use :msp_smile:

Yeah I've considered those but unfortunately they just won't fit into most back yards. Two other tree companies in the area have trucks like these and they simply can't get into tight spots. One other guy has a trailer type boom but only 6m or something like that.
We're not exactly inundated with tree experts here either so not hard to get work. There are a few hillbillys around.

Nahh Matt, all you need is one of those really long extendable ladders :msp_wink: I was just doing some major climbing work with a ladder the other day - no need for those fancy spike boots and ropes and stuff.

Oh and just one word of advice - try not to hit the ladder with the branches you just cut or you'll be in for a butt clenching ride :msp_scared:

Nahh Matt, all you need is one of those really long extendable ladders :msp_wink: I was just doing some major climbing work with a ladder the other day - no need for those fancy spike boots and ropes and stuff.

Oh and just one word of advice - try not to hit the ladder with the branches you just cut or you'll be in for a butt clenching ride :msp_scared:

Already got one Rudy. 11m Baileys tree ladder. It takes 3 men and a donkey to lug the bastard around. Wanna buy it?

Already got one Rudy. 11m Baileys tree ladder. It takes 3 men and a donkey to lug the bastard around. Wanna buy it?

Yeah no worries! two ladders in a tree must be better than one right... I think they call it a safety factor of 2 or something :monkey:

BTW those genie lifts are they way to go for sure, if I were doing more tree work I would definitely consider something like that.

Yeah no worries! two ladders in a tree must be better than one right... I think they call it a safety factor of 2 or something :monkey:

BTW those genie lifts are they way to go for sure, if I were doing more tree work I would definitely consider something like that.

You can tie the two together and get 60' :)

I'm getting asked to do more and more domestic jobs so have to weigh up a few options before pulling the trigger. May have to go back to 4 days a week with my main job :)

Yeah I've considered those but unfortunately they just won't fit into most back yards. Two other tree companies in the area have trucks like these and they simply can't get into tight spots. One other guy has a trailer type boom but only 6m or something like that.
We're not exactly inundated with tree experts here either so not hard to get work. There are a few hillbillys around.
yeah in some cases when theres no side access. but there width is not much of a factor, there not much wider than your average large 4wd, (road worthy limit is 2.5M wide). Its only there lenght thats a factor for maneuvering .....if theres a common driveway width going into the back yard, you should squeeze in ...thats how they do it in built up areas around here in the towns anyway, If the access is very narrow, id hate to be backing one of them tow jellopys down the ally...

yeah in some cases when theres no side access. but there width is not much of a factor, there not much wider than your average large 4wd, (road worthy limit is 2.5M wide). Its only there lenght thats a factor for maneuvering .....if theres a common driveway width going into the back yard, you should squeeze in ...thats how they do it in built up areas around here in the towns anyway, If the access is very narrow, id hate to be backing one of them tow jellopys down the ally...

Actually the tow behind ones are pretty easy to manouver but the self drive ones turn on a dime.
I got this tow behind Nifty into a near impossible spot the other week. If it wasn't for low range 4WD I wouldn't have even got up this guy's driveway. It was a very tight fit...

2012-09-29115403.jpg

The little trucks are certainly a good idea and the link you posted had some pretty cheap options but 50% of the domestic jobs I've been asked to look at in our area I'd have no hope with a truck getting in there. These are the jobs that the other guys can't do with the equipment they have.

Actually the tow behind ones are pretty easy to manouver but the self drive ones turn on a dime.
I got this tow behind Nifty into a near impossible spot the other week. If it wasn't for low range 4WD I wouldn't have even got up this guy's driveway. It was a very tight fit...

2012-09-29115403.jpg

The little trucks are certainly a good idea and the link you posted had some pretty cheap options but 50% of the domestic jobs I've been asked to look at in our area I'd have no hope with a truck getting in there. These are the jobs that the other guys can't do with the equipment they have.
yeah righto, if your got the cash to splash on'em then why not, just don't eat to many snags & beers or you'll have to add some more ballast .lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back