the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
u2yba2yz.jpg

uhynu6e2.jpg

Me, my sister and the old man at the parade in Adelaide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all the hunters here...Whats the best bang for buck in spotlights these days? I have a couple of old Powerbeams from twenty years ago...time for something better i reckon.
Cheers Dave

To all the hunters here...Whats the best bang for buck in spotlights these days? I have a couple of old Powerbeams from twenty years ago...time for something better i reckon.
Cheers Dave

I'll be honest mate but there isn't anything better on the market than the newer Powabeam. I've currently got a HID SL240 Lightforce "Custom Shop" and I'll never buy another Lightforce POS again. It throws an awesome spot but the design of these things is just mass produced injection moulded nastiness. The peanuts just decided to hang the ballast box of the base of a standard SL240 light so the bloody cord came straight out into the palm of your hand. I ended up pulling it apart and redrilling a hole lower for the cord to exit. Might have been OK for somebody with midget hands I suppose.
Mate in Tassie bought a Powabeam HID and reckons it craps all over the Lightforces. He got it for the same price I bought my Lightforce for as well.
u2yba2yz.jpg

uhynu6e2.jpg

I gather they're your grandfather's medals Benny or doesn't your old man march? Are you struggling to hold the flag up or snapping a fart off? :)

Yeh they're the pop's medals. The old mans on the other side the banner :) had a marshal come up asking if they wanted the cadets to hold the banner which the response from the old man was along the lines of 'while my back side still faces the ground I'll be holding the banner' I've marched with him since I was 12 usually on his side holding the support rope but got landed the top job out the front with dad today. It was a bit windy today actually but no just happy to be out representing my pop and proud of the old man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh they're the pop's medals. The old mans on the other side the banner :) had a marshal come up asking if they wanted the cadets to hold the banner which the response from the old man was along the lines of 'while my back side still faces the ground I'll be holding the banner' I've marched with him since I was 12 usually on his side holding the support rope but got landed the top job out the front with dad today. It was a bit windy today actually but no just happy to be out representing my pop and proud of the old man

As you should be mate :)

I'll be honest mate but there isn't anything better on the market than the newer Powabeam. I've currently got a HID SL240 Lightforce "Custom Shop" and I'll never buy another Lightforce POS again. It throws an awesome spot but the design of these things is just mass produced injection moulded nastiness. The peanuts just decided to hang the ballast box of the base of a standard SL240 light so the bloody cord came straight out into the palm of your hand. I ended up pulling it apart and redrilling a hole lower for the cord to exit. Might have been OK for somebody with midget hands I suppose.
Mate in Tassie bought a Powabeam HID and reckons it craps all over the Lightforces. He got it for the same price I bought my Lightforce for as well.

Thanks mate,couldnt be bothered doing any research.
Amate of mine has a Lightforce from pre HID days (around 15 year old at a guess) and it has never impressed me much.I actually find it to light to hold steady for some reason.

Got a complete washout here for Anzac Day pissed down till lunch time although some marched regardless I stayed home been there done that before and been crook so not this time watched the Sydney March on telly

Ask your old man why he's wearing the frontline service medal ..... it not an official medal and most have tossed them ..... he served that's sufficient

no worries mate, silly me for that incorrect way of wording...
no one guessed who came for a visit me this week,,,, it was he Dallas himself, genuine user of an 090, a real 90.

Dallas? How is that homie anyway?

He says it's a real 090 but we know it's just a rebadged MS170.

u2yba2yz.jpg

uhynu6e2.jpg

Lovely to see.

Personally, I've never marched with my father or ever worn his medals in which I have. He never marched to my knowledge (except maybe before my time) and I don't think I or my children have the right to wear what he earned as he was happy to just quietly remember.
That's just my thoughts and I have nothing against others doing so as many proud fathers would want their families to carry on the tradition.
I also have a large collection of his photos in which he made sure I knew the stories behind them to pass onto my lot, other than that my father never openly spoke of his part in WW2.

G'day what are you blokes useing to vac/pressure test with? I borrowed a miti vac but the gauge is a rather vague and I really should have my own so what's the scoop

G'day what are you blokes useing to vac/pressure test with? I borrowed a miti vac but the gauge is a rather vague and I really should have my own so what's the scoop

I bought a Stihl vac/pressure tester off of Benny. Not cheap but absolute German work of art. I never realised just how much I'd use it. Particularly for fuel lines. Stick a pair of hemostats through the tank filler and clamp off just above the filter, then pressurize the hose from the carby end. Very handy for those old blokes that drop saws in after having fuel sitting in them for 5 years.
May be a bit spendy for use on your own saws but if you like quality this is it.

The Mac one is only for positive pressure as we didn't need or use it for a Vac Test actually I have never done a vac test on anything just pump her to 5 lb's per sq inch no more and watch for a pressure drop should hold 5 lb's for at least 1 minute never overpressurise .... see the bulb on the end ..... I just fabricated block off plates as needed

Good morning Matty 2.
Vac gauges are not much use testing leaks mate, you need a simple pressure tester, most reputable repairers use them, mine is years old and is still a beauty. A little soap and water helps on seals too.
I know guys who make up a connection to their compressor (bad idea as that causes trouble) and just dribble a little air into the plug hole.
If you can't get hold of one sing out.

On a different subject,,, passed on a nice little hot saw to its owner on Saturday. Another sadisfied customer and another lovely old saw restored to full time racing.
No prises for what it is.
DSC00627 (640x589).jpg DSC00626 (640x433).jpg

Wayne (gmax) had a really good solution for testing crank seals with the top end off. Simply fill the crankcase full of petrol and check if any leaks out of the seals. Haven't tried it but Wayne swears it works well. He's rebuilt enough saws to know.
Some seals only leak under pressure or vac so ideally you need to be able to test both.

Nice saw Neil :)

On another note did you ever see that guy who pressure tested a Husky fuel tank with over 100psi? Very nasty - destroyed the tank (um, duh!!!) and cut his thighs open pretty bad. It didn't split but fragmented like a grenade. From memory it damaged his hearing too. I think it was a thread on this site about 5 years ago but can't remember.
I saw a guy do the same thing about 20 years ago with a polypropylene plastic bottle in a juice manufacturing plant. Stuck an air gun through the cap and gave it a blast while holding it between his legs. Tore the crap out of his thighs and sounded like a bomb went off. He didn't need hospital treatment but he was a very sore boy - he looked like he'd been repeatedly whipped with a cane. These bottles were only paper thin too so I'd hate to see a fuel tank go off under high pressure.

Latest posts

Back