the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure if you are looking for small or large mount LP bars. Stihl large mount Picco/LP bars are like hens teeth here. They are available in the UK and Germany, but not in the US. Stihl and Logosol used to sell them here for the 024, but no longer. There is a Picco bar/rim/chain kit in Germany for the 261 with a 16 or 18 inch LP bar, PS3 chain, and the P7 sprocket. They are raving about them on the German chainsaw forums. The secret is the narrow kerf. On all my small mount saws, I switched them all over to LP from .325 if they had them. They cut better/faster. I also have one 026 set up to run Picco.

Have you looked at the Cannon SuperMini bars? They are spendy... but they have Stihl & Husky large mount LP Cannon solid bars with replaceable nose sprockets. This one is a 20 inch on Baileys:

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...rmini-Bar-CSM-S1-20-50-3LM-72-Drive-Links.axd
I assumed he was after the small mount. We used to make all the bars for Logosol and still have a few floating around here but they are the medium Stihl mount. See attached photo of a 25" 3/8LP .050 Logosol bar. I also found an old ProTop 25" 3/8LP .050 but again this is the medium mount.

Attachments

• 38LP.JPG
    38LP.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 18
It can be done though. Neil (ausneil) has made things fit before. Mainly because he is built like a 100 tonne hydraulic press and can smash stuff down to size in a jiffy.

14 pound sledge can do wonders.
Gee Matt, you will have that mr mchuffandcoff telling you I am very short and frail but young, but thanks for the boost mate.

The issue isn't only the mount or the oiler holes but can also be the bar tail size.
Thats true about the tail width. Although this particular 25" 3/8LP .050 medium mount ProTop has almost the same tail width as the small mount. I have attached an image of how this could easily be converted to the small mount. Whether or not your saw will have enough power is another story.

Attachments

• Converting SN to SW.JPG
    Converting SN to SW.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 15
Thats true about the tail width. Although this particular 25" 3/8LP .050 medium mount ProTop has almost the same tail width as the small mount. I have attached an image of how this could easily be converted to the small mount. Whether or not your saw will have enough power is another story.
Thanks Michael. Much appreciated. 25" is unfortunately a bit too long for the intended uses of my 241, but can I ask of the collective knowledgebase that is the good buggers in this thread whether they consider my 7900 will overpower picco chain? I ask because I have a 24 or 25" .063 3/8 Tsumura that perhaps I could replace with this LP bar and picco chain. My concerns would actually be two fold. First, would it hold up as well as the Tsumura (which is a proven to me stellar bar), and secondly, if my 7900 will overpower the chain and it'll break too early or I'll be taking links out every second day.

What say you, saw sages?

No your 7900 will not overpower LP chain. I know I bring Neil up a lot (because he's a good bloke and knows what he's talking about - he didn't even pay me for this comment!) but he's run LP on race saws.
This is straining my brain but from memory LP has a breaking strain of around 3 tonne. Could be wrong but it was way higher than I thought.

At the risk of asking a rather loaded question, how will the ProTop last compared to my Tsumura and are there any spare 3/8LP noses available?

Well back in the early eighties I ran a piece of LP 3/8 on a SP125 and talk about stretch the xxxx out of a new chain LP3/8 doesn't have the strength threw the chain away after about 6 or 7 cuts in a fence post billet as regards being fast well not everyone wants to race

I know Neil and his little gang run .325 on their 3120's but did they ever supply that setup on a standard 3120 ...... don't think so

No your 7900 will not overpower LP chain. I know I bring Neil up a lot (because he's a good bloke and knows what he's talking about - he didn't even pay me for this comment!) but he's run LP on race saws.
This is straining my brain but from memory LP has a breaking strain of around 3 tonne. Could be wrong but it was way higher than I thought.

Come on Matt,everyone knows a 7900 wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding :D My bigblock,tripple overhead camed GTHO Phase Three 55 Husky is another story ;)

This guy on Ebay in town here cuts large mount Stihl bars down to LP size and sells them on small mount Stihl saws. He is somewhat of a jerk as he claims to be a "logger", but from his videos he is a joke. I went past his address a few years ago and it is just a house in the burbs. He calls them "hot saws" but they are unmodified with the exception that they have 3/8 bars cut down to fit the small mounts with Picco/LP loops on them. He also says that the roller sprockets can wear the chain early (they are 3/8 standard chain rollers). He also sells PS3 full chisel LP/Picco loops, which can be hard to get here (most dealers do not carry it). Here is a 250 'hot saw' that he is selling with a 25 inch bar on it. The oil pump output in a 250 (or any 1123 saw) will never oil a 25 inch bar. I doubt it would even oil a 20 inch. But he is very proud of it, and all of his "modified" saws.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILTZ-Stihl...929877780?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item540918df14

If/when this Ebay post expires, you can do a search for PILTZ, or TarzanZipLines, or KevlarGaffs (they go by several names). Anyway, this is just to show you that it can be done. If you look at his other saws for sale there, he has 362s and 261s with 28 inch 3/8 bars on them, using 3/8 LP chain and sprockets. Again, the oil pumps will not keep up with those bars on those saws :confused:. There are a lot of crazies out there. Or rather, up here. This guy does not live far enough away from me.

This guy on Ebay in town here cuts large mount Stihl bars down to LP size and sells them on small mount Stihl saws. He is somewhat of a jerk as he claims to be a "logger", but from his videos he is a joke. Anyway, he calls them "hot saws" but they are unmodified with the exception that they have 3/8 bars cut down to fit the small mounts. He also says that the roller sprockets can wear the chain early (they are 3/8 standard chain rollers). He also sells PS3 full chisel LP/Picco loops, which can be hard to get here (most dealers do not carry it). Here is a 250 'hot saw' that he is selling with a 25 inch bar on it. The oil pump output in a 250 (or any 1123 saw) will never oil a 25 inch bar. I doubt it would even oil a 20 inch. But he is very proud of it, and all of his "modified" saws.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILTZ-Stihl...929877780?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item540918df14

But anyway, that is just to show you that it can be done. If you look at his other saws for sale there, he has 362s and 261s with 28 inch 3/8 bars on them, using 3/8 LP chain and sprockets. Again, the oil pumps will not keep up with those bars on those saws :confused:. There are a lot of crazies out there. Or rather, up here. This guy does not live far enough away from me.

Yeah I've seen him before. He's a wally without a doubt. Not sure but from memory he's running LP on a standard 3/8" nose which chews the chain out in no time flat.

You bloody trying to get me into this discussion on LP chain,,,,,,,, I hate getting involved in chain discussions :)

After tea I will put 20 cents in.

You bloody trying to get me into this discussion on LP chain,,,,,,,, I hate getting involved in chain discussions :)

After tea I will put 20 cents in.

Yep. I drag you into everything. You're my "go to" chain guy outside of my Chinese sweatshop hand filing race chain factory.

Thanks Michael. Much appreciated. 25" is unfortunately a bit too long for the intended uses of my 241, but can I ask of the collective knowledgebase that is the good buggers in this thread whether they consider my 7900 will overpower picco chain? I ask because I have a 24 or 25" .063 3/8 Tsumura that perhaps I could replace with this LP bar and picco chain. My concerns would actually be two fold. First, would it hold up as well as the Tsumura (which is a proven to me stellar bar), and secondly, if my 7900 will overpower the chain and it'll break too early or I'll be taking links out every second day.

What say you, saw sages?

Hello,,,,
I am not going into what bar is best or who makes the best bars.
1st question I have for you is whats your intended use and timber type for which you intend to run your 7900, eg is it green pine, dry pine, native hard wood ect.
I cannot answer a useful answer regarding pine (green or dry) as I work in Australian native hardwoods (coastal).
In native hardwood, some timber species, your choice of chain is quite ok as long as you don't expect to run a long bar. Other species which have thick fibrous bark, that chain is totally useless unless you ringbark every tree. The reason LP chain is useless in this application is the narrow kerf, small gullet and tiny exit behind the tooth, in short the bark 1stly jams behind the chain on the bar, then clogs the little cutter solid as it cannot eject the chip out the rear of the tooth stalling the forward cutting motion. To get through thick bark, the chain needs a wider kerf, eg 063 gauge which allows the bar to not jam and the larger tooth can eject the chip / bark out the back thus maintaining forward cutting.
The worst (coastal native hardwoods) thick barked species sold every day for saw logs are Black butt, turp, red and white mahogany, most stringy bark species and tallow wood.
Tallow wood is one of the easier ones as its bark seems to not hinder the chain as much.

Adding to what Matt said about me running LP in racing, 1stly the racing arena has sized blocks (fresh usually) with no large knots ect and no bark. 2ndly, I only use 3/8Lp in 2 events, U100cc modified disc stacking (no bore cut and blocks 10'' to 12'') and U100cc post rip (sometimes depending on the timber species) the chain will stand crosscutting with modified U100cc saws (eg 395's or 066's) but is too slow in the bore to be competitive, again that small tooth working against itself.
I have successfully run 3/8LP on modified 3120's in training but its too unreliable and weak for that much power.

I guess I'm saying general saw usage and racing cannot be compared as the differences are many, as well as the skill factor between competitors who train on certain disciplines in different events a lot.
Cutting dry timber for fire wood, that's a hard job on man and his saw, they earn every cent they make cutting fire wood.

From a thread on 3/8lp on a ms 250 I commented on
The MS 241 C-M comes out over here with a 16" 3/8lp bar and 63PS3 chain on it standard. I have changed out the 6 tooth spur to the 7 tooth rim kit as soon as I bought it. I love it with 3/8lp I tried it first with an old bar as I was going to put .325 on it but I never ended up changing it. 63ps3 is 3616 full chisel picco with the bumper build into the drive link. 63ps is 3617 which is full chisel picco with no bumper. I have only ran the 63ps3 and haven't had any problems with it at all. My 16 is a 55 link chain and fits fine with the 7 tooth sprocket. The Stihl bar and chain catalogue does list that if it is being ran with a 7 tooth sprocket and the QCT and extra link is required 51, 56, 62 - 14, 16, 18". I have a mate who uses one of these for felling and prefers the .325 because it offers better feel when feeling small trees cut as it isn't as smooth as running it with 3/8lp but for general cutting limbing etc he's pretty impressed with the speed of the 3/8lp

Latest posts

Back