The Best Wood Hauler/Fishing/Knock-Around Truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbo,

Thanks for sharing that info. just got contacted by a guy who has a 97 Ford Lariat 3 Dr, auto, 2wd 4.6V8 with 128K...books & records...and pretty dang clean...says the only thing is he can't get the "check engine light" to go says the code reads something about a vapor sensor leak or something...
He wants about $3800 for it...says he inherited it from his Mother.

Hmm...Yet there's a 97 Chevy Silverado loaded with tonneau cover, leather,aut,o 2wd 3 dr 350.5.7 V8...with 144K. This fairy wants $3,800 wants fer it!!!....decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the feedback...btw...which would you go for? The Chevy I would eventually have to remove the pretty ground effects for the real "Man-Beast" task!!:msp_unsure:
Last, but not least is the wildcard of the bunch: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 2WD Automatic. EXT cabm auto, Appx 95,000 on a rebuilt motor. 222K on whole truck, AC/ Heat works great. Has appx 2000 miles on tires and are in great shape. Sunroof. Has new water pump, radiator, timing belt and front left inner tie rod end. Transmission fluid changed, tune up and fresh oil change. Paint is fading on the hood and roof , has a few dents and driver seat is torn...$4000.00!!!!:dunno:

Tired as $#@$^^**(^
I'm...out

REG

Reggie, if that toyota is a 3.0 liter v6 run fast and far. POS!

lol your probably the same guy who #####es about the economy as you buy Toyotas, save it pal

I would #@%$& about the economy if my faith rested in the economy, but it does not! It rest in Christ. I buy what I want based on performance and how it will best serve me and my family, not on idiotic sentiment...pal!

Re reading toy description, not so hot. I can't speak for chevy/gmc or dodge haven't had any of those since the late 80's On the Ford trany is a question, according to the shop up here if it is the smallest auto, it usually needs attention internally at 100k or so. I know my bands were going south at 120k ( shifting was getting a bit sluggish), when I went to change fluid it was black, bearing in tail shaft froze. That bearing is only splash lubed. It was grinding its way out of the case.

Re reading toy description, not so hot. I can't speak for chevy/gmc or dodge haven't had any of those since the late 80's On the Ford trany is a question, according to the shop up here if it is the smallest auto, it usually needs attention internally at 100k or so. I know my bands were going south at 120k ( shifting was getting a bit sluggish), when I went to change fluid it was black, bearing in tail shaft froze. That bearing is only splash lubed. It was grinding its way out of the case.

Thanks for that...I will definitely factor it in.

Here's where I'll get chastised, but don't overlook the 6.5 turbo diesel that was available in 90's 1/2 tons. They got a bad rap due to no dealer support, but not a bad old engine.

Dealer support for what, replacing all the broken crankshafts?! I have drove a few GM 1500s with the 6.5 TD, too bad they didn't hold up, that was a neat combo...

Interesting site zogger!

Last, but not least is the wildcard of the bunch: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 2WD Automatic. EXT cabm auto, Appx 95,000 on a rebuilt motor. 222K on whole truck, AC/ Heat works great. Has appx 2000 miles on tires and are in great shape. Sunroof. Has new water pump, radiator, timing belt and front left inner tie rod end. Transmission fluid changed, tune up and fresh oil change. Paint is fading on the hood and roof , has a few dents and driver seat is torn...$4000.00!!!!

REG

Another thing to watch out for is 100k mile vehicles that have just had the auto tranny fluid changed. If it has had regular fluid changes then fine, but if the first fluid change is at higher miles, then that's like lighting a fuse of unknown length on a bomb, just a matter of time.
What happens is, the higher mileage tranny is a little sludged up inside from improper maintenance, then, you put fresh ATF in it, which has a high detergent content, it washes all that crud loose and...WAHLAH! You gets a freshly rebuilt tranny after a $1-2k bill from the tranny shop!

As long as the maintenance books look good, I would go with the Ford. I have an 06 E350 5.4 183,000 and a 2001 F250 6.8 210,000. Both run like new and the 06 tranny works as well today as when I got it with 25K, but I change the fluid and filter every 50,000. Pickup had a tranny before I picked it up, guessing because of the large trailer he pulled with it. Records mean alot and give you a better idea of how it was taken care of.

Brenndatomu, yeah there were broken cranks, usually at low miles from all I have heard about. Anything out there now with a 6.5 should be past that. But, thanks for keeping the bad rap on them, call me if you see one for sale, one of us may be down to buy it cheap.:msp_thumbsup:

I dig my 6.5td dually that has 220k that gets 22mpg, yet can still drag 25k without a whimper.

Note tranny on 99 f150 fluid change every 30k, So not a crud problem. That truck was worked hard, not a play toy. Wasn't planning on replacing it, just had redone all front end, shocks, tires. Luck of the draw I guess.

Back