The Bestest Bestest Saw Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best bestest saw

• Total voters
i'm not......you are one of the few that has not been impressed with the 7900. some like other saws better, but nearly all give the saw high praise.

The saw cuts - just not much better(if any) than a DP 460, yet weighs a bit more. I'll have a 7900 buried in 40" maple this weekend if the weather is decent. We'll see how she does then. Perhaps she'll redeem herself. However, the main selling point of a 7900 is the 'light weight" and perhaps the affordability, which it doesn't really have as much as people think. In my neck of the woods, people ask for the same amount for them as a 460mag if used and in good condition, so choosing a 7900 is a bit of an ask. The saw certainly is no lightweight compared to a comparably powerful saw. This isn't just my feelings, the owner expresses the same opinion, and he owns and uses quite a few saws.

I voted for the 7900, but these old Poulans are animals.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l06sC7I9aX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I voted for the 7900, but these old Poulans are animals.

Did you just paint a 266se green and film it? ;)

I understand the Poulan thing. Well, OK, mebbe I don't. But a poll on this site only allows 10 slots. Which of the saws should be removed and replaced with a Poulan option if it were up to you, then?

Also, you guys do know you can vote for as many options as ya like, right? I put in for the 044/372 combo myself.

The saw cuts - just not much better(if any) than a DP 460, yet weighs a bit more. I'll have a 7900 buried in 40" maple this weekend if the weather is decent. We'll see how she does then. Perhaps she'll redeem herself. However, the main selling point of a 7900 is the 'light weight" and perhaps the affordability, which it doesn't really have as much as people think. In my neck of the woods, people ask for the same amount for them as a 460mag if used and in good condition, so choosing a 7900 is a bit of an ask. The saw certainly is no lightweight compared to a comparably powerful saw. This isn't just my feelings, the owner expresses the same opinion, and he owns and uses quite a few saws.

not to pick nits, but a 7900 is ~ .5lbs lighter than a 460. i agree they are very close in the wood and on the scale, but in both cases, the 7900 wins. with a DP, the 460 probably is a little stronger. to me the biggest complaint against the 7900 is the limited coil.

This was a difficult choice because I would like to say the 372XPW and the 7900.

For me the 372 just feels better in my hands, so that was my pick, but either saw cuts just about as well as the other.

not to pick nits, but a 7900 is ~ .5lbs lighter than a 460. i agree they are very close in the wood and on the scale, but in both cases, the 7900 wins. with a DP, the 460 probably is a little stronger. to me the biggest complaint against the 7900 is the limited coil.

I don't think the 7900 is .5lbs lighter in the real world, but it surely is stronger stock, and still a bit lighter - at least all "evidence" I have seen points that way.....:confused2:

Since you asked.....and since you did include an 'Old Saw' option....

This will shock many here who know me (because it's so out of character)...
..........but I voted for the old All-Metal saws that I have boxes of parts for (or that I have access to said boxes of parts for). There's a long list of old magnesium Homelite, McCulloch, and Poulan saws that I'd rather have NIB examples of than any new saw listed in the poll. I'd run 'em too rather than just leaving them on a shelf.
Oh, and I threw a 'vote' to the Dolmar 7900 to try and nudge it past the gaggle of Stihls in the poll. If I was a ref in this game I'd have to throw a Homelite Red flag.........as Stihl has too many players on the field!:jester:

The 7900 and 372 xpw weighed the same with the xpw a 24" and the 7900 with a 28" b/c.

i have never weighed a 460, but i think the stihl spec was about 5oz less than an 064. the 064 i have weighs 14oz more than my 7900's. hence, i deduced the .5lb difference.
I just set mine on the scale ,with a 20"es bar it weighed 20.5lbs.My scales only do .5 increments tho.

I just set mine on the scale ,with a 20"es bar it weighed 20.5lbs.My scales only do .5 increments tho.

Such scales shouldn't be used for weighting saws, and only clean and empty PHOs have anything to do on a scale......;)

Anything else adds a lot of variables, that we have no control of.

You STIHL guys aren't gonna let the 372xp top this poll forever, are you?

I actually forgot to vote for that one, so add one to the tally! :msp_flapper:

That saw is the legend of all saw legends, and even Husky didn't have the guts to get rid of it!

Last edited:
Such scales shouldn't be used for weighting saws, and only clean and empty PHOs have anything to do on a scale......;)

Anything else adds a lot of variables, that we have no control of.
LOL,Iknow thats right,but my ####s rarely clean and they won't cut wood the other way.

I had to go with the trusty 7900. But if the same question pops up next year I guess the Husqvarna 560 XP would get my vote! :msp_biggrin:

I had to go with the trusty 7900. But if the same question pops up next year I guess the Husqvarna 560 XP would get my vote! :msp_biggrin:

Well, I played with a few saws this weekend in some 36" Fir and 40-50" maple, and I gotta say I was impressed with the torque on the 7900:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NznpOnr6ehw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, that is my MM'd(otherwise stock) 372XP at 1:50 ish.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back