The Diary of a Chain Builder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You appear to be the class clown Gypo logger, but can I ask you a serious question. In your opinion, does a chain cut better or faster, prepared with a file or with a grinding like you are doing? Are you really one of the best on this chainsaw site?

Bernie

If you look at how he uses every inch of that 16" bar you can tell he's a master. There are some great chain filers on the site. But I know this much that there are better chain pullers. I think it might be an East coast thing.

Hatchet jack,
I can tell you this, the wood gypo is cutting is a very hard wood.
Just look at his hammer tast.

bernard,
Dont let gypo fool you. He is a very good chain builder.
HUnter

Bernie as far as what is faster , i can tell you this forsure if Gypo is hand filing square chain his grinder will be alot faster than his hand chain

Have not heard from the Gypo logger for his views, but thanks for your answers Hunter and ehp.

Gypo logger how does your chains and saws do at the ChainSaw Races?

I want to buy a race chain so tell me what I can expect for my money from you.

Can you tell me what you do to a race chain [without giving away all your tricks] that you make for someone? For example, are they thinned.

What is the cost of a 84 driver full bore race chain made by you? Is there any guaranty?

I have more questions but I will wait for you to respond first.

Thanks, Bernie

Hi Bernard, my chains are probably at par with Dennis Cahoons and Tommy Fales, ok, however, I don't put the 40 hrs./chain that they do. I simply make sure that all the cutters are exact in length and that the gullets are cleaned out and the corner is exactly in the corner. Then I take the rakers down all the same height before I tickle it one last time in the grinder to take off the slight indentation that the raker gauge leaves in the cutters.
I don't do any thinning or stoning. Jarod paid 190 US/chain only because he insulted me and called me a sawed off runt with an exibitionist complex, but I would only charge you 75$ US. delivered. I gaurantee that you can win any race you attend, and why wouldn't you?
As far as hand filing I would stick with the grinder, in fact, get a Silvey from Jarod, you can't beat his prices.

Bernie ,Gypo is a busy man, cutting a 100 trees a day , grinding those secret weapons of his, and testing new saws but i am sure he will show up soon.
well i know one thing , donot jump a chain on a rotax and then thing it is ok RIGHT NBLOGGER , they are still looking for pieces of it to come back down to earth. Cecil said those chain catcher screen looks like it got shot with a 12 gauge and i do think you set the new distance record for a piece of chain to be tossed, you may be getting a fine for killing those fish out in the musoka river
, they think you shot those fish but i told them it was just saw chain going a hell of a speed and once they picked out a link ,i got you off again

Gypo , Susie finally took the hand cuffs off the bed post or did you get them off yourself, You need to put a 3 in front of that 75 so now it reads $375 for a gypo chain, if you are as fast as the big boys you might as well charge like the big boys

Hi Ed, you are probably right, but the only problem is, is that since our wood here is 40% softer than in the West then I should be charging 40% less for my chain, so 40% of 375$ is 150$, so I will charge only 225CDN.. so I guess Hunter got a deal. LOL
Anywho, here's a cut I made today with the KD088 Worksaw and a finely tuned 36RS I made on a 17" bar. The 40% softer than the westwood was 15" in dia. Basswood.
John

Ask NBlogger if that basswood was soft , he will tell you it is harder than aspen that we use at the contest out here so it cannot be that soft

I guess your not taking me seriously Gypo logger.

What you have described doing to your chain is no more than a work chain to me. If the top people are spending as much as 40Hrs. on a chain, how could yours be equally as fast?

Why don't you thin or stone your chains? Is that what takes 40Hrs? and why wouldn't you?

Why are you using a 058 gauge chain instead of 050?

Could you put on a film clip of you making a bore cut so I can see how your chain cuts through the middle of a log. How about bore, up cut, then down cut, be careful!

Your prices seem fair but I want something alittle bit better than a work chain. It sounds like your toying with anyway.

I already have an old sdm silvey grinder of my dad's, I just really want a good race chain. I was hoping you could do something for me. Thanks for answering my other questions and if you could answer these it would be nice, on the serious of side of course.
Bernie

Your getting your leg pulled on Bernie. Gypo logger don't build race chain. At least fast race chain. tehehe. Fred

Hi Bernie,

I believe that Hatchet Jack is right about you getting your leg pulled. Gypo is an aspiring chain builder, not yet one of the big boys. I don`t think he is telling you all of his secrets either.

Bernie, you also seem to pull the same strings as Tommy Fales and have a similar manner of disclosing your knowledge of race chain building techniques in small bites, first portraying yourself as someone who knows nothing about the topic then dropping little hints that you do know something. I hope that you`re not going to start making deragatory remarks about Art or anyone else, the way Tommy did, since that was his downfall and the one thing that kept him from being popular here. Oh, it also lead to his banishment.

Welcome to the Arboristsite Chainsaw forum.

Russ

Simply AWESOME the guy makes 3 posts and axe is out. Way to go. This is what happens when you give a guy a badge.

Hi Barky, are you trying to get Bernard the Tard banned or something? Bernard called me this morning to talk chain, so I will be sending him one of my root pissin' chains to try.
Bernard, I use the thickest gauge possible because I want the most momentum possible when the chain hits the wood.
John

Jesus Gypo can you not keep anything a secret, now they will figure out we are using .122 gauge chain, with a big gear and a heavy flywheel on the other end of the crank , not much good for cold start but over the block she hauls, Bernie you will just love Gypo's chain , they are a work of art and do not cost as much as Tommy's

Originally posted by Marky Mark
Simply AWESOME the guy makes 3 posts and axe is out. Way to go. This is what happens when you give a guy a badge.
Mark, I'd wanted to "say" something last night along the same lines as Russ' comment.  I had my suspicions at the first post.

Glen

Latest posts

Back