The Diary of a Chain Builder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
square filed

I spent exactly 20 minutes taking the new Carlton round chisel to square filed. The wood was poplar about 2 months cut. 10 inches by approx 12 inch oval 37 inches Circumference. Timed with stop watch.
Round ground 3.48- 3.68 sec.
Square filed 3.00- 3.2
There was still traces of the original roound grind present.If taken back to the rear rivet and filed to sharper angles the time would be about 2.75 seconds.
To shed another .50 seconds takes a lot more work.

Frank

Crofter,
Thanks for posting the times. I have not healed enough to cut. Thought I could, but was wrong.

Your numbers along with many others do prove a square ground/filed chain is faster then a round ground chain.

Did you ever get your Square grinder? I know you have been doing most of your work by hand file.

I look forward to hearing more about your chains,
Thanks
Hunter

hey ehp.. nobody is more aware of the complex problems involved in getting chain rite.. i was just funning u bud.

Tony i was not talking towards you , i was talking to the guys that think you just buy a grinder and now you are making race chains , i have had alot of guys think it is alot faster and easier but i am slower than if a hand file the chain

Ed is right, it takes 100rd's of hrs. on the phone pumping Martin, Cahoon, Fales and Dunn for chain info, however, it's a tough job and somebody's got to do it, so anyway......
Here we are, a KD346 with my chain as posted above.
Ya bunch of Dullards
John

P.S., to further your viewing enjoyment of my vids, hit ALT and ENTER on your keyboard, this will give the full screen effect in case you didn't know.
John

Hi Fred, not a problem, shoot your address thru an email to me and I'll send you a loop. Are you still using 325 chipper?
John

Hunter; Im still hand filing. Haven't heard from Jacob J. for a while about his for sale. My speed at filing is picking up and as your strokes get more positive the files last longer. One curse about grinding is that a lot of times you cant file after because you heat harden spots when grinding unless you are VERY careful. If you go after angles like what is on Masdens site or Oregon, as Ehp pointed out, you are not making racing chain. In one of Ken Dunns posts and some of Art's, you will hear angles a lot different from factory square ground.
Anyways, you aspiring race chain builders, be forwarned that the activity makes you lose your sanity! Gypo is starting to show signs already, other members of renown have been turfed outta
here for being obstreperous, EHP's getting dicey too.

Frank

Crofter,
Thats a good point. Ed has stressed not to get the tip heated.
I am actually switching to a white stone, its softer and does not build up the heat. Its also a finer grit, which will not leave the coarse lines.

I agree about Gypo. Hes a few logs short of a full load!LOL

Hunter

WHAT are you trying to say i may be crazy, i am a few frenchfrys short of a happy meal or what , ya i would pretty much have to agree with you, but i still have to ask the others to see if that was ok to say

Stihl 066 I dabble abit. I race tillers to. Mine has a 490 Maico motor on it. I can't run very fast anymore so I get a young fast kid to drive it for me now. If you can't keep up you just drag across the line. Its somethin to see. Fred

Gypo logger I'll send one of mine to. My chain will pull your skinnybutt right threw the cut. Be sure your wife gets a picture of your feet stickin out the log. Fred

:laugh: Tiller racing, LOL that sounds like it could be fun and would be hillarious to watch. Never even thought of that before.

It won't be to many more hours and you'll have your 40 in on that chain, Gypo logger. It does look like it's cutting better, but what do you have, to compare too? I haven't seen a bore cut yet either. What type of chain is 36RS?
Remember, you quoted me 75 bucks, so where am I in line, and how long will it take you to make me a one?
Bernie

Bernie, There are some good chain filers in Northern Cali as I have been billed by them. Due to conflicts of intrest they are no longer on the site but I have there numbers.

As being I want more and more speed out of my chain I have found and older gent by the name of Roy Booth. He lives outside of Fort Brag. I was told a story by Tom Fales once that he beat him so bad Tom wanted to give up half way thru the log.

I think Roy is about the same age as Art Martin. Of course It's my understanding that Ken Dunn also builds a nice chain.

AS for you west coasters roto tiller racing out east we race have the Mantis race. 2 Strokes 45cc Here's a picture of last years winner. Ol suzy making the winning till.
tiller.gif

LMFAO! Thats Sizzling Susie with the Mad Mantis!
Hunter

John
Seth here,could you send me a couple of cases of Molson Canadian Light cans.I don't know the ramifications or shipping beir across the boader.But if it is feasable let me know. Seth
Maybe a trade for a $250 race chain built to the hill it will be set for a smaller gear because I cant find any fuel for the 181 Husky,I can leave the tooth set + for a alky saw though.The 088 is fast but won't hang with the funny fuel sawz .M181(with out the Tillotson alcohol carb) put 3 seconds under every saw in the 5 cube& open class at Reedstown .And the 7900KD got DQ in the stock saw class.

Latest posts

Back