The Firewood Situation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see plenty of guys selling wood for below last years prices lately. Of course they weren't out cutting in the Spring or Summer. They are cutting green wood to sell immediately. As in go cut and load it then sit on a corner with a sign.

I'm not hungry enough to lose money, but when I pull in to chat for a minute they see seasoned wood and leave pissed. :dunno:

Last edited:
I only did up a half dozen cord to sell, and it all sold at 200.00 picked up. I see lots of 200 on CL, some higher, but you don't know if it's selling. Who ever thought after July you'd see gas for 1.79 again? The fear that was around then about freezing to death at 5.00/gal oil is gone, people will reach for the Tstat before the woodpile. I do feel sorry for the people that the oil co's. scared into locking in at 4.60/gal. That is really sad.

I only did up a half dozen cord to sell, and it all sold at 200.00 picked up. I see lots of 200 on CL, some higher, but you don't know if it's selling. Who ever thought after July you'd see gas for 1.79 again? The fear that was around then about freezing to death at 5.00/gal oil is gone, people will reach for the Tstat before the woodpile. I do feel sorry for the people that the oil co's. scared into locking in at 4.60/gal. That is really sad.

I was thinking about that pre-buy earlier today and wondered if they were going to be stuck with it or if they could hold off on getting it delivered till heating oil was back up again so they got their moneys worth. Probably like buyng in the futures market, when it matures you get what you got.

I was thinking about that pre-buy earlier today and wondered if they were going to be stuck with it or if they could hold off on getting it delivered till heating oil was back up again so they got their moneys worth. Probably like buyng in the futures market, when it matures you get what you got.

I do not use oil for heating, so I do not really know, but I thought if you pre-bought the oil at a certain price, and the price of oil went down before delivery, the gas co. would sell it at the lower price.

At least, that would be the honorable thing to do.

Oil companies and honorable just don't seem to go together in the same sentence. The smaller ones, I'm sure, have their scruples, big oil seems more out to scrou u and your pals.

Theres a few of my neighbors that are $hit canning there corn burners for OWB.3 years ago they were giveing me crap about the work it takes to get wood.So how long before they figure out it does'nt split and stack itself.....
All I can do is drink beer and wait.

~

I pre bought 500 gallons @ 4.79 back in June. This was mostly to keep my service contract and insurance i have on my oil burner, it is also my hot water so we are going to use some amount of oil no matter what at this point (april to oct 116gallons for DHW this year) anyway - my oil company made me buy price cap insurance - basicly cost me 150.00 bucks and no matter how high the price went it wouldn't go any higher for my 500gallons(min buy also) BUT the cool thing about the price protection plan i have is that if the price comes down (like it is now) I pay the going rate for that days delivery...

their are alot of folks (older) out there that got screwed because they locked in at 4.80/gal and no price protection was offered/required.... thats the folks it's going to hurt the most.

SS

If diesel wasn't't so expensive, I'd haul almond all over the country. There is 100's of 1000's of acres of almond here in the the San Joaquin Valley, Ca. The really sad part of it is, it's illegal to burn in your stoves or fire places in half the counties here. Most ranches get turned into wood chips and sold for who knows what.
So wherebouts in the valley does one find one of these almond orchards?

Propane is only used in the water heater and oven/range and yet we used 68gal over two months! Paid $2.60/gal yesterday. Could the water heater be sucking down that much propane? It was installed in '91.

I see a lot of guys selling a pickup load of wood trying to make an extra buck. Sales are slow, most people get their wood in Sept/Oct.
Dok

just found a guy here where i live, has 800 cords of dry birch cut to 8 foot get this $20 a cord, going to get 10 cords tonite now i'm set for the winter.
he said he advertised all summer with no response now he has to get rid of it cause it's in the way of his chipper. i'm not complaining

just found a guy here where i live, has 800 cords of dry birch cut to 8 foot get this $20 a cord, going to get 10 cords tonite now i'm set for the winter.
he said he advertised all summer with no response now he has to get rid of it cause it's in the way of his chipper. i'm not complaining

Not surprising most people now are used to it being on the shelf, readily available or on sale, Thank You WAL-Mart. No thought to the future, a shortage or a crisis of any kind. I did sell some early in the season when gas was above $4.00 a gallon and rising.

Even called a few that had bought last year saying they had trouble finding any, Most said "No, there is always somebody selling wood in the middle of winter."

me - "OK , It's seasoned and you wont have to take any chances getting fresh cut green/wet wood to burn properly."

them - "We didn't have any problems last year, we're fine for now."

me - "Thank You and sorry to have bothered you."

it has been kinda hit and miss in the last few weeks, but we have people on craigslist selling cords for $130, :jawdrop: we figured it out and it costs us about $90 a cord to make wood after labor and that $4.42 a gallon diesel fuel we are still burning when we bought a thousand gallons:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back