The Illusive Impulse Line....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdfccf73

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently learned a little about the illusive impulse line on my Stihl 025.
I also learned that one of my local dealers priced me one for $4.99
WTH???? Are you kidding me!!! The hose can't be more than 2 1/2" to 3" long?

My question?

Do you have to replace your impulse line with the OEM (OEM is correct terminology right?) part?
Or can you use fuel line to replace it?
If so, what size of fuel line works best?

Mine appears to have a bigger nipple on the crankcase side vs the nipple on the back of the plastic shroud? Is this right or are they the same size and I'm crazy?

Thanks,
Chris

Vacuum Line huh..... ok, Thank you!

Stupid question #2, What's the difference between fuel line and vacuum line?
I'm guessing one has more fibers or something to make it more rigid?

Thanks,
Chris

Different material, and yes, more rigid, stiffer, etc. Less likely to collapse during movement and operation of the saw.

I recently learned a little about the illusive impulse line on my Stihl 025.
I also learned that one of my local dealers priced me one for $4.99
WTH???? Are you kidding me!!! The hose can't be more than 2 1/2" to 3" long?

My question?

Do you have to replace your impulse line with the OEM (OEM is correct terminology right?) part?
Or can you use fuel line to replace it?
If so, what size of fuel line works best?

Mine appears to have a bigger nipple on the crankcase side vs the nipple on the back of the plastic shroud? Is this right or are they the same size and I'm crazy?

Thanks,
Chris

WHAT !!! $4.99 for a stihl impulse line ?? today one for a 028 cost me $8 and i was MORE than happy to have the correct one !!
WTH ?? are you kidding me ?? you would cheap out on a $5 part that is guaranteed to fit and hold up and work right ??
on that part there is NO substitute for $5..

WHAT !!! $4.99 for a stihl impulse line ?? today one for a 028 cost me $8 and i was MORE than happy to have the correct one !!
WTH ?? are you kidding me ?? you would cheap out on a $5 part that is guaranteed to fit and hold up and work right ??

:agree2:

What Ron said. If $5 is too much maintenance for you to pay on a $300 saw every 10 years, maybe you should be renting.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the right part for my saw.......

I'm not cheap but I don't just throw money out the window either.
As for the rest of your comment, It wasn't appreciated.:buttkick:
Enough said....

exactly!!! Why waste the time, aggrivation, and the extra gas to drive somewhere to substitute a $5 part?

Ok, apparently this is a no win situation for me.......... I give up.................................. whatever..................

Last edited:
Ok, apparently this is a no win situation for me.......... I give up.................................. whatever..................

Hey,bud, they were just trying to help. The ones for my 044 and 028super were 7 bucks each. This is one cheasy little part I WOULD NOT skimp on. Get the wrong hose (cheap alt) and have it fail will lead to a lean seize at the worst. Then your cheap alt just cost ya 200 bucks.

Remember, you asked us our opinion.

Hey,bud, they were just trying to help. The ones for my 044 and 028super were 7 bucks each. This is one cheasy little part I WOULD NOT skimp on. Get the wrong hose (cheap alt) and have it fail will lead to a lean seize at the worst. Then your cheap alt just cost ya 200 bucks.

Remember, you asked us our opinion.

Honkie, Thank you for a respectful comment, You know that is all it takes, give your opinion to someone without insulting them? Wow, how simple is that....
Explain the reason, Justify it by giving the worst case scenario like you did. I may be inexperienced at the whole mechanic thing, but that doesn't mean I'm an IDIOT!!

Thank You,
Chris

I am for saving a buck but there are times when it can cost in the long run. Impulse and fuel lines are a good example!

I buy mine directly from my local dealer. The online auction stuff often lists for $3-8, plus $2-5 for shipping and I'm never sure of the quality. The dealer sold me the last one for $5. I'll take it, I know it'll fit the first time and probably outlast the auction part, whatever that was.

OP, grow some skin...you have 70 post so you should know not to take things too personal. you asked and someone gave you their opinion with a bit of a jab; roll with it, it's easier that way.

Well... in fairness to the OP;
it was way more than he expected.
On the other hand it's cheap in comparison to other OEM parts.
-br.

OP, grow some skin...you have 70 post so you should know not to take things too personal. you asked and someone gave you their opinion with a bit of a jab; roll with it, it's easier that way.

That's right. Nobody called you a miser, tightwad, skinflint, dollar foolish, or other appropriate description.

nmurph, I understand what your saying, The only difference is that I would NOT, regardless of opinion, DISRESPECT ANYONE on here.
This site and EVERYONE on it, are a valuable resource! One that I respect and appreciate.
I won't go into detail, but I'm a supervisor. There are four things that I promise my employees
1) I'm fair
2) I'm firm (with regard to authority)
3) I'm honest
4) I will treat you like I want and expect to be treated

Guess I try to apply that to everyone I deal with...
Thanks for the comment,
Chris

nmurph, I understand what your saying, The only difference is that I would NOT, regardless of opinion, DISRESPECT ANYONE on here.
This site and EVERYONE on it, are a valuable resource! One that I respect and appreciate.
I won't go into detail, but I'm a supervisor. There are four things that I promise my employees
1) I'm fair
2) I'm firm (with regard to authority)
3) I'm honest
4) I will treat you like I want and expect to be treated

Guess I try to apply that to everyone I deal with...
Thanks for the comment,
Chris

i agree with your four tenents and think they are to be admired and aspired to. however, i supervise a department of mostly college educated folks and we are quick to jab at each other. it's not nasty or viscious, but it is often blunt and too the point. it improves our critical thinking, reduces duhhhhhhh questions, and keeps us from all going insane!!!! we speak freely with each other and have a good laugh. what we all remember is that at some point everyone will be the bug and everyone will be the windshield!!!
i think what got everyone was the WTH comment on a $5 part. granted, it's a piece of rubber. i understand the thought, but it's one i would have kept to myself. i we were talking about $200 hoses, i would totally agree with you.

Latest posts

Back