The Kuliens (boots) Are Here! Or, Smurfed Again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use obendorfs or however you spell it.

none of these boots are calks, all regular soles.

redwings lasted me 6 months

carolina's lasted me 6 months

ive got a pair of insulated carolinas that are doing pretty good

i blow the side out of them.

Viberg makes lots of non-caulk workboots. They last and last, none of this six months nonsense. Look up Viberg on Google, its all there.

Ms. p, congratulations on the big purchase. Something like that can make me a little nervous,, "do these really fit, is this really right" but it always is. Enjoy.
SILlogger, go for it. I wear wescos, but choose any of those quality ones, the others may be better in some way-- you'll be pleased and impressed with the difference.

Wear depends on what you do. I got two seasons of wear--12 months out of my Whites, before they needed rebuilding. But I was out marking and cruising timber and put a lot of miles on them with the occasional bout of firefighting. We figured about 10 miles a day on rocky ground. Now, as we grow older, we hope to get higher paying work, which usually means more headwork and less footwork. My old kuliens lasted 4 years before requiring major work. They had a longer season of wear over here, but less mileage. The trees are closer together--less walking required. The Wescos have lasted 2 seasons and the one boot is what I call blown out, deformed and is painful on steep slopes. I didn't take them on fires, they were caulks. Back in the tree marking days, I wore holes in the heels of a pair of Danners in 2 months. Steep ground does that.

The same goes for caulk wear. Are you going to be on rocky ground? Walking on roads? Working on landings? New spikes don't cost much. My main concern is haviing weird feet and getting a good fit so I'm not whining while trying to find where the hooktender went.

Vibergs come hooktender recommended. I wanted to try a pair of them but they didn't have my size available. I blew the $$ on what I knew had worked in the past and would fit well. I'm supporting a semi-local business also. It'll be easy to get things fixed when they need it. Kuliens have been around for 100+ years.

I greased them. They have darkened. They are inhaling grease. Oh, I'm using the Obenaufs or whatever it is. It isn't as good on hands as the other kind I like. I can't remember where I put it!:dizzy:

In the winter when I get into cleaning & oiling a lot of tack & other leather goods, is generally when the hands are/get in the best of shape. After all skin is nothing but a living leather. :)

If you can avoid the petroleum products on fine leathers, you'll find the useful life & the stitching to last longer.

Everyone has their favorites and what works for them.

http://www.rayholesleathercare.com/products.html

how long do calks usually last you? how long did the whites and wesco's last? boots have been lasting me 6-9 months a pair at around $125+. i didn't know if whites or wesco's would last any longer

If they keep failing in the same place, it may be from a misfit problem.
I used to wear out the outside just behind my little toe first. But with a custom made boot I can get one that fits my foot and wears much more evenly all around. It is also much more comfortable.

If they keep failing in the same place, it may be from a misfit problem.
I used to wear out the outside just behind my little toe first. But with a custom made boot I can get one that fits my foot and wears much more evenly all around. It is also much more comfortable.

I think that might be the case.

back in my dirt bike days i hit a log with my left foot.. basically my toes touched my heel (wrapped my foot around the footpeg) i'm sure it broke just about every bone in my foot(didn't go to the doctor)

now ive got a little bit of a knot where by little toe meets my foot. and that is prolly pushing out on the boot. i typically almost always blow out my left boot in this spot.

the first few boots that i purchased i got so that they were comfortable when i got them, after they stretched they were too big. now i get them where they almost hurt my feet when i get them and then they wear in nicely. the last couple pairs have been wearing very evenly but i still blew out the left one.

is custom fit the only way to go or do you think that just getting a higher quality boot (whites, wescos, viberg, kuliens) would make the difference

Imo, the leather and stitching in those is much better and longer lasting. So off the shelf boots last longer. But for a very few more dollors it is well worth getting the measuring kit and getting them custom made.
I ordered a pair of Madsens store brand caulks because I couldn't wait for a set of customs. They are made by White's. They are nice boots but the difference in fit makes me regret not ordering before I had to have a set fast. Now I hardly wear them because they just are not as comfortable.

Imo, the leather and stitching in those is much better and longer lasting. So off the shelf boots last longer. But for a very few more dollors it is well worth getting the measuring kit and getting them custom made.
I ordered a pair of Madsens store brand caulks because I couldn't wait for a set of customs. They are made by White's. They are nice boots but the difference in fit makes me regret not ordering before I had to have a set fast. Now I hardly wear them because they just are not as comfortable.

i think it is one of those deals that if you never had custom fit boots that you wouldn't know what you were missing. but once youve have them you wouldn't want anything else

I'm thinking it was about $100 more for the whites and wesco's to be custon fit

i think it is one of those deals that if you never had custom fit boots that you wouldn't know what you were missing. but once youve have them you wouldn't want anything else

I'm thinking it was about $100 more for the whites and wesco's to be custon fit

I can order custom Whites from their web site cheaper than I can buy them off the shelf around here. The $ danger is in adding a bunch of custom options.
For me it is well worth the it. The stress is not consentrated on one spot and they don't slip and slide around on my heels.

I can order custom Whites from their web site cheaper than I can buy them off the shelf around here. The $ danger is in adding a bunch of custom options.
For me it is well worth the it. The stress is not consentrated on one spot and they don't slip and slide around on my heels.

so did u get a measuring kit some time in the past, measure yourself, pay more and get your first set of boots, and now it doesn't cost as much?

i was thinking it was gonna cost about $500 for the boots without any special options, just regular boots the were custom fit to me.

I have off the shelf Wescos that I thought fit exceptionally. I am hard on them and other than an errant axe blow, they are holding up solidly after 3 years. I have trashed American made Red Wings in less than a year of daily abuse.

Custom boots, or at least high end, are worth it, for your feet, your back, your knees and your production.

Custom boots, or at least high end, are worth it, for your feet, your back, your knees and your production.

+1

i'm about to get some custom fit boots in a month or two...

every off the shelf boot (except viberg, white's, wescos, etc.)
wears out in less than a year for me
i'm wear them daily, work or no work.

every boot is gonna take some serious abuse...

it's a matter of finding the ones that fit your feet and can take the abuse

+1

i'm about to get some custom fit boots in a month or two...

every off the shelf boot (except viberg, white's, wescos, etc.)
wears out in less than a year for me
i'm wear them daily, work or no work.

every boot is gonna take some serious abuse...

it's a matter of finding the ones that fit your feet and can take the abuse

Will they make your feet look like little smurf feet?:)

Will they make your feet look like little smurf feet?:)

i dunno what my feet are... most off the shelf boots just hurt though.

but no, i have no smurf feet and i will not join your smurf feet club!

i dunno what my feet are... most off the shelf boots just hurt though.

but no, i have no smurf feet and i will not join your smurf feet club!

:hmm3grin2orange: LOL...She's probably stagging her pants off higher...just to show off those new boots. I think pink ones would have looked good, or maybe bright orange...they're so darn small they'd be easier to see that way.

The boot people said they could do anything. When I mentioned pink with little sparkles I got the Stinkeye, but a polite Stinkeye and she said they probably would not recommend pink boots with sparkles.

I also mentioned that there was a guy working out here who I would have to hide them from. (I think there may be 2) He has the same size feet. She said, "I know." So he's been in there too. Guys can have Smurf feet too. :)

Back