The moderen Swede saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yes, that fuel line is a little long. Good thing that it is as that up front carb on the top handle saw is the best thing since sliced bread. Makes the saw balanced and easy to work on. Hey Jonsereds was happy with it far as I know.

No I dont think so. That was too early for the Markham ON plant, but I guess I could look it up to be sure.

Your right, this early stack is quite the noise maker.

attachment.php

Man I'm glad I got the "quiet" one!!! LOL!!

Not a bad little saw really....the only thing I don't care for is tuning it.....no access to the H&L screws with the top cover on.....with the cover off so you can tune, it isn't drawing air through the air filter so to get it right it's kinda trial and error....get it tuned so it runs good with the cover off.....put the cover on and it's to rich... I probably had the cover on and off a half dozen times before I got it right...

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:we all know that's where the REAL Poulans come from :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Far as I'm concerned, most of the real ones came from Shreveport, Louisiana. :msp_thumbup:

Man I'm glad I got the "quiet" one!!! LOL!!

Not a bad little saw really....the only thing I don't care for is tuning it.....no access to the H&L screws with the top cover on.....with the cover off so you can tune, it isn't drawing air through the air filter so to get it right it's kinda trial and error....get it tuned so it runs good with the cover off.....put the cover on and it's to rich... I probably had the cover on and off a half dozen times before I got it right...

Yeah your right on the top cover, but you get used to it. Seems there were quite a few saws made back then that had to have the covers removed to adjust them or at least even set the idle on them.

Robin, your a Jred guy, got any idea how long Jonsereds sold the Lil Jon?

Far as I'm concerned, most of the real ones came from Shreveport, Louisiana. :msp_thumbup:

Yeah your right on the top cover, but you get used to it. Seems there were quite a few saws made back then that had to have the covers removed to adjust them or at least even set the idle on them.

Robin, your a Jred guy, got any idea how long Jonsereds sold the Lil Jon?

No not really but I'd guess early 70s through the late 70s....I think they sold the later AV model ones for a short while and then went to the 36 which was the Quad mfgd saw that was rebadged by everyone under the sun.....that was when they dropped the "Lil' Jon" name. Not sure even when they started but I remember back in April 1977 just before I bought my new 49SP an old guy I worked with brought me a AV Lil' Jon to try for the weekend that was all but brand new...his nephew was a dealer and someone bought it...had it 2-3 days and brought it back and traded up to a 52E... I liked the Lil guy but my saw requirements were greater, at the time than he could fulfill...

Last edited:
No not really but I'd guess early 70s through the late 70s....I think they sold the later AV model ones for a short while and then went to the 36 which was the Quad mfgd saw that was rebadged by everyone under the sun.....that was when they dropped the "Lil' Jon" name. Not sure even when they started but I remember back in April 1977 just before I bought my new 49SP an old guy I worked with brought me a AV Lil' Jon to try for the weekend that was all but brand new...his nephew was a dealer and someone bought it...had it 2-3 days and brought it back and traded up to a 52E... I liked the Lil guy but my saw requirements were greater, at the time than he could fulfill...

Thanks for your input Robin, very interesting to hear you say that they might have sold the counter vibe saw under the Jonsereds name, never heard that before or seen anything relating to that.

Thanks for your input Robin, very interesting to hear you say that they might have sold the counter vibe saw under the Jonsereds name, never heard that before or seen anything relating to that.

I am not positive of that but I am quite sure the one that was lent to me to try was AV.......I could be wrong...was 35 or so yrs ago.... but I'm fairly sure the AV part was what led me to the Jonsereds in the in the beginning.....I remember it being a smooth little saw to run just not big enough for my needs at the time. I wanted a 621 badly but my dollars only went up to the 49sp level....I have a lot of paper Jonsereds IPLs but none on the Lil' Jon with or without AV...again I am relying on memory...which, on occasion has proven faulty....

I am not positive of that but I am quite sure the one that was lent to me to try was AV.......I could be wrong...was 35 or so yrs ago.... but I'm fairly sure the AV part was what led me to the Jonsereds in the in the beginning.....I remember it being a smooth little saw to run just not big enough for my needs at the time. I wanted a 621 badly but my dollars only went up to the 49sp level....I have a lot of paper Jonsereds IPLs but none on the Lil' Jon with or without AV...again I am relying on memory...which, on occasion has proven faulty....

I hear ya on the memory from back then.

I can relate to the empty pockets back the then also. I bought a used Poulan 306A around 78. I really wanted a new 245 LOL.

I can't remember any Jonsereds at all around here at all, back then we had Poulan, Homelite, and Echo was just coming around. I guess there were some MAC's, but most around here avoided them.

Yeah, back then, up here Jonsereds ruled the roost.....there were 5-6 dealers within a half hour drive....there were plenty of Homlites and Macs around...Lombards too. The majority of the wood in the 70s was cut with the 52/52E, 621 and 80.....mostly spruce and fir pulpwood and of course hardwood firewood...but Jonsereds failed when they started in with those 5XX saws and everyone bought them like hotcakes believing they were just upgrded 49s-52s....which they were not....pulpwooders generally are in herd mode when to many failures occur they all brandshift as one.....Partner took up the slack for a spell as everyone was used to quiet mufflers, good power and decent AV...then Husky started to show up.....most full time woodboogers up here run Huskies now and have for quite some time..Jonsered faded away in the span of two yrs...of all those dealers...only one still has the Jonsered line....this is the same dealer that lent me the Lil' Jon way back then..but they stock nearly nothing....but have a lot of old broken, worn out Jonsereds stashed in school busses out back...LOL!!

Yep... here's my only pull-on...very low hrs.. A member sent me the NOS chain/bar guard from the "Christmas" thread and wouldn't say what it was!! Nice Lil' runner but loud as a m...well you know how loud!! LOL!!! The funniest thing about this little saw is the fuel line....it took nearly 14" of line to get from the filter to the carb!!!!

yeah I changed the fuel line on one,,, over the hill, back again. then through the woods,, and yes very loud !!!!

was there two? One in TO the other in Markham?

I have two 3400 starter covers, one with Toronto and one with Markham on the label. The Markham plant was in the Skil plant and Poulan left that when Electrolux bought them.
I wonder if the Toronto address was an office.

I will ask someone who knows a Poulan distributor who was around then and knows a lot about Poulan in Canada.

I have two 3400 starter covers, one with Toronto and one with Markham on the label. The Markham plant was in the Skil plant and Poulan left that when Electrolux bought them.

I will ask someone who knows a Poulan distributor who was around then and knows a lot about Poulan in Canada.

what I wouldn't give for NOS Canadian 4000 or 3400xp decals.....

I'm betting your on the right track with the office part.

Been doing a little research here and I'd be pretty surprised if Poulan ever did a AV version of that saw for Jonsereds. The time frame dont jive.

The Lil Jon is a Poulan 25DA, not a Super25 and those were only produced from 1971 to 1974.

According to Acres the Jonsereds 36 was introduced in 1973 and I take everything at Acres anymore with a grain of salt, but this just might be correct. I have quite a few Poulan documents and can find no other saw for Jonsereds then other then the 2.1 Lil Jon.

So it seems that Jonsereds and Poulan parted ways after only 1 or 2 years. Jonsereds customers sure took a hit with a much lesser saw in the 36 and 361 then if they would have kept the Poulan built saws, but it was probably a economic move, and they wanted to keep a small saw in there lineup which Jonsereds didnt seem to have at that time.

I would love to get my hands on a 3400XP. Apparently, a ton of 4000's were sold in Ontario but I have only seen one come up for sale. I know those labels are out there on some old dealer's shelf somewhere.

I rebuilt one for my dad sans the new decals. Imagine my surprise when I kept ordering 3400 rings and they were too small. It wasn't till I started calling around and stumbled upon a guy from North Bay who told me a 3400xp was a 4000....

Latest posts

Back