The MS461.........A Peek Inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is interesting information.

So I was <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/210908.htm#post3880870">right</a>, they <i>are </i> using a form of Exhaust Gas Recirculation to achieve their emissions reduction. It's pretty clever... Tree Monkey, your thoughts? :msp_smile:

Better make sure your mix oil is good lads; some of it is going through your engine twice! ;-)

Nothing cleaver about that, been around a long time.

Well I got to run Scott's built 461 and Brad's muffler modded one. The one Scott built had an edge on the one I built in speed but the numbers I used seemed to build a little more torque......at least in my heavy hand. :laugh:

Either way they were really close. The two ported ones were ahead of the stock one by several seconds and only a couple of seconds separated the two ported ones.

I had a blast at this GTG. :clap:

Hooray 461!!!!!!

stock or ported it has the widest usable power band.

and torque of a 660 in a 460 sized package.

Those are sure impressive!. Too bad a power head(shortest bar) is $1100!.

around here its listed for $1009 with a 16in b/c, but you cant even get a dealer to order one. bryan equipment wont sell any till all the 460s are gone.

Where are all the photos and videos? Come on now. :hmm3grin2orange:

I was on a getaway from the shop.......I never took any pics or videos. Cowroy did do a #### load of video though....and had some of this saw, Scott's build, and Brad's one as well. It will probably be awhile before he processes it all though......

And how did the 461's compare to other saws in their class? Did they hold up to the 372 Andre ported for Mike?

My opinion so far... The 461 is looking to be the ultimate worksaw, not cookie cutter. They make crazy torque, but not the RPMs of a 372 or 460. When I build mine, I'll be looking for more RPMs in it, while not loosing the torque that makes them so strong. Can it be done? Hopefully it won't cost me a cylinder to find out, lol:)

let me say i was very impressed. surprisingly. a stock saw even.

i ran it before brad and he almost didnt believe me when i said it had stupid torque. :laugh:

I was impressed by the 461s also. They kinda felt like a 660 in the cut. You could put some weight down on them too, and they would'nt bog. It's just not enough to make me want to trade my newly ported 441C for though. After doing some more cutting with it today I can really feel the power it has. The only solution I can come up with is to buy a 461 (if I can ever afford it) and just keep them both. :D The ported 461's are stronger than the ported 441C's though.

Last edited:
My opinion so far... The 461 is looking to be the ultimate worksaw, not cookie cutter. They make crazy torque, but not the RPMs of a 372 or 460. When I build mine, I'll be looking for more RPMs in it, while not loosing the torque that makes them so strong. Can it be done? Hopefully it won't cost me a cylinder to find

Torque is what I desire most in a worksaw, you can always get more chain speed with a sprocket swap.

I was impressed by the 461s also. They kinda felt like a 660 in the cut. You could put some weight down on them too, and they would'nt bog. It's just not enough to make me want to trade my newly ported 441C for though. After doing some more cutting with it today I can really feel the power it has. The only solution I can come up with is to buy a 461 (if I can ever afford it) and just keep them both. :D The ported 461's are stronger than the ported 441C's though.

Did they get run against any bigger saws? Or other ported saws?

Back