The MS661 is for sale in the US again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron660

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's not how they work. The system simply leans out the mixture every so often and watches how the rpm changes. If it goes down the mixture was too lean. If it goes up it was rich. If it goes up by just the programmed amount the mixture was just right. It can only really work at a steady throttle position, or the rpm change signal would be difficult or impossible to interpret. There may be a temp sensor, but it is not used to map the fuel mixture - the lean out test would over ride that anyway.
That's the other part I'd agree with how the Mtronics works (finding the leanest mix). I still think there's a temperature sensor to adjust for change in outside temperatures.....just like we'd have to adjust a manual carb for those changes.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
That's the other part I'd agree with how the Mtronics works (finding the leanest mix). I still think there's a temperature sensor to adjust for change in outside temperatures.....just like we'd have to adjust a manual carb for those changes.
It doesn't need to know the temperature, pressure or any of those things to compensate for them, just like you don't. It does pretty much exactly what you'd do when tuning - turn the screw a little to the lean side and "listen" to what the rpm does. And then set it back just to the rich side. Only it does that test over and over while the saw is running.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Huskys AT system has a throttle position, and a temp sensor. These are both things I can check with their software.

I would like to think the MT system has the same.
I'm betting it uses the temp sensor to adjust various control loop settings - it doesn't need it for the basic mixture feedback. I also wonder if it is air temp or engine temp - since I don't have one to look at!

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

My old McCinderblock achieves the same thing by placing the entire carb in a sealed box behind the air filter. I am kinda surprised that they still do that with AT/MT, although I guess it's one less thing the system has to compensate for.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

No idea first hand, although I have read the same. I thought I remembered some article about Husky being told they had to share something with Stihl, but I don't remember the details nor if it was strato or AT.

one.man.band

one.man.band

ArboristSite Guru
checking into some auto sites, reveals that a tps system in an '83 toyota was run by a potentiometer, which adjusted the electrical resistance as the throttle butterfly moves. (simple 'volume' control on a stereo).

intermittent failure of tps symptoms include: poor idle; stumble.....

...in a toyota.......haha

Ron660

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
It doesn't need to know the temperature, pressure or any of those things to compensate for them, just like you don't. It does pretty much exactly what you'd do when tuning - turn the screw a little to the lean side and "listen" to what the rpm does. And then set it back just to the rich side. Only it does that test over and over while the saw is running.
I wouldn't dispute that also. When you calibrate, for 90 seconds, it's adjusting the engines rpms for ambient conditions and/or fuel mix. So it's adjusting the "idle and L" settings during the calibration. The "H" setting is probably limited.

Latest posts