The new Husqvarna "flippy" caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. I never looked real close to the stihl caps. I thought they sealed like the previous stihl caps did as well?? So does the stihl flippy caps give that much trouble? My main concern with them both would be breaking off the flippy part if they didn't lay back down.

NOOOOOOOOOO Stihl flippy caps work fine if you have a brain. I once didn't have a brain and got wizzed on but I soon got my brain back and fixed that problem with no flippy cap problems since.

I think Stihl caps are fine and the Husky caps will be fine also as long as the handle is strong enough.

I believe Husky did this because the AS site has been fairly quiet lately...Now we have something to discuss or cuss about!

id much rather have caps that dont need a bar wrench to open up ,hate the ones on my 660,the husky design looks nice

The key to any thread in cap is not to over tighten. The huskies especially don't work on compression, except for a couple.

Husky almost flippy caps

Actually those new caps look pretty good. Bad thing is sooner or later one will break then a new thread will go after em. I've never had a problem w/my Stihl flippy caps though....Line em up (it helps to actually look at them while doing this), drop em in, twist...done. Someone should do a vid on how to put them in. Some of these guys seem to have a problem w/putting a square peg in a square hole.

flippy cap is it an improvement

I hope when they designed the new cap, they raised it enough so when you take it off, saw dust does not fall in the tank like it does now. The engineers that recessed the cap so the dust collected around it is higher than the opening needs to cut some wood.

I hope when they designed the new cap, they raised it enough so when you take it off, saw dust does not fall in the tank like it does now. The engineers that recessed the cap so the dust collected around it is higher than the opening needs to cut some wood.

These caps do not sit flush, they stick out over the entire circumference of the cap at the tank.

They will likely be very nice to use - the question is how long that "flippy" handle stay in place with hamfisted users...

Anyway no big deal, as long as they can be replaced by regular caps.

The flip cap will last fine, i have one on a test saw that has 1000 tanks of fuel through it, he hasn't broken it yet.

Husky added a moving part where none was needed.

Stihl added 3 moving parts and relied on ramped locking surfaces, that do not self adjust for wear.

The ramped thread has been around, since the Egyptians were sitting around betting on which sow the Boar would mount.

Flippy caps suck purely for the insult to progress.

I'm not sure WTF the point of the new Husky flippy turneys is, other than bieng tool less.
No, at first look, I ain't a fan.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Originally Posted by spacemule
But, the only similarity between the two is the flip up grip. They are completely different in operation. The Husky version is nothing more than a standard cap with a handle on it. To say they are "pretty much the same" is way off the mark.

Exactly. :cheers:

For me the big plus is as you already mentioned: They fully interchange with the old caps and users can pick which ever they prefer.

And I really don't see the point. I have never had a saw that I couldn't remove/replace the cap by hand. I can't see where that flip-up handle adds anything useful.

Harry K

Well in excess of 500 hours of cutting time...................how did you figure that out?

:popcorn:

Lets see...the test saw comes with a book and each time you fill the saw up you write it in the book, when you are done you add up all the fill ups and get your total.....:laugh:

Husky added a moving part where none was needed.

Stihl added 3 moving parts and relied on ramped locking surfaces, that do not self adjust for wear.

The ramped thread has been around, since the Egyptians were sitting around betting on which sow the Boar would mount.

Flippy caps suck purely for the insult to progress.

I'm not sure WTF the point of the new Husky flippy turneys is, other than bieng tool less.
No, at first look, I ain't a fan.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I don't get it either. Why re-engineer this part of the saw?

I don't get it either. Why re-engineer this part of the saw?

To give the customers what they want ;) The fact that they are interchangeable doesn't lock anyone into a certain choice, so if you prefer one over the other it's entirely up to you what you use ;)

Howdy,
It seems to me that I read, or heard that the reason for the flip top is so the operator can more easily refuel without removing gloves.
Regards
Gregg

Latest posts

Back