The principle of buying local.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm so torn. I want to support my local dealer and establish a relationship of trust with them. This is hard when I can get everything I need elsewhere (online) for cheeper. I asked him for a quote on an item he didn't have in stock and he pulls out a wesspur catalog and says he "come pretty close to that". I can certainly count on having to pay sales tax and on a $300 item that adds up fast. So what is the value of buying local and can you put a price on a good relationship with a dealer? Is losing a sale over $25 his fault for not being flexible as far as a price match or is it mine for not appropriately valuing a dealer relationship? From my perspective, It's win/win if he can give me at the minimum a price match if not beat the price. I don't want to be rude and beat him up over prices but I'm not sure how to discuss this issue with him in the best and most professional and polite manner Who needs to be more flexible here? Do I just need to pay more at first and hope this relationship develops? It's kind of an interesting philosophical question to ponder.

Your thoughts

Sounds like he's chosen his way of doing business knowing he's more expensive with nothing in return. The take it or leave it approach.
This is why I buy from the catalogs unless it's an emergency.

I like to buy local too. You got to remember that the online places buy much more volume then the local shop does. Therefor they get it for a better price. My local stihl shop, he is the cheapest around, but the place i buy all my chipper stuff from was $300 cheaper on my Ms880 saw. But they are 3 hrs away, and I would feel really small if something broke asking him to fix a saw I bought else where. We have developed a good relationship that I got his home phone number, and If I need something while he is closed, he will meet me at the shop and get me fixxed up. That to me is worth the extra $300. I know in pa if you buy something off the internet or outta of state, you are supposed to pay what they call use tax. Basically you are paying the sales tax you didn't get charged when you bought it online.

Years ago when I was active in SCUBA we finally got a local shop in Oscoda. It was great not having to drive 35 miles one way to get tanks filled. It was also handy being able to get a replacement strap on the spot.
Yes, his prices were a bit more than mail order, but I bought as much as I could from him trying to help him stay in business. He had other customers that would go so far as to try on wet suits in his shop to find which size fit best, then go mail order them to save money. After about 2 years he closed up because he was losing money. That meant everybody was back to driving the 35 miles one way to get tanks filled. Those folks that had tried on the wet suits were the same ones that complained the loudest about having to drive so far for refills. Go figure!

If your chainsaw dealer stocks parts, provides good warrenty support and knows how to fix 'em, I suggest helping him stay in business.
Rick

Years ago when I was active in SCUBA we finally got a local shop in Oscoda. It was great not having to drive 35 miles one way to get tanks filled. It was also handy being able to get a replacement strap on the spot.
Yes, his prices were a bit more than mail order, but I bought as much as I could from him trying to help him stay in business. He had other customers that would go so far as to try on wet suits in his shop to find which size fit best, then go mail order them to save money. After about 2 years he closed up because he was losing money. That meant everybody was back to driving the 35 miles one way to get tanks filled. Those folks that had tried on the wet suits were the same ones that complained the loudest about having to drive so far for refills. Go figure!

If your chainsaw dealer stocks parts, provides good warrenty support and knows how to fix 'em, I suggest helping him stay in business.
Rick

That's why I buy locally whenever I can. My local Husky guy has fixed stuff that came from the factory as flaws and he's able to do it because he has a real live "knows his stuff" mechanic in the back room. I've bought plenty of stuff online but I've been burned by lack of support. I bought a very, very expensive Kohler laundry sink online. Within a month rust started breaking out on the inside bottom. Defective porcelain. Online guy says call Kohler. Kohler says crate it up and ship it back. 100 lbs. and I pay the shipping. Right.
Phil
And I'll never ever buy another overpriced piece of Kohler junk in my life.

I would not concern your self about it .I never had any luck with any of the Dealers near here.If you have to travel a little bit to save 50.00 or so do it.All they care about is money no loyalty there do what the hell you want to do.
Do you work by yourself? There's a local trucking company called Lone Wolf trucking but there's always two or three trucks sitting in his yard. That seems strange.
Phil

Do you work by yourself? There's a local trucking company called Lone Wolf trucking but there's always two or three trucks sitting in his yard. That seems strange.
Phil

Not always but I used to a lot.I would go out in the woods with truck and saw cut and load a cord bring it home and split it by hand it would take all day.

I buy local as much as I can. I pay more that online but get the satisfaction that one of my neihbors is making a living. And when i get into a jam the man goes out of his way to get me running again. If it's a huge difference on a large purchase ask nicely if he can do anything for you or at least cut you a break on some accessories. I don't think there is a lot of margin on Stihl saws at least. When I was shopping, all the dealers in the area were within $50.00 price wise. The guy I went with wasn't the cheapest but was willing to order what i wanted and knocked some off all the other stuff i needed. On a related note. There is a great movie call "The high cost of Low Prices" It's the story of how Wal - Mart has devastated our small town buisness men. Watch the movie and you'll spend your money at the smaller retailers even if it costs you more. George

i like to think that Joe homeowner that pays 18 bucks to get his chain sharpened and 35 to tune the saw is what keeps the local guys in business, and for sure the rich folk that have tractor loaders with every attachment made to ride around there property, they keep the shops open. not me, i just spend a grand or 2 on saws here and there

I have three Stihl dealers within twenty min of home(give or take). I go to a true pro shop an hour away for most of my stuff. I bought one saw from a close small shop and paid about $180 more then if I drove an hour. My second trip in to that store when I asked about a part for my saw they asked to see it. I brought it in they looked it over pulled the cord once slowely and tried telling me it was blown up cause it had too much compression(it had just come from the other shop after a complete rebuiled). I left and have never been back. The shop further away is great they have three stores and supply most all logging outfits with everything. It's well worth the hour drive even if it's for a chain or some wedges. If they don't have it I order it.
I guess if there good and good to you then help them out. Otherwise don't sweat it and save money. CAD is expensive.

i like to think that Joe homeowner that pays 18 bucks to get his chain sharpened and 35 to tune the saw is what keeps the local guys in business, and for sure the rich folk that have tractor loaders with every attachment made to ride around there property, they keep the shops open. not me, i just spend a grand or 2 on saws here and there

If only that were true. Joe homeowner that gets his chain sharpened once every 3 years and brings in his saw for tune-up only when it won't start after the big storm, isn't enough for a business to keep their doors open.

As for the guy that said he "never had any luck with his Dealers", don't expect them bow down just because you walk in the store. When I moved here about 5 years ago, I needed some parts for a Stihl. I went to a local dealer who treated me ok but nothing to write home about. After about half a dozen trips to the shop getting parts for saws I was fixing and jawing with the owner a few times they warmed up a bit more to me.
Now a days, they often give me a break on prices even though the owner knows that I fix saws for other folks. They will go out of their way to help locate parts for older saws and treat me pretty well overall. It takes time and sometimes a little effort to build a relationship with a dealer, but now they know my face, and I'm not just a number to them.
Rick

The one I was referring to is this way to all who enter. One of my friends uses them for a huge landscaping buisness. He bought three lawnmowers there and they refused to service anything he didn't buy there. they warmed up after he threatened to take his buisness elsewhere. There not friendly to anyone. The others one is a tractor dealership the other is a hardware store. There okay but don't stock parts.

I have a great local dealer, stihl and exmark, he goes out of his way to help me
when i'm in a jam, i know i pay more than buying online but its worth it to me
for the great service..

Bob...:cheers:

I guess it depends on where you are. This area is loaded with dealers of all almost any kind of equipment you can think of. I get to pic from: the guys that don't know #### about what they sell, the guys that know everything and act like they are doing you a favor even talking to you, the guys that are friendly and have decent prices but can't ever seem to get the right parts or in a timely manner, the guys that do great work but add unecessary charges, the guys that will lie to your face thinking you know nothing and don't care if they make a sale, the guys that price some things great but rape you on others.
It's crazy and amusing. Glad to have choices.

If only that were true. Joe homeowner that gets his chain sharpened once every 3 years and brings in his saw for tune-up only when it won't start after the big storm, isn't enough for a business to keep their doors open.

As for the guy that said he "never had any luck with his Dealers", don't expect them bow down just because you walk in the store. When I moved here about 5 years ago, I needed some parts for a Stihl. I went to a local dealer who treated me ok but nothing to write home about. After about half a dozen trips to the shop getting parts for saws I was fixing and jawing with the owner a few times they warmed up a bit more to me.
Now a days, they often give me a break on prices even though the owner knows that I fix saws for other folks. They will go out of their way to help locate parts for older saws and treat me pretty well overall. It takes time and sometimes a little effort to build a relationship with a dealer, but now they know my face, and I'm not just a number to them.
Rick

You knw, I think that is a very good point. Afetr a few trips a dealer usually warms up a bit. Don't expect them to kiss your feet first time thru the door. It's human nature, you have no idea how many idiots the poor dealer has to deal with on a daily basis. G

On the other hand..... if somebody tried to tell me my saw was shot because of excess compression, I might have a few harsh words with the owner and maybe never set foot in the place again.
A good dealer is worth your business, but a crook is a crook no matter what side of the counter he is standing on.
Rick

You pay 18 bucks to have a chain sharpened?? I sharpen my own, but my local shop sharpens them for 5 bucks.... and on the latest greatest automatic sharpener.

As a small business owner, my feeling is that most saw shops are putting themselves out of business. To keep my business operating well, I get extra training, research my area, keep up to date, have the best gear, keep in contact with my peers, try to go the extra mile, am aware of what my competitors are charging and most importantly stay passionate about what I am doing. The day I lose that passion will be the day I move into another industry.

Having said that, I find it hard to get so much as eye contact from most dealers. I live in Sydney Australia and have yet to find a dealer that comes up to 'adequate'. M expectations are not high. I'm knowledgeable about my gear and know how to strip, rebuild and effectively troubleshoot saw problems. I have vac and pressure testers, compression testers, pullers, multimeters and know how to use them all. I'm familiar with the parts numbering scheme of the gear I use (stihl) and usually know the number of whatever I need before I go to my dealer. I find myself in that situation because all the dealers in sydney dont even know that parts exist unless you tell them the number. They dont carry stock except of the most basic items. I occasionally find myself telling them about a new part (HD2 filter, stihl RDR chain, lite bars etc etc) and giving them the part number and the cash.

I'm happy to keep my local (and by local I mean almost anywhere within a 50km drive of Sydney which has a population of over 2million people and is the largest city in aus) business operating but it just isn't worth it. I'm writing off pretty much the entire country of australia in saying this. Prices are usually double, triple or more than prices stateside. Small parts prices can be up to as much as 10 times more. Despite the extra cost, dealers have very little or no knowledge/support. The saddest thing, is that I can usually buy a saw, or a part from the states for 1/2 the price including shipping, and receive it in less time than it takes to order it from my local dealer. Ordered some stuff from baileys last week and received it in 4 days (!). Ordered an RDR chain from my local dealer and it took 3 weeks. The price of the chain was more than double the cost from the states and takes longer. They didnt even know the chain existed.

If you have one of the (very) rare dealers that knows his stuff and either stocks or is willing to stock what you need then support him. I'm happy to pay up to 30% extra for that service. Otherwise, let them go broke. It's not like you'll be missing them anyway. I spend around $8k a year at my local dealer, which is about 1/4 of what I spend on gear annually. What I buy form them mainly is bar oil, spare parts, rolls of chain, helmets, PPE, 2 stroke mix, rakes, ropes. I buy all my saws and some of my parts, books, cd's, climbing and rigging gear from the states. Nobody at my local dealer even bothers to give me the time of day.

Shaun

You pay 18 bucks to have a chain sharpened?? I sharpen my own, but my local shop sharpens them for 5 bucks.... and on the latest greatest automatic sharpener.

i sharpen my own chains but everytime im there, theres some business man the tried to cut out a stump, theres a sign that says new shapening prices 7 off the bar 14 on the bar, probably cuz of idiot ness, i bet he sells them all new bars everytime too ,but they would probably need them

Latest posts

Back