The Psychology of Heating with Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the other day, I was looking at Facebook and read a post by our new Probate Judge. He was complaining that he had to shell out $1000 to fill his oil tank. I've spent maybe $150 on chain, bar oil, gas, and mix and that will last me all winter.

Who is smarter now?

I heat my entire house with my wood stove insert. I had to close my business this year and we are relying on my wifes income. Thanks to the heavy snow in January, things have not been too bad thanks to plowing. I never tried to go with wood alone and have nothing in the oil tank if I run out of wood. Lately, I've picked up some oak skids to mix in with my wood to make sure I last until spring.

That's funny about the Probate judge B!tch!ng about the price of oil. I'm petty sure he's hurting a lot less at the end of the month financially than I am, (hell check to check) for that matter. That said, he's probably not thinking about wood as a heat source, because it might require more effort than simply adjusting a thermostat. Actually he might be a wonderful guy, I'm just speculating, as most people I've met of reasonable income stature, cease spending time doing manual labor in effort to live more economically.

Here is a little note on the psychology as it exists in my home.. last night watching the news, the weather man pointed out that we are in for huge warming spell..

ie: Thursday nights low was 0, but next Fridays high will be above 70.. and she complained.

Why? because along about Monday I will let the stove go out during the day, and then build 1 fire an evening just before bed. And while she won't "be cold" she will "feel cold" without the fire.

Latest posts

Back