The Redundant Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that rig of sails makes a good working sailing ship, main, fore, jumbo and working jib . Real nice when under way, don`t take a big crew to operate, I would sail her to England and back...LOL
Transatlantic sailing scares me, but I like to read the stories about those who capsized and lived to tell about it.

Transatlantic sailing scares me, but I like to read the stories about those who capsized and lived to tell about it.

For the most part I like the sailing part but you can have the capsizing bit!
Havn`t made it to GB or England yet but been to Greenland, just off Iceland and the Flemish Cap, course the Grand Banks and Scotia Shelf, Browns and the like.

Is that your boat Cantdog? And if so can you tell us about it and where you went?
Did you keep a journal, do you have a saw aboard?
John

Gawd no John......That's the Mercantile.......she's a coastal schooner used to take 15-20 paying passengers out on 5-7 day coastal sight-seeing cruises around the mid coast area including Penobscot, Jericho, Blue Hill, and Frenchman's Bays etc. They get to do nearly all the drudgery.....weighing anchor...hoisting the sails...stowing sails...swabbing decks and get to pay for it too!!! She just stopped at the mouth of my harbor to stow the sails.....the wind went away....these sailing ships have no inboard power.......the little boat up under the stern is called the Yawl Boat......usually has a 3-4 cyl diesel..big reduction gear and big propeller......it's used to ferry passengers to and from shore in the coastal town where they might stop over in at night....other than that it's main use is to be the tractor to push the ship along in times of no wind. These are very heavy duty little boats.
There are perhaps a dozen or more similar schooners in the business in this area....summer time thing......

LOL!!! These are my boat/boats......a little smaller scale......but as you can see I do have a saw onboard......sometimes....

Isle au Haut and Bay 382.jpg Isle au Haut and Bay 298.jpg Isle au Haut and Bay 287.jpg Isle au Haut and Bay 291.jpg Isle au Haut and Bay 281.jpg

Beautiful place to live Robin. Do you do much fishing there?

Yes it is.....but now I don't actually live where these pics are taken........though I grew up on the island. If you go back to post 305.....the first pic of looking up the bay from up on the hill........in the background is a mountain......I live on the right hand side of that mountain about 3/4s the way up....about 40 miles away....

However... I have a very cozy cabin on the island literally at the waters edge that we spend as much time as possible at....and the reason I have several boats...no car ferry to the island. I grew up lobster fishing and seining sardines with my father.....saw to much hardship early on to continue with that. We used to set trawls and handline cod and halibut for fun and food but the ground fish stocks have been depleted so what recreational fishing I once enjoyed is gone.

Latest posts

Back