The Redundant Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few more....this a replacement porch post I turned to match 8 others......it was 8"X8"X 8'-10". It is on the corner of a second story porch.......
A pine limb came down and wiped the old post out........

This wasn't done on a copy lathe....all free hand......

View attachment 393502 View attachment 393503 View attachment 393504 View attachment 393505 View attachment 393506 View attachment 393507
Very nice Robin. It looks like you made the lathe bed extension to turn these?

Very nice Robin. It looks like you made the lathe bed extension to turn these?

No Ray.....this actually a Conover Lathe...designed and marketed by Ernie Conover and his son. Designed to be very heavy duty and installed on wooden beds of your choice of length.......in this configuration I can turn 9'-6" between centers. Notice in the fifth pic down....painted post in lathe.....the box under that has the tool rest sitting on it........in the center is a cover ...under that is a compartment that holds all my turning tools, steady rests, jaw chucks etc. On either end of that are two compartments filled with crushed stone.....about 700 lbs. in each one.......

No Ray.....this actually a Conover Lathe...designed and marketed by Ernie Conover and his son. Designed to be very heavy duty and installed on wooden beds of your choice of length.......in this configuration I can turn 9'-6" between centers. Notice in the fifth pic down....painted post in lathe.....the box under that has the tool rest sitting on it........in the center is a cover ...under that is a compartment that holds all my turning tools, steady rests, jaw chucks etc. On either end of that are two compartments filled with crushed stone.....about 700 lbs. in each one.......
Wow, very nice. I will have to google Conover Lathes.

Conover sold business in 1989, and lathes were discontinued soon after. You have some very nice vintage equipment a Robin.

Conover sold business in 1989, and lathes were discontinued soon after. You have some very nice vintage equipment a Robin.

Yes it is........and it is an '89......they were very spendy in the day.....I picked it up local from a guy who bought out a storage locker for something else....it came with around a hundred Buck Bros. turning tools......a number of drill chucks and live centers...drive centers....3/HP TEFC motor......very nice stuff.....and a Nova chuck NIB...Gave $700.00.......less than half the cost of just the head and tail stock and the tool rest new........not something I use a lot but when needed it fits the bill......more than paid for itself turning that one post......

This was a cool project....a wood fired sauna. the building is 12' X 18' with a 4' porch on the end where you fire the stove. This made from native eastern white cedar 6X6.....milled at my ancient diesel powered rotary sawmill......notice no butt joints anywhere.....I milled every piece of wood in this structure (except the PT deck framing and sills) I hand selected all the logs from several different wooding operations in the area. Half dovetailed corners, a hall way inside where you can hang you clothes and an inside wood storage area that will hold a cord and a half....which is about enough wood to do around a million saunas!!!!

View attachment 393511 View attachment 393513 View attachment 393514 View attachment 393515 View attachment 393517
Pretty darn nice I'll say!

Pretty darn nice I'll say!

Thanks......was a lot of work=cost a lot!! Boy it worked well.....go from standing start to 140 degrees in 20 mins on a half dozen 2" X 16" sticks......perhaps a little longer in the winter but didn't take any longer to come to temp than an electric heater...way cheaper to run.....client was adamant "no electricity" for anything.......no electric lights...inside or out.....

Few more....this a replacement porch post I turned to match 8 others......it was 8"X8"X 8'-10". It is on the corner of a second story porch.......
A pine limb came down and wiped the old post out........

This wasn't done on a copy lathe....all free hand......

View attachment 393502 View attachment 393503 View attachment 393504 View attachment 393505 View attachment 393506 View attachment 393507
Ah, the one area of woodworking that I have done very little of . Nice work!

Thanks...I'm no expert or "art" turner.....just a woodworker....makin' a living.....
That external door on your sauna is one great idea! If I could afford it I'd have you fly out here and built me one.
Last week we had 72 degrees of frost here as opposed to only 12 now. So it would be in the sauna for me when it's that cold. Lol

That external door on your sauna is one great idea! If I could afford it I'd have you fly out here and built me one.
Last week we had 72 degrees of frost here as opposed to only 12 now. So it would be in the sauna for me when it's that cold. Lol

If I lived where you do I'd have one!!! Probably not this elaborate......but workable none the less....don't take much....

image.jpg image.jpg I've got the hole dug for a sauna already. Ground water is only 16" from the surface. I was thinking of putting in a 4' dia culvert and insulate it and built the sauna right over top of it all with a submersible pump.
Any thoughts?
If I lived where you do I'd have one!!! Probably not this elaborate......but workable none the less....don't take much....

Latest posts

Back