The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, Brian, Cary great to see you, yep make or break ya for sure on boots Randy and Brian. Yes rebuildable. Anyone have K&N filter experience for saws? I got that 288 from my buddy, so I cleaned it with gas, dried it out. Oiled it today, ran it for a few quick cut's without oil, and had some fines in the carb, not much but figure it was from not oiling filter, or was it from cleaning filter with gas, and not the k&N cleaner?

Randy, Brian, Cary great to see you, yep make or break ya for sure on boots Randy and Brian. Yes rebuildable. Anyone have K&N filter experience for saws? I got that 288 from my buddy, so I cleaned it with gas, dried it out. Oiled it today, ran it for a few quick cut's without oil, and had some fines in the carb, not much but figure it was from not oiling filter, or was it from cleaning filter with gas, and not the k&N cleaner?

It's because you didn't oil it after cleaning.. K&N filters don't filter for #### without the special oil. Seen that happen with dirt bikes and trucks with K&N filters.

Last edited:
It's because you didn't oil it after cleaning.. K&N filters don't filter for #### without the special oil. Seen that happen with dirt bikes and trucks with K&N filters.

Yup! gotta use the cleaner too, we played around like you have and found they are still dirty after gas an solvent, need to get the K&N care kit seems too work the best, they really got you, but it works:msp_wink:

Aaron, Cary Thanks!! Aaron going up to the ranch in Cazadero, where you met John and I that time. Head up if you want, just cleaning some culverts, may scout some future wood and trees. Brian sorry about your saw, hope you can fix it.

Not a good day today. Lost my saw in a tree and it suffered some damage. Got pics and a little more of the story in a separate thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/216768.htm#post3993818

That's a very hard way to learn, sounds like no injuries to you I hope? :msp_scared: Over this past summer/fall I learned the "harder" way. I'm "just about" back to 100% physically. I would rather have replaced some equipment but had to "take it easy" as I recovered and learn from what I did wrong, and NOT do it again. I'm very grateful it wasn't anything "serious". Hope you're next "work day" goes a lot better for ya'. :)
Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Aaron, Cary Thanks!! Aaron going up to the ranch in Cazadero, where you met John and I that time. Head up if you want, just cleaning some culverts, may scout some future wood and trees. Brian sorry about your saw, hope you can fix it.

Hiya Norm,

I'll probably be tied up all day tomorrow. If I can break loose I'll send you a text to see if you're still there.

Other than pride there were no injuries to me. The damage to the saw seems to be minor overall and will be repaired. Just one of those things I will have to learn from. When you make your top cut on oak, I just you need to try and match the bottom cut.

Other than pride there were no injuries to me. The damage to the saw seems to be minor overall and will be repaired. Just one of those things I will have to learn from. When you make your top cut on oak, I just you need to try and match the bottom cut.

I dropped a tree on this 044 a few years back- felling it from the ground-saw got pinched and it went with the tree

View attachment 266250

Best thing in that case imo is leave the saw and run. No saw is worth your life.

Very glad you got away with no injuries, yup its surely a learning experience and a fairly cheap one at that

Yup! gotta use the cleaner too, we played around like you have and found they are still dirty after gas an solvent, need to get the K&N care kit seems too work the best, they really got you, but it works:msp_wink:

The cleaner in the K&N kit is essentially Spray-9, a cleaning product that's SUPER-strong. I get it at Canadian Tire, but should be available anywhere in the states too. Just gotta find the right store, because not everyone sells it.

Anyway, you use the cleaner more than the oil, so when you run out of the special cleaner in the kit, use Spray-9 after and you can keep using the same oil forever.

I'm sure that a K&N helps flow more air on just about anything you use it on, but I'm less convinced about their cleaning abilities.

Last edited:
The cleaner in the K&N kit is essentially Spray-9, a cleaning product that's SUPER-strong. I get it at Canadian Tire, but should be available anywhere in the states too. Just gotta find the right store, because not everyone sells it.

Anyway, you use the cleaner more than the oil, so when you run out of the special cleaner in the kit, use Spray-9 after and you can keep using the same oil forever.

I'm sure that a K&N helps flow more air on just about anything you use it on, but I'm less convinced about their cleaning abilities.

Great info........and I agree completely. They flow great, and probably filter better than any nylon mesh or flocked chainsaw filter................but they're WAY behind oiled foam dirt bike and truck filters (in terms of filtering ability). That's been my experience anyways...

Thanks Dennis, I have patched quite a few holes with JB weld. I have some thin sheet metal that I use with the JB to help form it. Came out pretty nice and seems pretty solid.

Thanks Dennis, I have patched quite a few holes with JB weld. I have some thin sheet metal that I use with the JB to help form it. Came out pretty nice and seems pretty solid.

Looks good in the pic Brian. :msp_thumbup:
Got another video done, this was from back on 11/15. Take a look and enjoy(I hope).

Red Oak Take Down - YouTube

Hello gang, Aaron ended up dropping everything, to race to Jesus's house, our new pup was pretty sicke, spent the day up there nursing him back to health, was worried we were going to lose him, so no cutting. He is much better tonight. with my 2100's I am trying to come up with the best filtration, lot of k&N available, had not messed with them in years, so thanks for all the infoe, just have to figure out an adapter. Good to see you Jim:clap:

I agree Randy, having a good partner, very nice. Glad to see it has not slowed down NHloacal video productions:msp_tongue::clap:

I agree Randy, having a good partner, very nice. Glad to see it has not slowed down NHloacal video productions:msp_tongue::clap:

"NHlocal video productions" HA HA HA !!! :msp_lol: :msp_lol: :msp_lol:
Honestly Norm, that's the first time I've heard that one. That's good, I like it. :hmm3grin2orange:
Maybe I'll use it.....;)
Thanks Norm! :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back