The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
150$ to rebuild is not bad, but I am not sure if there is a such thing as an affordable fork anymore LOL. The last time I was looking at them they were about +/- 700$ for a new one. Check ebay you might be able to find a decent one used. I like Marzocchi, they are bullet proof and pretty simple internals. Fox also make very good suspension as well. Most important thing is trying to match your travel length and axle to crown length. If you dont match those up you can mess up your geometry real bad. Also if you looking used you need to make sure the steerer tube is long enough or you will have to get a new one. The other thing to watch out for is the axle type. There is regular quick release, QR20, 20mm thru alxle, and now there is a couple others, but if you dont get the right one you will need a new hub for your front wheel to work. Probably just made it more confusing lol, but hope that helps some.

Thanks Brian,
Yes it does help some, and yes it also makes it more confusing. :msp_confused:
I've looked at some forks online and "tried" to match the features that mine has, confusing for sure. :msp_unsure:
The one that keeps "stumping" me is the front axle(which I really don't know what I have)and the cantilever brakes.
Oh, and now that you mentioned it, the crown to axle height..... :msp_confused:

Howdy fine band! I cut some hard eucalyptus today, 288 xp all the way, not even a hiccup I love those saws. Took a pic or two, post em later, got a good workout anyway:clap:

Norm, you are a busy man, and you found time to cut? Glad to hear it! :clap:
I had quite a "workout" myself yesterday. Dropped 2 Oaks and 3 large Pines.
Got 3 more large Pines to drop tomorrow to finish the job. :dizzy: I did manage to get some
pics and video. Here's a few.....

The house is just out of the picture to the left, with wires directly above/behind.....

attachment.php

These are the three I was able to get down yesterday.....

attachment.php

I had a "visitor"(about 15' below me)while I was setting the pull rope in Pine #2, can you see what it is.....?

attachment.php

Love that 385(32" bar for reference).....

attachment.php

Needed a "little" help with the pull rope, could I have lined it up any better?(it's a 60' log) :msp_rolleyes:

attachment.php

Nice looking stumps, and bat. Good to see this thread still going. I am in NH right now, in Tamworth. You folks have a great state here.

Randy I can't remember if I've already asked you this...............but whereabouts in NH are you? My FIL is in SW NH, near Keene.

I'm on the SW side of Lake Winnipesaukee, not lake front, but I can look down my street and see Paugus Bay. ;)

.....here are some of the beautiful views I was taking in yesterday.....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Here is a job I have been working on. One full day in a 50' lift and 2 1/2 hours this morning. This is the end result. I had no before pictures.

u3uryqah.jpg

59" bar on the 880
ezygupez.jpg

uveqa6yr.jpg

Got a phone call today, looks like this weekend warrior gets to do a selective cutting and cleanup of dead stuff in a 30 acre patch of hard woods. I love those kinds of calls!

Hey everyone, how are you all?? Haven't been on the computer (and likewise this site) a lot this past year or so.

There is just some sad news I wanted to share with everyone and a really sobering reminder to be extra careful when working :

Arborist, 40, dies in freak accident on the job

Now I can't say I really knew the guy, I spoke/saw/met him twice in my life, last time was a few months back, but he seemed like an all around good guy, its really sad his life was cut tragically short. Please keep his family in your prayers.

Hey everyone, how are you all?? Haven't been on the computer (and likewise this site) a lot this past year or so.

There is just some sad news I wanted to share with everyone and a really sobering reminder to be extra careful when working :

Now I can't say I really knew the guy, I spoke/saw/met him twice in my life, last time was a few months back, but he seemed like an all around good guy, its really sad his life was cut tragically short. Please keep his family in your prayers.

That's really sad to see read.

I know from people here on this site it was recommend that I buy a wire flip line for that reason and I can see after climbing how it can happen easily:frown:

That's really sad to see read.

I know from people here on this site it was recommend that I buy a wire flip line for that reason and I can see after climbing how it can happen easily:frown:
So very tragic and so very sad.
My very deepest, sincerest condolences and sympathies to his young family and all those who knew him.
It is a VERY sobering reminder for me to TRIPLE CHECK my life supports EVERY time.
I hope and pray some good will come from this.....

I'm not sure I mentioned it but, I had hernia surgery last Monday. :msp_ohmy:
So I've had some time to "catch up" on some "backlog"(pun intended). :hmm3grin2orange:
Recovery is going pretty good, still painful to get up and move around..... :msp_thumbdn:
Here's a video of some pruning I did last month..... :D
Feel free to comment and or criticize, I appreciate any and all of it(that's how I learn;)).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jBRFw78Ja9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This "recovery time" is giving me a chance to get some projects done..... :msp_thumbup:

I changed my climbing saddle over to a Liger style rope bridge.....
attachment.php

Spliced up an HD climbing prusik.....
attachment.php
attachment.php

And spliced an eye on each end of my new rope lanyanrd
attachment.php
attachment.php

And balanced my checkbook too..... :hmm3grin2orange:

This "recovery time" is giving me a chance to get some projects done..... :msp_thumbup:

I changed my climbing saddle over to a Liger style rope bridge.....

Spliced up an HD climbing prusik.....

attachment.php
attachment.php

And spliced an eye on each end of my new rope lanyanrd

attachment.php

And balanced my checkbook too..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like pictures didn't load so I reinserted them.

Still have two I can't get to post up..... :bang::bang::bang:

Attachments

• IMG_8954.jpg
    IMG_8954.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8964.jpg
    IMG_8964.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8995.jpg
    IMG_8995.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Finally got 'em to post..... :msp_thumbup:

Here's the Liger style bridge conversion.....

attachment.php

.....and here's another pic of the two eyes I spliced on my new rope lanyard.....

attachment.php

Been having some trouble getting on, posting on, getting new post updates from Arboristsite, anyone else????? :dunno:

Attachments

• IMG_8986.jpg
    IMG_8986.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8994 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8994 - Copy.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Yes Randy, I have been having trouble with the site, too.
I have not been getting notifications of new posts ever since the site was hacked.
The last few days have not been able to even access the site.:msp_mad:
You are not alone.

Ron

Latest posts

Back