The worth of a BRAND NEW 066 MAG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nonetheless, it's a "brand new" saw. Still old, but not a classic. We can argue until we are blue about the build quality of newer versus older, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an older saw.

I own a 088. It is not that old at all. Luckily, it is new enough to be supported by Stihl, as opposed to the first run 088's. Do you see where I am going with this? If you buy a 15 year old new old saw, you can get parts, but will you be able to get parts in 5 years?

That is making is 20 years old in 5 years. That is when it will start to need work, and that is under pretty good use, unless you are a pro, in which case, you would just buy a new new one.

Jason

What makes you say it is 15 years old - it could both be newer and older than that - but most likely newer, since it is a MAG! :confused:

Also observe that it has an elasto-start handle, when where those introduced?

Last edited:
66Mag.jpg

Best picture that I could come up with...

Ewwwwwwwww nice saw, a true classic too, the new 660's aren't like that square back 066. Thats a 1000.00 saw right there for those that know what it really is. Course those that don't aren't going to annie up much for it. Old ragged out 064's and ragged out 066's still fetch 500-600.00 if they run ok. That one being old but new is kinda like what a 57 Chevy be worth with no miles on it, ALOT!!

I bet thall could get the age with the serial number to find out how old it really is.:)

Don't tell me you got that saw for FREE!?

P.S. Anything under 5 bills is considered free. LOL

Haha :). Nope, this one wasnt free. Actually had to pay pretty good money for it, cant say that I stole it. But considering what it is, and the fact that it is new... I'll hold on to it if I cant turn it. I may hold on to it for a week, I may have it for the next 10 years. It wont lose value sitting on the mantle haha.

I bet thall could get the age with the serial number to find out how old it really is.:)

Maybe,LOL I do know I could take that saw and put it in the shop for sale and fetch a grand for it in no time flat. Those saws were very very very popular. Finding one like that one would be tuff which means they gotsa payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for it if they want it,LOL

Ewwwwwwwww nice saw, a true classic too, the new 660's aren't like that square back 066. Thats a 1000.00 saw right there for those that know what it really is. Course those that don't aren't going to annie up much for it. Old ragged out 064's and ragged out 066's still fetch 500-600.00 if they run ok. That one being old but new is kinda like what a 57 Chevy be worth with no miles on it, ALOT!!

My man Tommy, I couldnt have said it better myself. I was going to use the
"57 Chevy" anology myself- but thought I would be going overboard.

Haha :). Nope, this one wasnt free. Actually had to pay pretty good money for it, cant say that I stole it. But considering what it is, and the fact that it is new... I'll hold on to it if I cant turn it. I may hold on to it for a week, I may have it for the next 10 years. It wont lose value sitting on the mantle haha.

It sure is a sexy saw. . . I sure wouldn't kick her out'a bed for eating wood chips! Hahaha

My man Tommy, I couldnt have said it better myself. I was going to use the
"57 Chevy" anology myself- but thought I would be going overboard.

Well if I was you and didn't need to use that saw I would hang onto it and not put one drop of fuel in it. I got a MS660 thats 4 yrs old now still in the box. Its not worth what your 066 is worth, trust me I know. I also have that exact same saw, the sqaure back. I bought it new in 97. Sold it to a landscaper for 750.00 in 2003. I recently bought it back for 500.00. Why, those sqaure backs in great shape are getting rare. Luckily he treated mine well, its still in great shape. May sell it back to him again someday for 750.00 again,LOLOL

It sure is a sexy saw. . . I sure wouldn't kick her out'a bed for eating wood chips! Hahaha

Haha, I believe I will use this quote on occasion from now on.

Well if I was you and didn't need to use that saw I would hang onto it and not put one drop of fuel in it. I got a MS660 thats 4 yrs old now still in the box. Its not worth what your 066 is worth, trust me I know. I also have that exact same saw, the sqaure back. I bought it new in 97. Sold it to a landscaper for 750.00 in 2003. I recently bought it back for 500.00. Why, those sqaure backs in great shape are getting rare. Luckily he treated mine well, its still in great shape. May sell it back to him again someday for 750.00 again,LOLOL

Yeah, I have a square back 064 that is a user (just threw a couple tanks through it yesterday), and will ensure that this one never gets fueled up- atleast in my possession.

I see both your points also. And to each his own I guess. :)v

But 066 parts are the most available Stihl parts there is. There will be no shortage of those in 20 years I suspect.

Is that with a bar and chain? If so then I would go into business buying them and selling them overseas to our frineds down under. You could make some serious cash. I think we can agree that U.S. wide, 1050-1100 is real world with a bar/chain.

I bought my 660 for 700 used for 2 tanks of fuel. I got a good deal IMO. That 066 would probably sell for around 900 on Ebay, whether it's worth that or not, I don't know. But if I had cash lying around, I'd prolly drop it.:rock:

Well, if you want some smokin deals, give Anthony at Mayer Power a call in Essex MA. He's got a brand new, current model 660 with bar and chain right now for 980, that's not including my discount. So if you want to start a side biz selling to the Aussies, give him a ring, just remember the import tax down there is somewhere near 18 percent, don't forget to to add that into your final price.

And why the hell would someone pay $900 on ebay for a used $980 saw, then have to deal with shipping, and not even having seen the saw in person? That makes ZERO sense. IMHO of course.

Not to derail your thread but just yesterday I bought a 30 yr old 076 and gave the guy 500.00 for it. Its not nearly as in new shape as yours but its in great shape for a 30 yr old saw. I been after that saw for 5 years. The guy finally gave in and said ok, I'll sell it to you. He paid 800.00 for it new, had it 30 years so I think he did ok getting 500.00 for it and I did ok because its one well kept 076. Not nearly as popular a saw as the 066 so that should give you an idea why I say you got a 1000.00 saw on your hands there..

Not to derail your thread but just yesterday I bought a 30 yr old 076 and gave the guy 500.00 for it. Its not nearly as in new shape as yours but its in great shape for a 30 yr old saw. I been after that saw for 5 years. The guy finally gave in and said ok, I'll sell it to you. He paid 800.00 for it new, had it 30 years so I think he did ok getting 500.00 for it and I did ok because its one well kept 076. Not nearly as popular a saw as the 066 so that should give you an idea why I say you got a 1000.00 saw on your hands there..

You were looking for that particular saw for 5 years. You are probably one of about maybe 25 people in the country looking for that particular saw. This is comparing apples to oranges here, and would only apply in this situation if someone was searching high and low for this particular saw for quite sometime. ALSO with the current rate of inflation, that guy paid about 3 grand for that saw 30 years ago in todays dollar, so you see, your logic really doesn't apply here.

You were looking for that particular saw for 5 years. You are probably one of about maybe 25 people in the country looking for that particular saw. This is comparing apples to oranges here, and would only apply in this situation if someone was searching high and low for this particular saw for quite sometime. ALSO with the current rate of inflation, that guy paid about 3 grand for that saw 30 years ago in todays dollar, so you see, your logic really doesn't apply here.

I think your numbers may be a wee bit off :).

I think your numbers may be a wee bit off :).

Yeah, I kind of sounded like a jerk too. BUT, I was trying to make a point. What I meant was that he paid a premium for a saw that he really really really really wanted. I think my inflation numbers were pretty close though. $800 bucks went a much longer way in 1979 than it does now. $800 adjusted for inflation between 1978 to 2009 is $2601.89, so yeah, I was off by $400.

Last edited:

Hmmmmmmmmm then why are you calling a saw thats about 15 yrs old that sold for around 900 not worth a grand now using your rate of inflation, why by joe it would be worth more than a grand huh???

Fact is the saw is worth around a grand but to you its not which reminds me, what would you give for that saw? Now remember its a private sale, you may low ball your dealer but its not likely your going to low ball this 066 here..

Yeah, I kind of sounded like a jerk too. BUT, I was trying to make a point. What I meant was that he paid a premium for a saw that he really really really really wanted. I think my inflation numbers were pretty close though. $800 bucks went a much longer way in 1979 than it does now. $800 adjusted for inflation between 1978 to 2009 is $2601.89, so yeah, I was off by $400.

You think 500.00 for that 076 was a bit much, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I wanted it...

That is my point, one doesn't know by a picture alone. Metal tagged 066, I was just shootin from the hip...

Jason

Well, that "point" didn't show at all in the post I referred to, but wtf! :)

Also, I doubt that parts will be a problem, specially on a saw that will not be used! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Hmmmmmmmmm then why are you calling a saw thats about 15 yrs old that sold for around 900 not worth a grand now using your rate of inflation, why by joe it would be worth more than a grand huh???

Fact is the saw is worth around a grand but to you its not which reminds me, what would you give for that saw? Now remember its a private sale, you may low ball your dealer but its not likely your going to low ball this 066 here..

That would make sense, if there wasn't a newer and better model available for the same price. Why on earth would anybody pay the same money for a saw that is 15 years older, and arguably less capable?
Your situation is like dealing with a classic car. You wanted that piece for some reason other than for proffesional use, sure you may be planning on using it in the field, but it's special to you for another reason, and that is why you paid what you did. Remeber classic cars arent classics untill they're 20yo LOL

Back