Think I need a second saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a similar situation except i have a Husky 359 which is a great saw but i was running into a lot of 30" + stuff, i bought a J-red 2186 (85cc) w/28" bar for the big stuff and i will never regret it, a 60cc saw will do it but you will work way harder than you would with a bigger saw, i just cleaned up a pile of 40" oak the county dropped and nobody wanted to mess with, 2 hours later i took home a 1 1/2 cords of solid oak. Go big.

I was in your exact same position last year. I had a MS250 when I bought my OWB and thought that was going to be enough saw for me (before I started coming here). That saw was kicking my but trying to buck 15-30 inch red oak. After a couple of weeks I went to my Stihl dealer and he showed me the MS441 and let me try it. It was hard not to buy it right then after trying it but, I didn't have the $800+ for it. I asked if they had any used MS441's but of course they didn't. They did have a used MS440 which a 70 year old man bought last year but was not able to start it. I bought it right then for $400. It has turned out to be the best saw I could have bought. It cuts threw anything I bring it to with ease compared to the MS250. In fact I had a small job to do and started using the MS250 (I thought it was getting sad not being used any more) and quickly got the MS440 out to finish. All that to say you will not be disappointed getting a bigger saw no matter what brand. Oh, and my back doesn’t hurt when I cut any more.

Bought 757

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input and advice. I am waiting for an ebay 757 to show up at my door. I will update once I have tried it on a few logs.

Update of 757

Well I wanted to give everyone an update. First let me say that switching to non-safety chains made a HUGE difference in speed of cut even with the MS250. Unfortunately I had the bug for a bigger saw by the time I used the yellow stihl chains so I had to go ahead and spend some money.
The 757 was in pretty good shape from the ebay seller, I added gas and oil and it started on the 3rd or 4th pull. I did change the chain also. The saw cuts easily 3 or 4 times faster than my ms250 and ran well, I do think I need to turn the idle up a little. It stalled on me a couple times while idling. With a new chain I was buried in chips in about 15 minutes. It didn't take long to burn a tank of gas(maybe 20 minutes), but the speed of cut compared to what I am used to was an incredible improvement. It is also possible that I was having so much fun it just seemed like 20 minutes. My only other comment is that the saw is both physically larger and heavier than I thought it would be, but it definitely has no problems with 30 inch logs. I want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it and will enjoy continuing to read this forum and findout out if I need to add a 60cc saw!

Well I wanted to give everyone an update. First let me say that switching to non-safety chains made a HUGE difference in speed of cut even with the MS250. Unfortunately I had the bug for a bigger saw by the time I used the yellow stihl chains so I had to go ahead and spend some money.
The 757 was in pretty good shape from the ebay seller, I added gas and oil and it started on the 3rd or 4th pull. I did change the chain also. The saw cuts easily 3 or 4 times faster than my ms250 and ran well, I do think I need to turn the idle up a little. It stalled on me a couple times while idling. With a new chain I was buried in chips in about 15 minutes. It didn't take long to burn a tank of gas(maybe 20 minutes), but the speed of cut compared to what I am used to was an incredible improvement. It is also possible that I was having so much fun it just seemed like 20 minutes. My only other comment is that the saw is both physically larger and heavier than I thought it would be, but it definitely has no problems with 30 inch logs. I want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it and will enjoy continuing to read this forum and findout out if I need to add a 60cc saw!

Good deal, Im glad it worked out for you. Switching to a pro saw from the ol ms250 is a trip huh?

1st. Take A Chain Saw safety course , The Pro saws that are being recommended to are a totaly different Animal compared to the Stihl MS250 you have been using. Look for a local Husky dealer and Buy A Husqvarna 372xpw while you still can. Peace

Weeeeellllll now....

Welcome to the club. Shindaiwa may not be the fastest or the best but I still think they make decent equipment for the money. The 757 does have some weight to it but doesn't take much muscle on the down cut. I haven't put much time on the 757 but the smaller saws have seen some hours and hold up well.

I'd like to run a 359 and a 361. I'm too cheap to buy new and can't find a decent deal on a used one. End up spending all my saw money on Shindaiwa's.

Like everywhere else, the top dogs in the PNW are Stihl and Husky but the few folks I've talked to with J-Red's speak highly of them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back